FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Tony Stewart losing co-sponsor

<<

HTower

Post Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: Tony Stewart losing co-sponsor

beaverpond wrote:I think what Annalee said hit it right on the head.

Which could be the reason why Staples got out several years ago. I know for quite some time, they were closing stores and having to lay off employees as well. It would look pretty bad to still sponsor a car and close extra stores and lay off additional employees.

You have to maintain a balance between advertising and laying off employees. You can't cut all advertising to keep from laying off employees. A month later you would end up laying off even more employees. Balance is key. Not to tight or too loose through the corners.
<<

ndunn

Post Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:24 am

This has to be a sad thing for Office Depot. Everything I've read is that they were proud to be associated with SHR. The stockholders will only take so much loss before they toss out the fun stuff. It was no problem for them to drop Carl Edwards when Rousch wanted way too much money and they came to Tony and he didn't ask for the moon. It's not personal it's business.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Banjo14

Post Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:58 am

These next few months will be difficult for owners and managers of all NASCAR teams, not just the ones looking for sponsors. November election results and fourth quarter profit/loss reports will affect other teams besides SHR and Roush-Fenway. I'm starting to worry that the new cars will hafta be delayed, I mean, who can afford a total retool right now? Who'da thought 6 months ago that Danica Patrick would be the only fully-funded SHR driver for 2013?
GO LIKE STINK, SHR!
<<

racer1

Post Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:26 am

"Who'da thought 6 months ago that Danica Patrick would be the only fully-funded SHR driver for 2013?"

Well-dont bet the farm on that either. While the founder Bob Parsons knows Danicas value to Godaddy and once said they woukld follow her anywhere, even to ice skating, he did sell it around 3 yrs ago and now this yr finally they are changing everything around with Godaddy, trying different things etc. One thing for certain as iam sure everyone has noticed is NO more sexy commercials using Danica or anyone else, hence the new in/out commercial (dumb). Course they've said Danica represents them well regardless so most still believe this FT deal will happen, but since her contract with them expires next yr, I dont see them making this a multi yr deal in Cup at this point. Beside SHR may have bigger problems with its main drivers and co owner not having FT sponsors, so will Godaddy assist in that, anything is possible, but dont count on anything untill its announced.

Everyone including me IS assuming it IS a done deal including Nascar and all the media and it very well may be a done deal, but given the climate with sponsors nothing is certain. Since Godaddy is no longer using Danica in commercials anymore and they ARE changing everything around, even new executuves reportedly, new main page, (see Godaddy) dont count on anything. On the other side, Danicas personal team reportedly has wanted her OUT of the Godaddy sexy (some considerer even slutty) image also, so it may be a mutual departure sooner or later. Course with Godaddy going conservative & doing away with the "sex sells" approach, who knows how or if they will use Danica other then just letting her represent them as everyone knows she Is the Godaddy girl, as mentioned and Godaddy just had a press release stating that the she, the Godaddy girl will be driving a pink car in Charlotte for the breast cancer PR.

I personally dont care either way as she should have no problem with other sponsors. Godaddy has done well by her and vice versus, as they are and have been a great sponsor for her, despite the image some dont like, so this deal probalby will haoppen for next yr anyway but for the future--nothing is certain? 8-)
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:10 pm

I just hope it's settles ASAP so it doesn't mess him or the team up over worry about not having a full season next yr. You know it's in the back of their minds & it will have some impact whether they think it does nor not.

I'd hate to have to see Tony miss some races because lack of sponsorship :shock:
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

beaverpond

Post Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:44 pm

I don't think we would see that. I think we would see something like what has happened with Ryan where Gene Haas has thrown his name on the car for a race here and a race there.

I mean think about it. How many minor sponsors did Ryan have where they would sponsor maybe 2 or 3 races this season. Look at all those sponsors that Ryan has and most of them did not come out of the woodwork until November. I realize that some of these that I am going to list are major sponsors, but they all have or are going to appear on his car this season.

Outback Steakhouse
A3 Animal Rescue
Aspen Dental
Tornadoes
Quicken Loans
US Army
Haas Automation
Bass Pro Shops
Wix Filters
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:43 am

I forgot about Haas sponsoring Ryan but now that you rbought that up, I do remember one race like that.
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:58 am

Office Depot helped Smoke get this deal started. Anyone who boycotts them for having to make a business decision is being plum silly. Those of us that are Stewart fans ought to be grateful to them for four great years.

I sure hope they remain on the car as an associate, would hate to see them leave altogether, but I understand they've got decisions to make. It isn't like Old Spice, trading Tony for Fabio - now THERE'S something boycott worthy. I kept wearing it anyway - the money just isn't there for stock car racing right now.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

beaverpond

Post Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:58 am

I just happening to be watching Tony's speech from last years awards presentation and he named every single sponsor including those tied to the engines, tires, suspensions, ect...

Guess who he left off the list...yup, Office Depot. I wonder if they were holding a little bit of a grudge over that and maybe it was a contract year for them and this was their way out for them after that little faux paux of Tony's.

I am not saying that Office Depot may not be having financial trouble which gave them the added incentive to use that as an excuse or added reason. But it does make me wonder and only time will tell for sure because leaving out your biggest sponsor out of the speech is a pretty big mistake.
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
<<

kim92164

Post Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:43 am

I had noticed that last year when Tony made the speech, but I figured it was nerves. Maybe he knew then that they wouldn't be renewing their sponsorship too.
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:46 am

He meant to include Office Depot, because he talked about them helping him take care of business which of course has been Office Depot's slogan for years. He just put Mobil 1 in there instead by accident.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
Previous

Return to Tony