All things Tony
Post a reply

Tony wrecks himself finishes 19th

Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:05 pm

A shame. Such a fast car. First the pit crew screws up and he went all the way to 25th. But drove up to second. Then he slipped and wrecked. Disappointing day for Tony.

Re: Tony wrecks himself finishes 19th

Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:25 pm

I hate to say it but maybe he should pay a little more attention to his cup ride than his dirt races. Granted, he should be able to do whatever he wants, but he seems to be playing catch-up all the time. Maybe he just likes to do things the hard way. He comes in, practices, then leaves to go dirt racing. He comes back, qualifies, then leaves to go dirt racing. He comes back and races. Every time he leaves he puts a ton of pressure on his team to try to get the car right by themselves. When he comes back to race, if everything isn't right with the car, he has to work that much harder. Maybe it's just me, but the older I get, the more I appreciate things getting easier, not harder. Granted, I have a few years on him :lol:

Re: Tony wrecks himself finishes 19th

Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:00 pm

I don't think him racing so much dirt was the reason he lost it. He was just driving a little too hard a wrecked trying to get the lead from Keselowski (how did Keselowski become so good at Watkins Glen? His car was fast as ####). He says it helps him. He is getting older and wants to have more fun. Cup racing is his job. Dirt racing is his passion.

Sad thing is if he hadn't wrecked he might have won.

Re: Tony wrecks himself finishes 19th

Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:17 pm

There was oil on the track and alot of drivers were complaining about it,Tony probly spun out in it as Kyle went completely off the track in it to pass BK the end of the race.Overall i thought the race was actual racing aside the oil slick,but it did add to the excitement.Ricky Craven opened mouth and inserted foot again on Speed Report saying it was out of Tonys character to spin out like that,evidently he didn't watch the race or wasn't aware of the oil.Ricky should just stick to idolizing Jimmy Johnson as he always does. ;)
This is what racing use to be and bettween Ambrose,BK and Kyle and i didn't hear an interview with Kyle but neither Marcos or BK were crying about it.They thought it was fun and i sure as heck did to,congrads to them for being racers and even more so for Marcos for the win! :D BTW,Tony was very impressive too,i think the oil is what ruined his day,i'd of loved to see him race against BK to see how that would have turned out.

Re: Tony wrecks himself finishes 19th

Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:58 pm

On the scanner he said it was his fault and because of the rain and oil he just lost it.... :( :( Give him a little more time and I think he would have been right back at the front......and he would have won it! Shoulda, coulda, woulda....On to Michigan....(I think or is it Bristol)????? :roll:

If you watched PRE race on ESPN you would know why Tony loves dirt racing .....he said some of the drivers relax on the beach, others exercise by running Triathlons to relax and Tony loves to race dirt tracks to relax and for exercise.....THAT'S OUR TONY!!!!!!!!.......... IT IS WHAT HE DOES AND WHO HE IS..... :lol: 8-). AND THAT IS WHY WE LOVE HIM!!! :)
Last edited by Annalee on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Tony wrecks himself finishes 19th

Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:08 pm

Smokeshow14 wrote:I don't think him racing so much dirt was the reason he lost it. He was just driving a little too hard a wrecked trying to get the lead from Keselowski (how did Keselowski become so good at Watkins Glen? His car was fast as ####). He says it helps him. He is getting older and wants to have more fun. Cup racing is his job. Dirt racing is his passion.

Sad thing is if he hadn't wrecked he might have won.

Stay tuned,more to come from BK and Penske and yes he is that good and if Penske can put it together with Ford,we'll see alot more excitement and championships from BK.

Re: Tony wrecks himself finishes 19th

Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:28 pm

The title of this thread is a little misleading i think.....while he did wreck with no contact with another car he hardly wrecked himself without a little help from the conditions on the track.

I was so impressed by his performance overall today. After the mishap on pit road he was a man on a mission......I'm a fan for life.

Re: Tony wrecks himself finishes 19th

Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:39 pm

There was no oil at the time. Maybe still a bit wet from the rain. But he still wrecked himself and he knows it. It happens to the best of them and he is certainly one of the best. That is why I am a Tony Stewart fan no excuses, owned up to it and ran as hard as he could after that.

Re: Tony wrecks himself finishes 19th

Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:56 pm

Notice this: Brad, Marcos, Tony never once complained about the oil on the track other than to say...one way or another...that it is just part of racing. Then you have Junior who spent the entire time acting like a cry baby about it. Geez man, get a life. What a wimp.

I don't know what is worse, seeing somebody throw a temper tantrum and give an interview when things don't go their way or somebody being a cry baby and give an interview. If you ask me, don't ask them for an interview when they are like this.

Re: Tony wrecks himself finishes 19th

Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:36 am

Annalee wrote:On the scanner he said it was his fault and because of the rain and oil he just lost it.... :( :( Give him a little more time and I think he would have been right back at the front......and he would have won it! Shoulda, coulda, woulda....On to Michigan....(I think or is it Bristol)????? :roll:

If you watched PRE race on ESPN you would know why Tony loves dirt racing .....he said some of the drivers relax on the beach, others exercise by running Triathlons to relax and Tony loves to race dirt tracks to relax and for exercise.....THAT'S OUR TONY!!!!!!!!.......... IT IS WHAT HE DOES AND WHO HE IS..... :lol: 8-)


Michigan it is!!!! :P

Re: Tony wrecks himself finishes 19th

Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:52 am

wolfgang wrote:There was oil on the track and alot of drivers were complaining about it,Tony probly spun out in it as Kyle went completely off the track in it to pass BK the end of the race.Overall i thought the race was actual racing aside the oil slick,but it did add to the excitement.Ricky Craven opened mouth and inserted foot again on Speed Report saying it was out of Tonys character to spin out like that,evidently he didn't watch the race or wasn't aware of the oil.Ricky should just stick to idolizing Jimmy Johnson as he always does. ;)
This is what racing use to be and bettween Ambrose,BK and Kyle and i didn't hear an interview with Kyle but neither Marcos or BK were crying about it.They thought it was fun and i sure as heck did to,congrads to them for being racers and even more so for Marcos for the win! :D BTW,Tony was very impressive too,i think the oil is what ruined his day,i'd of loved to see him race against BK to see how that would have turned out.


Nope, oil was from Nemechek's car.. He lost engine two or three laps to end..
Last edited by palino_s on Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Tony wrecks himself finishes 19th

Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:03 am

Rochelle wrote:I hate to say it but maybe he should pay a little more attention to his cup ride than his dirt races. Granted, he should be able to do whatever he wants, but he seems to be playing catch-up all the time. Maybe he just likes to do things the hard way. He comes in, practices, then leaves to go dirt racing. He comes back, qualifies, then leaves to go dirt racing. He comes back and races. Every time he leaves he puts a ton of pressure on his team to try to get the car right by themselves. When he comes back to race, if everything isn't right with the car, he has to work that much harder. Maybe it's just me, but the older I get, the more I appreciate things getting easier, not harder. Granted, I have a few years on him :lol:


Yep it is.. But Indy was worse - he was racing, when Zippy and Steve was working on his car whole night..
Last edited by palino_s on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Tony wrecks himself finishes 19th

Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:22 am

I think the dirt racing is Tony's way of staying in the game. For so long he had to listen to and do what the owner wanted and now "he is the owner". He has said over and over in interviews it is his way of getting back to reality when things close up on him. I doubt if Tony wastes much time and he knows exactly where he is on everything. When his life got tied up in knots a few years ago he moved back to Columbus where his friends were and where everyone stayed off his back. I don't think the fans really know what a racecar drivers life is all about. It's the owner, the race team, the sponsors, NASCAR, the fans, the fact they want a championship so bad they can taste it, they have to be careful what they say so not have NASCAR get into their checkbook. We the outsiders sit back and watch and that is it. We complain when our favorite isn't winning every race and that is part of the sport but we have to realize no one is perfect. I'm sure the complaining goes right over their heads as they think "fans get in a race car and put your life on the line " every race day.

Re: Tony wrecks himself finishes 19th

Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:26 am

Hearing you say that makes me think of the television ad with Clint Bowyer having to deal with the fan who taps into his radio and tries to tell him how to drive and he ends up wrecking his car.

Re: Tony wrecks himself finishes 19th

Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:37 pm

beaverpond wrote:Hearing you say that makes me think of the television ad with Clint Bowyer having to deal with the fan who taps into his radio and tries to tell him how to drive and he ends up wrecking his car.

That darn "Tommy" on the radio again. ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Post a reply