FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Tony Stewart to test tires at Bristol

<<

Smokeshow14

Post Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:26 pm

Tony Stewart to test tires at Bristol

Staff report Sporting News

Three drivers will get the first look at the revamped Bristol Motor Speedway as part of a Goodyear tire test scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday.

The grinding of the upper groove was completed on the 0.533-mile concrete oval last week. The changes are designed to diminish the upper lane and create only two racing grooves.

Tony Stewart, Jeff Burton and Clint Bowyer are scheduled to test Tuesday and Wednesday but rain is in the forecast for Tuesday. The test is closed to the public and media.

The track was resurfaced and reconfigured in 2007 to include progressive banking. The move changed the layout from a one-groove track where contact often was required to pass to a track with two or more racing grooves, which spread out the field and created more side-by-side racing.

The track was banked 28 degrees in the turns on the upper groove and closer to 24 degrees in the lower groove. Track workers did the grinding about 12-15 feet from the outside wall to decrease the banking.

The changes are designed to encourage more rough racing, a staple of former Bristol races. The track seats 158,000 but only approximately 80,000 attended the race in March, sparking track owner Bruton Smith to order the changes.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nascar/stor ... z1xXuphgrB
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

Annalee

Post Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:12 am

Re: Tony Stewart to test tires at Bristol

The weather may play a part in this test. It is a drizzle mostly with a pop up shower. If there is anyone who could really benefit from a test there it would be Tony. Hope this helps him, Bristol has not been a good track for him.

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:32 am

Re: Tony Stewart to test tires at Bristol

Hopefully, this will give Tony some advanced insight into how the "new" Bristol needs to be driven.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14

Return to Tony