All things Tony
Post a reply

Driver of the Year Award

Thu May 03, 2012 9:29 pm

So here was a tweet from SHR today...

"Stewart-Haas Racing‏@StewartHaasRcng:
Tony in a tux tonight as he is honored as DOTY at the Intl Motorsports HOF in 'dega. Remember last time he wore a tux?"

So, I understand he's receiving a Driver of the Year Award at the International Motorsports Hall of Fame. Does anyone know anything about this? I tried to google it but it really didn't say much. I was just curious because, frankly I didn't even know that place existed.

And when was the last time Tony was in a Tux? It didn't look like a Tux in Vegas so where was it?

Re: Driver of the Year Award

Thu May 03, 2012 9:52 pm

MyLadyWhiteWolf wrote:So here was a tweet from SHR today...

"Stewart-Haas Racing‏@StewartHaasRcng:
Tony in a tux tonight as he is honored as DOTY at the Intl Motorsports HOF in 'dega. Remember last time he wore a tux?"

So, I understand he's receiving a Driver of the Year Award at the International Motorsports Hall of Fame. Does anyone know anything about this? I tried to google it but it really didn't say much. I was just curious because, frankly I didn't even know that place existed.

And when was the last time Tony was in a Tux? It didn't look like a Tux in Vegas so where was it?

here's link about the International Motorsports Hall of Fame
http://www.motorsportshalloffame.com/ma ... istory.htm

He was wearing a tux in Vegas, just not the traditional kind

http://www.kwch.com/photos/kwch-photos- ... 4603.photo

Re: Driver of the Year Award

Thu May 03, 2012 10:08 pm

Thanks for the links. I guess it was a Tux. I'm not up on the latest tux fashions for men I guess.

As for the HOF link, yup, that's where I was and I still didn't see any mention of the actual award. I must be tired. I think I'll look again tomorrow. ;)

Re: Driver of the Year Award

Thu May 03, 2012 10:49 pm

Awesome to see him getting honored.

What most don't realize that what we saw last season in the chase is something that I doubt we will ever see again.
Last edited by Smokeshow14 on Thu May 03, 2012 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Driver of the Year Award

Thu May 03, 2012 11:08 pm

Smokeshow14 wrote:Awesome to see him getting honored.

Why most don't realize that what we saw last season in the chase is something that I doubt we will ever see again.


I know one person that realizes it, Carl, every time he looks in his rear view mirror and sees Tony coming! ;) ;) I have rewatched that race at least six times and every time it is still unbelievable. He is simply "The Best"!

Re: Driver of the Year Award

Fri May 04, 2012 10:09 am

Here are some links I found about the event from Thursday night:

http://www.dragzine.com/news/force-bern ... l-of-fame/

http://www.nascar.com/news/120503/mauma ... ef=/jayski

Re: Driver of the Year Award

Fri May 04, 2012 11:58 am

Thanks to all that provided the links and information in this thread. I enjoyed every word of it and will never forget what the content meant. I think at times we forget what the history is and that to be a race driver is not just jumping into a race car and hitting the gas when they reach the start finish line. I loved reading names from history of racing especially the Indy cars. I followed them for years. I just hope that when a driver complains about having to give some time to the sponsor etc. that they remember what the early guys did to make a living and get very little money for it. It was desire and passion and sharing a small place with 3 other guys. Even tho it wasn't among the stories from the links I have to give the wives and families of these drivers a great deal of credit for hanging in there and sharing the joy that their spouses had. It couldn't have been easy for any of them.

Re: Driver of the Year Award

Fri May 04, 2012 12:13 pm

Annalee, your enthusiasm is contagious and a breath of fresh air around here.

When I saw Tony at a recent Office Depot signing I told him I was so proud to be a fan of his....he just said thanks

Re: Driver of the Year Award

Fri May 04, 2012 1:00 pm

Lizard wrote:Here are some links I found about the event from Thursday night:

http://www.nascar.com/news/120503/mauma ... ef=/jayski


Great article with Red Farmer. SHR tweeted he was giving Tony the award so I bet that was really special! Awesome article. I love these stories.

Re: Driver of the Year Award

Fri May 04, 2012 1:06 pm

ndunn wrote:Thanks to all that provided the links and information in this thread. I enjoyed every word of it and will never forget what the content meant. I think at times we forget what the history is and that to be a race driver is not just jumping into a race car and hitting the gas when they reach the start finish line. I loved reading names from history of racing especially the Indy cars. I followed them for years. I just hope that when a driver complains about having to give some time to the sponsor etc. that they remember what the early guys did to make a living and get very little money for it. It was desire and passion and sharing a small place with 3 other guys. Even tho it wasn't among the stories from the links I have to give the wives and families of these drivers a great deal of credit for hanging in there and sharing the joy that their spouses had. It couldn't have been easy for any of them.


It's easy for a newer NASCAR fan like myself who has only been following it for 15-years to forget this sport has officially been around for what, 57 or so years? And before that it was the moonshine runs that mythically seem to have started it all! When I was in Bristol a few years ago, I bought a bottle of Junior Johnson's moonshine. I never drank it (I figured it would put me in a coma) but I proudly display it next to the 'old school' racing memoriabilia that I have as a reminder to myself that it's not only about what is currently going on, it's also about NASCAR's history!

Also, great point about the NASCAR families and spouses. They sacrifice a lot and I know that true fans really do appreciate that. I know I've enjoyed reading some of Ryan's wife's blogs and following some of them on Twitter. You learn a lot about what it takes to be in this sport on a personal level. So, great point.
Post a reply