FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Driver of the Year Award

<<

MyLadyWhiteWolf

Post Thu May 03, 2012 9:29 pm

Driver of the Year Award

So here was a tweet from SHR today...

"Stewart-Haas Racing‏@StewartHaasRcng:
Tony in a tux tonight as he is honored as DOTY at the Intl Motorsports HOF in 'dega. Remember last time he wore a tux?"

So, I understand he's receiving a Driver of the Year Award at the International Motorsports Hall of Fame. Does anyone know anything about this? I tried to google it but it really didn't say much. I was just curious because, frankly I didn't even know that place existed.

And when was the last time Tony was in a Tux? It didn't look like a Tux in Vegas so where was it?
“I hate to say I'm growing up because it scares me to think I might be but maybe I'm starting to realize there are more things to life than driving a race car.” ~Tony Stewart
<<

Lizard

Post Thu May 03, 2012 9:52 pm

Re: Driver of the Year Award

MyLadyWhiteWolf wrote:So here was a tweet from SHR today...

"Stewart-Haas Racing‏@StewartHaasRcng:
Tony in a tux tonight as he is honored as DOTY at the Intl Motorsports HOF in 'dega. Remember last time he wore a tux?"

So, I understand he's receiving a Driver of the Year Award at the International Motorsports Hall of Fame. Does anyone know anything about this? I tried to google it but it really didn't say much. I was just curious because, frankly I didn't even know that place existed.

And when was the last time Tony was in a Tux? It didn't look like a Tux in Vegas so where was it?

here's link about the International Motorsports Hall of Fame
http://www.motorsportshalloffame.com/ma ... istory.htm

He was wearing a tux in Vegas, just not the traditional kind

http://www.kwch.com/photos/kwch-photos- ... 4603.photo
"If it works for you, do it. If its how you feel, act it. Just be yourself, and if being yourself means you`re being cocky once in a while, have at it." Tony Stewart

"I`m too lazy to work my real job. I love what I do." Tony Stewart
<<

MyLadyWhiteWolf

Post Thu May 03, 2012 10:08 pm

Thanks for the links. I guess it was a Tux. I'm not up on the latest tux fashions for men I guess.

As for the HOF link, yup, that's where I was and I still didn't see any mention of the actual award. I must be tired. I think I'll look again tomorrow. ;)
“I hate to say I'm growing up because it scares me to think I might be but maybe I'm starting to realize there are more things to life than driving a race car.” ~Tony Stewart
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Thu May 03, 2012 10:49 pm

Awesome to see him getting honored.

What most don't realize that what we saw last season in the chase is something that I doubt we will ever see again.
Last edited by Smokeshow14 on Thu May 03, 2012 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

Annalee

Post Thu May 03, 2012 11:08 pm

Smokeshow14 wrote:Awesome to see him getting honored.

Why most don't realize that what we saw last season in the chase is something that I doubt we will ever see again.

I know one person that realizes it, Carl, every time he looks in his rear view mirror and sees Tony coming! ;) ;) I have rewatched that race at least six times and every time it is still unbelievable. He is simply "The Best"!
Image"Fight for Four".......................me
<<

Lizard

Post Fri May 04, 2012 10:09 am

"If it works for you, do it. If its how you feel, act it. Just be yourself, and if being yourself means you`re being cocky once in a while, have at it." Tony Stewart

"I`m too lazy to work my real job. I love what I do." Tony Stewart
<<

ndunn

Post Fri May 04, 2012 11:58 am

Thanks to all that provided the links and information in this thread. I enjoyed every word of it and will never forget what the content meant. I think at times we forget what the history is and that to be a race driver is not just jumping into a race car and hitting the gas when they reach the start finish line. I loved reading names from history of racing especially the Indy cars. I followed them for years. I just hope that when a driver complains about having to give some time to the sponsor etc. that they remember what the early guys did to make a living and get very little money for it. It was desire and passion and sharing a small place with 3 other guys. Even tho it wasn't among the stories from the links I have to give the wives and families of these drivers a great deal of credit for hanging in there and sharing the joy that their spouses had. It couldn't have been easy for any of them.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

onerockindoc

Post Fri May 04, 2012 12:13 pm

Annalee, your enthusiasm is contagious and a breath of fresh air around here.

When I saw Tony at a recent Office Depot signing I told him I was so proud to be a fan of his....he just said thanks
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

MyLadyWhiteWolf

Post Fri May 04, 2012 1:00 pm

Lizard wrote:Here are some links I found about the event from Thursday night:

http://www.nascar.com/news/120503/mauma ... ef=/jayski

Great article with Red Farmer. SHR tweeted he was giving Tony the award so I bet that was really special! Awesome article. I love these stories.
<<

MyLadyWhiteWolf

Post Fri May 04, 2012 1:06 pm

ndunn wrote:Thanks to all that provided the links and information in this thread. I enjoyed every word of it and will never forget what the content meant. I think at times we forget what the history is and that to be a race driver is not just jumping into a race car and hitting the gas when they reach the start finish line. I loved reading names from history of racing especially the Indy cars. I followed them for years. I just hope that when a driver complains about having to give some time to the sponsor etc. that they remember what the early guys did to make a living and get very little money for it. It was desire and passion and sharing a small place with 3 other guys. Even tho it wasn't among the stories from the links I have to give the wives and families of these drivers a great deal of credit for hanging in there and sharing the joy that their spouses had. It couldn't have been easy for any of them.

It's easy for a newer NASCAR fan like myself who has only been following it for 15-years to forget this sport has officially been around for what, 57 or so years? And before that it was the moonshine runs that mythically seem to have started it all! When I was in Bristol a few years ago, I bought a bottle of Junior Johnson's moonshine. I never drank it (I figured it would put me in a coma) but I proudly display it next to the 'old school' racing memoriabilia that I have as a reminder to myself that it's not only about what is currently going on, it's also about NASCAR's history!

Also, great point about the NASCAR families and spouses. They sacrifice a lot and I know that true fans really do appreciate that. I know I've enjoyed reading some of Ryan's wife's blogs and following some of them on Twitter. You learn a lot about what it takes to be in this sport on a personal level. So, great point.

Return to Tony