FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Tony leaves the door open for Darian to return 1 day

<<

Smokeshow14

Post Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:33 pm

Tony leaves the door open for Darian to return 1 day

Marty Smith reported that Tony thanked the three crew chiefs he has had in his cup career, and said that one day he might get Darian Grubb back. Which brings the question did SHR try to get him to perhaps just be an engineer? Is the only reason he isn't here is because he wanted to be Tony's cc and not an engineer? Why wasn't he assigned to Ryan? Did Ryan think he and Darian wouldn't have chemistry?
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

Annalee

Post Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:45 pm

Re: Tony leaves the door open for Darian to return 1 day

SS 14, when did he say that. I missed it. My feeling all along is that Darian was the part of the Zippy deal. I also believe he may be back, cause Tony is going out of his way to compliment him. Who knows!?! I wouldn't put anything past him. :). Just saw it on NASCAR Now!

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

notredamemom2013

Post Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:04 pm

I think that if Tony stated this, he is just trying to be PC for now. I get the feeling that Tony is very happy with his current team and the media just keeps digging. Maybe I am wrong, but just my feelings!
“It doesn’t matter who it is. I’ll make sure that when I do it the next time that the guy doesn’t have the opportunity to come back and wreck me. It is what it is, they know how I race. But if they block me, they will suffer consequences.”
–Tony Stewart
<<

SpeedBeagle

Post Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:57 pm

The media is going to play this for as long as they can- Tony/Steve vs. Denny/Darian. Guaranteed at some point during the season, we will be constantly reminded of how many wins each driver has this season, and don't be surprised to hear a reporter bring it up every time Tony wins a race. I can hear it now: "Tony, a lot of people questioned your decision to fire Darian Grubb after winning the championship last year..." Tony is off to the best start of his career. He has never won a race this early in the season, let alone two. Sounds like he made the right decision to me.

My advice to the media? Drop it now, before Tony has to publicly berate you in the media center for asking the same, stupid question.
go fast, turn left
<<

smokieonefour

Post Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:52 am

Ha ha ha ha Speed Beagle! :-) Very well said :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

Lizard

Post Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:13 am

SpeedBeagle wrote:The media is going to play this for as long as they can- Tony/Steve vs. Denny/Darian. Guaranteed at some point during the season, we will be constantly reminded of how many wins each driver has this season, and don't be surprised to hear a reporter bring it up every time Tony wins a race. I can hear it now: "Tony, a lot of people questioned your decision to fire Darian Grubb after winning the championship last year..." Tony is off to the best start of his career. He has never won a race this early in the season, let alone two. Sounds like he made the right decision to me.

My advice to the media? Drop it now, before Tony has to publicly berate you in the media center for asking the same, stupid question.

But that takes away all the fun of watching Tony verbally berate the stupid question askers ;)
"If it works for you, do it. If its how you feel, act it. Just be yourself, and if being yourself means you`re being cocky once in a while, have at it." Tony Stewart

"I`m too lazy to work my real job. I love what I do." Tony Stewart
<<

ndunn

Post Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:45 am

This will get old forTony but for now he probably is enjoying the positive as they mention how good he is doing. I wish the media would stop the horse shoe bit as that is boring.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Annalee

Post Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:16 pm

I love the relationship between Steve and Tony. Tony has never run better and seemed more relaxed. It is a great combo! You can tell Steve is really glad to be at SHR and with Zippy there it is just icing on the cake!

I #Support Smoke
<<

ndunn

Post Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:40 pm

Annalee wrote:I love the relationship between Steve and Tony. Tony has never run better and seemed more relaxed. It is a great combo! You can tell Steve is really glad to be at SHR and with Zippy there it is just icing on the cake!

I'm sure you right Annalee. Don't they look like brothers who finaly go together again? I don't know how many years they were together at Gibbs Racing but it looks like all three are enjoying where they are.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

smokinTA

Post Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:24 pm

Zippy was Tony's crew chief for 10 years at JGR, from the beginning of 1999, Tony's rookie year, all the way through the end of 2008. Addington was with JGR from 2004 up until 3 months before the end of 2009. They all are great friends and I for one am happy to see them back together again!!
"Excuse me, pardon me, comin' through" ~ Tony Stewart
"Take a deep breath, I've got this" ~ Tony Stewart
<<

smokeshowJOE

Post Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:05 pm

I also liked Steve's response to Tony asking for a right rear rubber to be removed: "I'm going to work on that [handling problem] with wedge". No vacillation, no second-guessing, no 'bowing to the boss', just a crew chief telling his driver what HE was going to do to the car! You go, Steve! :D
_ . . | . || . _ | . . _ . | . . . . _ | _ . . _ | _ _ . |
_ . . _ . | . . . . .
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:54 pm

smokeshowJOE wrote:I also liked Steve's response to Tony asking for a right rear rubber to be removed: "I'm going to work on that [handling problem] with wedge". No vacillation, no second-guessing, no 'bowing to the boss', just a crew chief telling his driver what HE was going to do to the car! You go, Steve! :D

more importantthan all of that. Sounded like Steve already had a plan, & was decisive. I have no clue what that sounds like over a radio.
ImageImageImage
<<

Smokesprincess

Post Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:25 pm

smokinTA wrote:Zippy was Tony's crew chief for 10 years at JGR, from the beginning of 1999, Tony's rookie year, all the way through the end of 2008. Addington was with JGR from 2004 up until 3 months before the end of 2009. They all are great friends and I for one am happy to see them back together again!!

Love seeing them back together too....I soooo missed Zippy!
The greatest thing in life is doing what people say you cannot do! (Unknown)
<<

Annalee

Post Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:51 pm

Ndunn, I have always thought Zippy and Tony looked like brothers. Tony has so much respect for Zippy, and I believe the years they weren't together, Tony realized that. Tony knew that he had to do whatever was necessary to get them together again! And he did it!! It was like a piece of the puzzle was missing and now it has been found. Plus with Steve this is an unbeatable team! They all remind me of a comfortable pair of old shoes, once they were put together and slipped on, all was right with the world! The "Fight for Four" is on. Go get em Team 14!!!!!! :)

I #Support Smoke
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:30 am

:shock: Oooo, I like that, Annalee :D :D :D - "Fight for Four"
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

Countdown to the 2015 Daytona 500
Next

Return to Tony