FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Does Anyone Know?

<<

kim92164

Post Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:49 pm

Does Anyone Know?

A friend of mine seems to think that Tony raced at the old Pennsboro Speedway in Pennsboro, WV several years ago. I was wondering if anyone on here would happen to know & if he did if there might be any pictures of him there? It would be cool if it were true & there were pictures to prove it as we are planning a "Race" day at the nursing home that I work at & most of the residents will remember the track.
<<

smokieonefour

Post Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:03 am

Re: Does Anyone Know?

Kim -

Refer to this link for pics of the speedway in it's hey day -

http://www.rickschwalliephotos.com/flashback/pennsboro/index.html

Refer to this link for pics of the speedway now -

http://www.rickschwalliephotos.com/flashback/pennsboro_recent/index.html

I sincerely hope these pictures bring back some memories and happy times at your race day! :-)

Not sure if Tony ever raced there.
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

kim92164

Post Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:43 am

Thanks, I'll check the sites out. I was only there 1 time and that was back in 72 or 73 for the Hillbilly 100. I was bored, but then again I was only 7 or 8 at the time and my mom wouldn' t let me move. It's a shame that it's just sitting there not being used as a track anymore. I understand that someone with some clout did want to buy it and fix it up to start races again, but it went into the court system for some stupid reason and the sales was stopped. Then several months ago it was sold to someone else and once again some other stupid butt has it tied up in court again to stop the sale. I said that if someone wants to destroy the track, fine, stop the sale. But if they want to return it to racing then go for it. That is Ritchie County's legacy & history. I love racing now, lol. Nothing like getting pelted in the stomach with dirt clods, lol.
<<

ndunn

Post Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:08 pm

I love dirt tracks. A small high bank dirt track was my first experience in watching racing. Nothing like dirt and dust on a Sunday afternoon and wearing white jeans. After a fatal accident the banks were cut down and photographers were no long allowed on the banks a lot of interest was lost and the track was sold and a subdivision was built.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

smokieonefour

Post Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:44 pm

I love dirt tracks too. :-)

There is just a lil magic in raising some dust. ;-)

Love it when that dust settles down on you, too. :-)

Member TLMerk and I found out, that we both visited Baylands Raceway, in Fremont, CA that was a 1/2 mile dirt track. Small world, aint it? :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.

Return to Tony