FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Notebook: Addington Has Good Feeling About A Title With SHR

<<

HiddenHollow

Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:22 pm

Notebook: Addington Has Good Feeling About A Title With SHR

By Dave Rodman, NASCAR.COM
2 hours, 29 minutes ago

It took Tony Stewart just three years to figure out how to win a Cup Series championship as an owner/driver. And in the process, he’s converted a couple of former teammates at Joe Gibbs Racing into believers of a calmer, but no less effective driver on the race track.

Stewart’s former crew chief, Greg Zipadelli, took a position as Stewart-Haas Racing’s director of competition in mid-December. Just before that, Steve Addington left Penske Racing to become Stewart’s crew chief.

Addington said last week during testing at Daytona that he’s feeling pretty sharp heading into 2012 and considering he’s worked with championship contenders for years, that’s saying something.

“It’s exciting and the thing is, [Stewart’s] about his guys and I can see that already,” Addington said. “The guys have all the confidence in the world in [Stewart] and they should. It’s a great atmosphere.

“He’s more relaxed. He’s got a competition director in place that he’s worked with before and he can trust and it’s just bled it down to he’s comfortable coming to the race track right now with the group that he has over there.”

As happy as Stewart is with his group, and as much as Zipadelli expressed the same emotion at the end of testing, Addington appeared to be in a state of bliss.

“Getting back to work with Zippy …” Addington didn’t even have to finish the thought to know how much it meant to him. “And Tony Gibson [teammate Ryan Newman’s crew chief] is my type. He’s just a racer that’s down in the shop digging and working on his stuff, hands-on and that’s the way we all want to race. That’s the cool part about it—everybody in this organization likes each other.

“If you look and see what this organization did [in 2011] and having been in this business as long as I have—through the Busch Series, Nationwide, whatever—into the Cup Series… To have a shot to go win a championship with this driver right here [Stewart] and this organization is the best feeling I’ve had in a long, long time.”

That’a great news to a lot of Stewart fans. Even better news is Addington’s reaction to several changes NASCAR made during Preseason Thunder in an effort to promote pack racing.

“From the work standpoint of all the changes NASCAR was making while we were down here, we understand what they’re doing,” Addington said. “Tony liked the idea of when we went out there in a big pack, of having it like that to race all day long. So I think the fans will like it, but that part of it is going to continue to be a moving target.”
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

ndunn

Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:50 pm

Re: Notebook: Addington Has Good Feeling About A Title With

Great story. Thanks HH for the post. I like Addington's attitude. Sounds like he can't wait to get the grease under the fingernails and the smell of race fuel on race day. Go get "em" Steve it's gonna be a "He$$ of a season." And I do think they can repeat two years in a row.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:09 pm

Yeah, he even like "Tuna" Gibson, something Schmoopy won't like. ;) :lol:

I would LOVE to see him help Tony to a Daytona 500 win... on his way to a 4th championship. :D :D :D
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

Annalee

Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:30 pm

Sounds like all is right with the world at SHR. Zippy is back where he belongs. :D New team mate with Danica. :) Steve Addington is happy working with fellow crew chief Tony Gibson and a driver that won't berate him. I know Tony Stewart is happy. After all he worked hard to put this deal together. If they are happy then I am truly excited about 2012. Lookout NASCAR! It's time to go racing Danica and boys! :D :D :D
"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

dirt93

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:10 am

I can't wait for the season to start!!!
Here kitty kitty.. come get you some of this!!
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:12 pm

Maybe between Addington and Zippadeli, Gibson will actually become adept at the CC thing. Maybe Darian just wasn't that good of a communicator ???? :)
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:24 pm

HiddenHollow wrote:Yeah, he even like "Tuna" Gibson, something Schmoopy won't like. ;) :lol:

I would LOVE to see him help Tony to a Daytona 500 win... on his way to a 4th championship. :D :D :D

I think (hope atleast) it is just lip service. I mean the new CC isnt gonna come out & say hey this other CC that has been here since SHR inception is as dumb as a box of rocks. Think he is just going the PC route. Even when Zippy talked of the other CCs. Had all these good things to say about Addington, & oh yeah, Gibson is a team guy! I am hoping as this year goes on. Zippy sticks with being in charge & confronts TG to step up or step out. Also it would be awesome if the pitcrews step up this year on 4 tires stops. All in all I think Ryan will have to shoulder the load once again this year, but hopefully after Zippy has a year under his belt with SHR, he will not allow the 39 team to be ignored anymore & make major changes to that team.

One can only wish! (see annalee trying to be positive just for you) ;)
ImageImageImage
<<

Annalee

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:00 pm

Oh Schmoopy I am so proud of you! You made me smile. :)
"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke

Return to Tony