FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Awards Show - YAWN

<<

Steph

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:47 pm

Awards Show - YAWN

If it had not been for Tony I would have quit the show. It has no atmoshpere, the presentation was amateurish and the whole thing was boring. The sound quality was very poor, even Reba could not make herself heard.

Did you notice that Tony mis-read his cheat sheet and did not mention Office Depot in the sponsor thank you part - ooops.

Hope that the NASCAR big wigs do something about the format for next year or lets just not bother televising it, and hyping it as a "great night". Shows that work around an audience while that audience is eating never broadcast well.
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you do not appreciate the seriousness of the situation.
<<

lmalley

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:07 pm

Re: Awards Show - YAWN

I agree. Not mentioning Office Depot may have been a whoops, But how about this? Let the drivers talk, tell a joke, or any amusing tale. The understanding should be that the sponsors are thanked enough already as well as NASCAR as the governing body, the France family, etc. The drivers get 5 minutes and by the time they run through their thank you list, they're out of time. If the sponsors
aren't thanked enough, they wouldn't be there. I'm sure there is a lot more interesting things to talk about after a seasons with all those characters than droning on and on thanking sponsors. Yes, money makes those wheels go round, but enough already!
<<

tonycrazy

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:23 pm

I liked it......my sound quality was fine....i felt it was entertaining....Ryans speech nearly had me in tears and of course Tony was great...i didnt catch the goof but all in all thot its was good....

As far as Reba goes.....i thot she was great....funny charming and witty as usual...a vast improvement over that so called comedian they had the past few yrs...Kid Rock was on it...bringing out the military was a big attn getter for me....i commend who ever's idea it was to do that....
Sorry u couldnt find some good in it....maybe next yr huh?

tc

<<

Lizard

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:22 pm

I was disappointed as well because the drivers speeches were so devoid of humor. The audio issue has been that way since going to Vegas, for what ever reason they cannot seem to get it to work right.

Tony was the only reason I kept watching as well. I hope that NASCAR realizes they need to let the boys have at it at the banquet as well.
"If it works for you, do it. If its how you feel, act it. Just be yourself, and if being yourself means you`re being cocky once in a while, have at it." Tony Stewart

"I`m too lazy to work my real job. I love what I do." Tony Stewart
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:27 pm

I liked when Carl talked about his woman telling Carl you didnt lose you tied dammit. LOL I can totally seeing a signficant other saying something like that.

Also I thought it was pretty classy of Tony to tell Carl during his speech that no one thinks of him as a loser, & will always be a winner. (or something like that)

but I do agree they should make this banquet more about the drivers & teams than the typical crap we hear every week for 40 weeks.
ImageImageImage
<<

herbie14

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:43 pm

I also thought the banquet was kinda corny and dull. It was funny though, when JJ came out and went to the champions table. I would like to see it go in the direction of the Indy 500 banquet, where all drivers are awarded prize $ and other accolades, not just sponsor "thank you's".
" I've got a cooler full of Schlitz and I'm not gonna stop drinkin till I get to the bottom." - Tony Stewart

Herbie
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:04 pm

I'm glad I only watched some of it. What I did see was boring and...quite honestly, devoid of ANY emotion. Why aren't the drivers allowed to be more of who they REALLY are? We might as well have been watching a memorial service instead of a celebration of a Championship....... :(
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

Shander

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:55 pm

This wasn't an award show for music, like the CMAs. It was a boring awards show for their industry. I don't think it was intended to entertain us. That being said, having Reba and Kid Rock on there was a 200% upgrade from previous years. I still say they need to have Jeff Foxworthy or Jeff Dunham on there as the MCs. I watched only because Tony is our champion. I thought it was okay for what it was. Except for that other little girl that sang "I Need a Hero". What the #### was that all about. Some songs just need to be left alone. No one has to agree with me I just wanted to voice my opinion. :D
"No Woman will ever be truly satisfied... because no man will ever have a chocolate penis that ejaculates money."
Be who you are and say what you feel... Because those that matter.. don't mind and those that mind... don't matter!!
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:29 pm

Woulda been spiced up had Brian France not nixed Smoke's plan to wear his Elvis costume.

There were a few nice parts, some cause they were funny, some cause they were heartfelt. Yeah all the sponsor mentions and "Thanks everyone under the sun" can get monotonous by the tenth driver, but a few guys had some funny stuff they said or heartfelt stuff they said. Call me a wimp but I teared up when Smoke said to Carl "You're a winner, you're never going to be a loser" in reference to Carl's post-race interview at Homestead.

I was one of the ones that actually got Matt's Fluidmaster joke when he told it. He and Ryan are for my money, just about the two funniest drivers in NASCAR, you've got to pay attention to their interviews/speeches cause you never know when they're going to drop a gold one.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

wolfgang

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:18 pm

The highlight of the year for me was the roast Budwiser put on for Harvick the begining of the season.Would like to see more roasts done for other drivers too.Doesn't look as thou i missed much of the awards show by the comments made here.
<<

SmokeFan14

Post Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:42 pm

I fast forwarded through everything except for Carl's and Tony's speeches. i tried to watch it all, I really did. But honestly, it sucked.
In this day and age of monetary woes, lost sponsorships, commercials revue down, they need to pare this back to a simple Dinner & Ceremony and the Hall of Fame.
They probably spend more money on all the BS glistz, glamour, and garbage then some of the tail-end teams had available to them just to race this past year.
Take the monies wasted on the full week of nothingness and find a way to channel it back to those that need.
Personally, just watching Smoke hoist the trophy at Homestead was enough for me, and the only speech that was really worth listening to was Darian Grubb's.
Let's go to Plan "B" NA$CA$H and rethink this whole Champions Week in Lost Wages.
"Where there's Smoke, There's Racin'!"
<<

Lizard

Post Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:04 pm

SmokeFan14 wrote:I fast forwarded through everything except for Carl's and Tony's speeches. i tried to watch it all, I really did. But honestly, it sucked.
In this day and age of monetary woes, lost sponsorships, commercials revue down, they need to pare this back to a simple Dinner & Ceremony and the Hall of Fame.
They probably spend more money on all the BS glistz, glamour, and garbage then some of the tail-end teams had available to them just to race this past year.
Take the monies wasted on the full week of nothingness and find a way to channel it back to those that need.
Personally, just watching Smoke hoist the trophy at Homestead was enough for me, and the only speech that was really worth listening to was Darian Grubb's.
Let's go to Plan "B" NA$CA$H and rethink this whole Champions Week in Lost Wages.

I have to disagree because the Newlywed Game and After the Lap were great to watch. I just wish they would let the drivers have at it at the awards banquet. Tony said he only got to do about half of what he wanted during the banquet because NASCAR said NO!!! The banquet is more fun when the drivers are allowed to be themselves and throw in the jabs at each other.
"If it works for you, do it. If its how you feel, act it. Just be yourself, and if being yourself means you`re being cocky once in a while, have at it." Tony Stewart

"I`m too lazy to work my real job. I love what I do." Tony Stewart
<<

Rochelle

Post Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:33 pm

It was worth watching to me, just to see Jimmie walk over to the head table and look at the place card. Hilarious! And then Tony pointing over to where he should be sitting. And Matt and his Fluidmaster joke. He has one of the best sarcastic senses of humor...
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

dirt93

Post Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:45 am

It was a typical awards show. Reba was a million times better that that "comedian" last year. Kid Rock was way cool and I know that he and Tony are friends. I do agree that NASCAR should have let the drivers be themselves more. They can be quite entertaining and funny if you let them loose!
Here kitty kitty.. come get you some of this!!
<<

tonysgirl14

Post Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:59 am

Ithought it was great got to see Tony a couple times. he sure was looking good.LOVE THAT MAN
Next

Return to Tony