FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Dairy Queen Columbus Ind

<<

ndunn

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:12 pm

Dairy Queen Columbus Ind

I read a "only in America" story done by the AP in central Indiana. I can't post it as I don't have permission from The Associated Press but I can paraphase. The owner of the store sponsored Tony's go-kart racer 25 years ago and could hardly stand it pacing the floor until the race was over. Many fans went to his store to celebrate the victory and the owner passed out free ice cream cones. One of the fans stated she hoped the town would have another parade as they did when he won his first Indianapolis Brickyard in 2005.
This is my kind of story and the fact a small town would be so proud of a kid they saw grow up and become a talented and beloved race car driver. I just hope one of Tony's friends saves the story and gives it to him.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

smokieonefour

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: Dairy Queen Columbus Ind

here you go NDunn....

Link ~ http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/5 ... t-Hometown

Racer Tony Stewart's central Indiana hometown joyous over his 3rd NASCAR championship

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First Posted: November 21, 2011 - 7:16 am
Last Updated: November 21, 2011 - 7:16 am

COLUMBUS, Ind. — The central Indiana Dairy Queen owner who first sponsored Tony Stewart as a go-kart racer 25 years ago says he could hardly stand still as Stewart closed in on winning his third NASCAR championship.

COLUMBUS, Ind. — The central Indiana Dairy Queen owner who first sponsored Tony Stewart as a go-kart racer 25 years ago says he could hardly stand still as Stewart closed in on winning his third NASCAR championship.

Stewart's title-clinching race victory on Sunday brought out joyous fans in his hometown of Columbus. Many flocked to Bob Franke's Dairy Queen shop, where he handed out free ice cream cones.

Franke tells The Republic newspaper that he paced the floor while watching Sunday's race and that he's "proud as a peacock" of Stewart.

Stewart fan Karen Phelps from the nearby town of Hope says she hopes Columbus has another parade to congratulate him like it did after he won the Brickyard 400 in 2005. Stewart also won NASCAR championships in 2002 and 2005.

--------------

Great job of paraphrasing! :-) Just wanted the board to see that this is a real story, that you spoke of. :-)

A friendly "FYI" ( not meant to be snarky ) - You can post stories for information purposes only. The only time you cannot post a story ( like this ) is for profit, like say you run and print a small newspaper that you receive money from advertisers. Same as recording shows... you can play them over and over... just not for profit. :-)

Great story and thanks for finding and sharing it. :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

ndunn

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:35 pm

smokieonefour wrote:here you go NDunn....

Link ~ http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/5 ... t-Hometown

Racer Tony Stewart's central Indiana hometown joyous over his 3rd NASCAR championship

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First Posted: November 21, 2011 - 7:16 am
Last Updated: November 21, 2011 - 7:16 am

Stewart's title-clinching race victory on Sunday brought out joyous fans in his hometown of Columbus. Many flocked to Bob Franke's Dairy Queen shop, where he handed out free ice cream cones.

Franke tells The Republic newspaper that he paced the floor while watching Sunday's race and that he's "proud as a peacock" of Stewart.

Stewart fan Karen Phelps from the nearby town of Hope says she hopes Columbus has another parade to congratulate him like it did after he won the Brickyard 400 in 2005. Stewart also won NASCAR championships in 2002 and 2005.

--------------

Great job of paraphrasing! :-) Just wanted the board to see that this is a real story, that you spoke of. :-)

A friendly "FYI" ( not meant to be snarky ) - You can post stories for information purposes only. The only time you cannot post a story ( like this ) is for profit, like say you run and print a small newspaper that you receive money from advertisers. Same as recording shows... you can play them over and over... just not for profit. :-)

Great story and thanks for finding and sharing it. :-)

[quote="ndunn"]I read a "only in America" story done by the AP in central Indiana. I can't post it as I don't have permission from The Associated Press but I can paraphase. The owner of the store sponsored Tony's go-kart racer 25 years ago and could hardly stand it pacing the floor until the race was over. Many fans went to his store to celebrate the victory and the owner passed out free ice cream cones. One of the fans stated she hoped the town would have another parade as they did when he won his first Indianapolis Brickyard in 2005.
This is my kind of story and the fact a small town would be so proud of a kid they saw grow up and become a talented and beloved race car driver. I just hope one of Tony's friends saves the story and gives it to him.
[/quote

Thanks for the link. I don't know how to post the videos and stories or pictures so I'm greatful you bailed me out. The Republic News paper wasn't the one I saw and the AP had some links to cover and I didn't understand it. I was so taken with the story I just knew others would love it.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

beaverpond

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:58 pm

A lot of news sources could have a lot of fun, legally, with this site. There are copyright laws that limit the amount of information you can take from a story. You can use the headline, author, 75 words of text, and are required to provide a link. Almost all sites that I am involved with have that in their FAQ section.
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:24 pm

Reposting like that is not so because I've gotten into trouble doing it over on NASCAR.com. It's in fine print & you have to read each article's fine print. You can retell in your own words, but you can't copy. I was even giving credit to the web & posted their link for the article to show I'm not trying to claim it as my own, but that was no matter, still got in trouble.
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."

Return to Tony