FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Darian Grubb: I'm Out Of A Job After Winning NASCAR Champion

<<

beaverpond

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:09 am

Darian Grubb: I'm Out Of A Job After Winning NASCAR Champion

Tony Stewart's championship-winning crew chief, Darian Grubb, says he's been fired.

Grubb, speaking after he and Stewart won the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series title on Sunday night, said he was told prior to the Charlotte Chase race that he would not be welcomed back by Stewart-Haas Racing next season.

"I always wanted to stay with the organization," he said. "That's the reason I came here – to build something special."

The crew chief said "we'll see in this coming week how things change," but didn't sound optimistic he would be back.

Stewart ducked a question about Grubb's status and said, "I know what his status is for the rest of the night – I'm going to get him drunk."

Asked if it was possible Grubb would return to SHR next season, Stewart would not say.

"There's a lot of things in the offseason and a lot of decisions that have to be made," he said. "Obviously, we wanted to get through this championship battle first. We'll sit down as a group this week and figure out the direction of our program."

Told the news was baffling considering his team had just won the championship, Grubb agreed and said, "it still is to me, honestly."

Grubb seemed to leave the door open for a return to SHR if the team wanted him back. He said he's already been talking other teams and that the relationship between he and Stewart "was a little tough and strained" after he learned he'd been fired.

Would Grubb return to SHR if asked?

"It all depends," he said. "We'll just have to do those talks this week and see what happens."

http://www.sbnation.com/nascar/2011/11/ ... x.facebook
<<

onerockindoc

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:28 am

Re: Darian Grubb: I'm Out Of A Job After Winning NASCAR Cham

So can we now assume that Darian was the "dead weight" that was brought up? If so....then Darian Grubb is the true class act in the garage.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Bob Marley
<<

tonysgirl14

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:38 am

that would be a shame if he goes great crew chief
<<

cjlarsen68

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:41 am

IS Zippy coming to SHR??????
OGG - Original Garage Gang Down since day one! (First Fan Registered!)

" Just be yourself, and if being yourself means you`re being cocky once in a while, have at it." .....Tony Stewart

@wackostu on Twitter.
<<

muskrat3

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:51 am

cjlarsen68 wrote:IS Zippy coming to SHR??????

NO ZIPPY IS NOT COMING.
I hope that maybe it is a case of some harsh words were exchanged earlier in the season. Tony is a very big man I hope Grubb stays, I think they have hit a formula that works for them.
I would rather be hated for who Iam the Loved for What Iam not
<<

jcwpxaz

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:08 am

I remember reading a bunch of posts saying that Darian needed to be fired during the second half of the season. Its funny how winning a championship can change so many opinions.
<<

tlmerk

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:48 am

I didn't believe these rumors until I read them today from reputable publications. Why the heck would they tell Darian he was out of a job before the end of the season? It's like they didn't WANT to win the Chase? That's just stupid. If I were Grubb, I'd leave SHR in my rear-view.
Loyalty begets loyalty.
Where there's Smoke, there's fire!
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:12 am

I think it is funny how so many tony fans wanted Darian Fired, when something didnt go their way, this year. Seems to me All these same Tony fans should be happy. You got what you wished for.

Irony to me is I seen that Darian was a good CC, while others asked for his head. Now Tony seems to be working on removing the only good CC SHR had while allowing Ryan to continue with one of the worst.

If Darian leaves one way or the other, I hope all of you that wanted it will be happy. (even if you wont admit it now)

Now for me. I will be bummed when he leaves, because that means, Tony will be focused on improving his team even more, & ignoring Ryan's needs even longer.
ImageImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:30 am

there have been reports if DG doesnt stay, he may go back to HMS either as director of operations or JJ's CC, there is talk chad is getting promoted in HMS, i really do hope that who ever is in charge takes a look at the 39 team and see that TG has let ryan down too many times, he always put ryan behind the 8 ball and ryan has to drive his butt off to get a decent finish...
I miss you Frehley........
<<

Smoke_14

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:18 am

The "dead weight" comment by Tony was not made about Darian. I think Darian will either be Comp Director at SHR or move back to HMS to fill that role somewhere. Trust me, Darian will be fine and land on his feet somewhere. He won't be out of a job. I like Darian, and I think he is a great crew chief. But this chase was really about Tony putting the team on his back. Darian made some good calls, but he also made some questionable calls. I wouldn't mind seeing Darian back on top the pit box for the #14 next season. But it wouldn't worry me if that is not the case. I honestly think he would be best for Comp Director at SHR.
Leave the Ears On the Dog
<<

TonyFan

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:13 am

I was listening to that press conference and kinda couldn't believe Tony danced around that question after what all has happened. I do agree that Tony kinda put the team on his back, but he can only do so much on his own. I've always liked Darian and thought he was a good crew chief (although I did not like the fuel strategy yesterday). I just cannot imagine Darian being gone after what has just happened. I mean...if nothing else and he's not the cc for Tony, he's got to be moved to the 39 team or to Danica's team. I just can't see letting the Chase winning crew chief go and I do not think it will unfold like that. Tony and Darian seem to have a good chemistry listening to in car chatter as well. I guess we'll see sometime this week.
<<

melissalee

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:25 pm

I still have not given up on Zippy coming over. They were a winning team and Zippy understands what Tony needs.
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:20 pm

Despite how fustrating it got when the results weren't there, I was always a believer in Grubb. I really hope he returns as cc for Tony for a long time. He was pretty fast in the regular season, but in the chase it wasn't even close he was the fastest car each week. That was in sane to see him have so much speed. Tony drove the hardest I have ever seen him drive too and did carry them za little, but Darian lead the team and ultimately got them a title. I think this team could win the title in 2012 pretty easily and win like 8 races (didn't some fellow Tony fan say Tony wouldn't reach 50 wins? well he is at 44 now!). If he is comp director I can deal with that, it would help the whole team. I'd liek for this to happen.

Director of competition: Zippy
CC for the 14: Darian Grubb
CC for the 39: Steve Addington
CC for the 10: Tony Gibson
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

MichaelOsceola

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:05 pm

Let Darian CC for Ryan. Bring in Addington for Danica. Get Zippy for Tony.
Go Ryan!
( OK, Tony & Danica too )
<<

Annalee

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:42 pm

SHR please reconsider the decision made about Darian. He has truly proven he can get the job done. He made some of the best calls ever, nail biting and gut wrenching, but great. Together Tony and Darian won this Championship and to separate them now just seems incredibly wrong. I know we do not know all the reasons for this decision, but please reconsider!

"Fight for Four".......................me
I # Support Smoke
Next

Return to Tony