FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Pole

<<

A2Zmama

Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:39 pm

Pole

YYYAAAAYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!

Nuff said..... :mrgreen:
Just because I'm a family raising, meal cooking homemaking wonder, doesn't mean I'm a desperate housewife.
<<

Smoke_14

Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:57 pm

Re: Pole

After Kansas, Smoke has a little bit of motivation in that seat. Knows he cost himself about 10 points that race. Said the car has been really good since they unloaded. If he can stay out in front in clean air the majority of the race, should pick up some points. Needs to be within 10 heading to Dega to have any chance I feel.
Leave the Ears On the Dog
<<

Tinker

Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:32 pm

Loved seeing Ryan sneak in there and get Tony. That was hilarious. :lol:
“Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.” ~ John Wayne
<<

peanut1439

Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:48 pm

CONCORD, N.C. (AP)—Tony Stewart took the pole at Charlotte Motor Speedway, outracing Matt Kenseth and points leader Carl Edwards on Thursday night.

Stewart covered the 2 1/2 -mile layout with a speed of 191.959 to start up front for the Bank of America 500 on Saturday night. Kenseth was tick slower at 191.918 mph while Edwards was next at 191.870 mph.

It was Stewart’s first pole in more than year since Pocono in August of 2010 and his 13th overall. He also earned his first pole at Charlotte in 26 chances.

Stewart stands seventh in the Chase for a Championship, 19 points behind Edwards.

Drivers had anticipated a run at Elliott Sadler’s 2005 qualifying record of 193.216 after a super-fast practice session. But speeds didn’t pick up when the sun went down.

But Stewart said the air was more humid and robbed the cars of power and speed they anticipated. “That makes our lap that much better,” he said.

Stewart, will try for just his second victory at Charlotte, the first coming in October 2003. After posting his lap, Stewart still had to outlast a dozen or so drivers he figured would edge past him.

“Sitting there after that lap, felt like it was going to be a top five or six,” Stewart said. “It was definitely better than we thought.”

Stewart opened the chase with victories in the first two races at Chicagoland and New Hampshire to move out front in the points race. But a 25th-place finish at Dover and a 15th-place run at Kansas the past two weekends dropped him back in the standings.

Stewart hopes a landmark pole leads to a big showing in Charlotte. “It has definitely been a good start to the weekend,” he said.

Kenseth is fifth in the points while Edwards holds a one-point lead over Kevin Harvick in the championship chase.

Ryan Newman, 11th in points, will start Saturday’s race sixth. Five-time defending NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson qualified ninth and stands in third in quest for title No. 6.

Harvick was 14th in qualifying with Dale Earnhardt Jr. right behind. Earnhardt Jr. is ninth in points.

Among the other championship chasers, Denny Hamlin qualified 17th, Kurt Busch 20th, Jeff Gordon 23rd, Kyle Busch 25th and Brad Keselowski 26th.

Kenseth felt his car strong enough to take the pole and that he left a bit of speed out on the track. “I feel bad. I wish I could do it again. I wish somebody had beat me by more than leaving a half-a-tenth (of a second) out there,” he said. “Looking forward to putting it in race trim and see what it drives like.”

Edwards, too, thought he might’ve been able to squeak out a pole victory. Edwards, though, was satisfied with a solid starting spot at a track where he’s struggled to pick up ground.

Edwards hasn’t finished better than 12th in his last four races here, including a 39th as a member of the chase here two years ago. “We really need to take advantage of this track if we’ve got a good car because it’s been one we’ve struggled at,” Edwards said.

Edwards did win the Sprint All-Star Race at Charlotte back in May. He hasn’t had a top-10 placing at Charlotte since taking fourth in the Coca-Cola 600 in 2009.

A.J. Allmendinger led the non-chasers with a fourth-place in qualifying. Greg Biffle was fifth, followed by Newman, Paul Menard, Kasey Kahne and Johnson.

Earnhardt briefly held the top spot to the cheers of those at Charlotte Motor Speedway. It was Earnhardt who looked like he’d win the spring race but ran out of fuel on the final lap and got passed by winner Harvick.

“I won’t say it owes me one,” Earnhardt said. “But we are due a win, and we are going to work out tails off to get one before the year is out.”
Those who intentionally live off another’s labor will always want more free stuff!
<<

tonysgal

Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:54 pm

thanks peanuts

tg
the nice things about race cars is some days they're awesome and some days you can't find your ####- Donny Schatz
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:09 am

Chassis No. 14-671: This car made its debut in late July in the Brickyard 400 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. It qualified 24th, and after serving a pit road penalty on lap 29 that dropped it to 32nd, rallied to finish sixth. Prior to Indianapolis, it had never turned a wheel on the racetrack, but it did spend considerable time in the wind tunnel. Chassis No. 14-671 has made a handful of return trips to the wind tunnel in preparation for its second career start on Saturday night in the Bank of America 500 at Charlotte......
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

muskrat3

Post Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:13 am

midwesternsmoke wrote:Is this the same chassis he ran in Atlanta ?? Anyone know ? 8-)

I thoughti it is from Chicago. I just wander who helped him pick a good pit stall, ya know he looked so confused at the end like he was waiting for someone tell him it was a joke. It is going to be a good weekend when he unloades that good and looks that relaxed. I think he is going to make a big dent in the points this weekend.
I would rather be hated for who Iam the Loved for What Iam not
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:22 am

I was so surprised to find out he won the pole. I was hoping top 15 but pole I am so happy. I think he is going to dominate Saturday night.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:31 am

Smokeshow14 wrote:I think he is going to dominate Saturday night.

:shock: Now wouldn't THAT be cool :!: 8-) 8-) 8-) :D :D :D

Tony has to figure in everyone's weekly picks after that run. ;) :D
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

A2Zmama

Post Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:34 am

HiddenHollow wrote:
Smokeshow14 wrote:I think he is going to dominate Saturday night.

:shock: Now wouldn't THAT be cool :!: 8-) 8-) 8-) :D :D :D

Tony has to figure in everyone's weekly picks after that run. ;) :D

I haven't been good about making pics the past few weeks (I would have done terribly anyway...no loss). BUT, I think I'll work on it today :D
Just because I'm a family raising, meal cooking homemaking wonder, doesn't mean I'm a desperate housewife.
<<

nanwei47

Post Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:58 am

I think tony is gonna Dominate on saturday, winning the first 2 races of the chase was big for him , although he didnt do to well the last 2 races, but now with him sitting at the pole for this week race Tony is coming back and is gonna stay on top and go for another Sprint cup championship !!!! Go SMOKE Go !!!!
<<

A2Zmama

Post Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:13 pm

And, actually, we ran really well last weekend. We just didn't *finish* well. I think the car's been there for awhile now, maybe excluding Dover. I am still pumped from last night, and cannot wait for the race tomorrow. I will be sporting my TS shirt and wristband for my whole town to see! :mrgreen:
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:34 pm

You're right. He was running a solid 2nd in the latter part of the race at Kansas... until the ill-fated pit stops near the end. His car at Dover was never any good.

GO SMOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

Smoke_14

Post Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:44 pm

A win would be great, but a top 5 here is really the priority. He may not gain any on JJ and Carl this weekend unless he wins. I expect the 48 and 99 to be up front most of the day. 29 and 22 would be happy leaving here with a top 10. I think if Tony gets a top 5 here, he can possibly pass Kurt and maybe Matt. Depending on how BK runs, might clip him too with a top 5 finish. I just want Smoke to be 10 points or less out of 1st after Dega. That could be a tall order, but if he gains 3-4 spots this weekend on the leaders, and then grabs a well overdue solid finish at Dega next week, then he will be there. Still, I feel Tony is really running well in the chase, and if he is within 10 points after Dega, then he can certainly win this thing.
Leave the Ears On the Dog
<<

A2Zmama

Post Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:39 pm

I could not agree more. Consistant good runs are really what we need (I think....just a newbie here). First practice here today was awesome. Waiting for Happy Hour now.
Next

Return to Tony