<<

im4tony

Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:41 pm

What another championship would do for Tony

Tony Stewart: What Another NASCAR Sprint Cup Title Would Mean to His Legacy
By Luke Krmpotich (Featured Columnist) on October 5, 2011 282 reads 0
Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more storiesNext
Darrell Ingham/Getty Images
Tony Stewart is one of NASCAR's living legends, a well-liked driver with two Cup championships and 41 race victories to his name.

Until recent weeks, the 2011 season hadn't gone as planned, but, after running poorly for most of the summer and struggling just to make the Chase, Stewart surprised everyone (including himself) by winning the first two races of the Chase.

Following his victories at Chicagoland and Loudon, Stewart was leading the points and looking like a legitimate contender for his first championship since 2005—the last year anyone not named Jimmie Johnson earned NASCAR's biggest prize. Although he struggled at Dover en route to a 25th-place finish, Smoke is still third in the points and very much a contender for the title.

What would a third NASCAR championship mean to Stewart's legacy?

Most importantly, a third championship would secure Stewart's place among the elite NASCAR drivers of all time, something his win total will never do.

15 drivers have won at least two NASCAR Cup championships, and being one of the 15 best in a sport is a significant achievement. However, two championships doesn't guarantee lasting fame: Do you really think of drivers such as Terry Labonte and Tim Flock as among the greatest ever?

Will Tony Stewart win the 2011 championship?

Yes
63.5%
No
36.5%
Total votes: 96
With another title, Stewart would move up the NASCAR legends totem pole significantly. A third crown would move him into a tie with Lee Petty, Cale Yarborough, Darrell Waltrip and David Pearson for career championships. Only Dale Earnhardt, Richard Petty, Jimmie Johnson and Jeff Gordon have won more. Other than Gordon and Johnson (who are still active), all of those drivers have been elected to NASCAR's Hall of Fame in the first three classes.

Putting his name alongside such championship-winning legends of the sport would do more for Stewart's legacy than anything else he could accomplish on the track.

While it's possible that the 40-year-old former open wheel driver could break into the top 10 on NASCAR's all-time win list, the prestige of Stewart's win total will never match what additional championships would add to his legacy.

Stewart's 41 wins are good for 16th-highest ever, but in order to become one of NASCAR's top 10 winners, Smoke would need to win 13 more times. Although he might get there, he is starting to get up there in age and the wins aren't coming quite as steadily as they used to. After winning 32 times in his first nine seasons, averaging 3.6 victories per season, Stewart only has nine wins since the beginning of 2008—an average of just 2.2 per year.

Wins are impressive, but championships are the true measure of a driver's greatness. Whether or not Stewart breaks into the top 10 on NASCAR's all-time win list, a third title would be enough to solidify his place among NASCAR's greatest ever.

How many championships will Stewart end up with?

Two
10.9%
Three
44.6%
Four
44.6%
Total votes: 92
In addition, winning a championship as an owner/driver would be a special accomplishment. No owner/driver has won the title since Alan Kulwicki drove his underfunded single-car team to an improbable title in 1992.

Stewart's situation is a little different in that Stewart-Haas Racing is a two-car team and will likely expand to four cars over the next couple of seasons, but the extra responsibilities of being a team owner still present major challenges. For Stewart to win a title as an owner/driver would be a remarkable achievement.

Will Stewart be able to rebound from his rough day at Dover and win the 2011 championship? It will be an uphill battle, but it's certainly possible.

Stewart is now tied for third in the standings—nine points behind co-leaders Carl Edwards and Kevin Harvick. It will take all of his skill, as well as some luck, for him to emerge on top at the end of the year, but if he succeeds, it will be a great story and cement his legacy as one of NASCAR's all-time greats.
"This is my house" Tony at the Glen
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:24 pm

Re: What another championship would do for Tony

I can only hope & dream for a third.

GO SMOKE!! :D :D :D
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

wolfgang

Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:49 pm

Don't want to be a stick in the mud,but i don't think it's gonna be this year unless least four others have alot of problems that haven't most the season.The ones' outside the top nine i feel are out at this point.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:25 pm

regardless who wins it will be fun to watch, still anyone's game
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:47 am

wolfgang wrote:Don't want to be a stick in the mud,but i don't think it's gonna be this year unless least four others have alot of problems that haven't most the season.The ones' outside the top nine i feel are out at this point.

Always with the negative waves, Moriarty (wolfgang)... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

im4tony

Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:23 pm

We are need to think positively and send those positive vibes to Tony
<<

jjelpers

Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:31 pm

It would be nice so Jimmie Johnson would finally be knocked off of his championship streak
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:17 pm

That would make Tony the "bookends" around 5-time. Nice! :D :D :D :D

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

dirt93

Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:14 pm

HiddenHollow wrote:That would make Tony the "bookends" around 5-time. Nice! :D :D :D :D

Nice bookends indeed!!
Here kitty kitty.. come get you some of this!!
<<

im4tony

Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:48 pm

HiddenHollow wrote:That would make Tony the "bookends" around 5-time. Nice! :D :D :D :D

Now that is nice
<<

beaverpond

Post Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:19 am

We still have to remember he is only 9 points out of first place...anything is possible to reach 1st.
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:43 am

Absolutely, Beaver! It IS possible and I will be cheering him on.

He & DG just needs to get this car's setup better during today's practices. Tony was not happy with the car's handling yesterday during 1st practice & quals.

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

wolfgang

Post Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:22 pm

HiddenHollow wrote:
wolfgang wrote:Don't want to be a stick in the mud,but i don't think it's gonna be this year unless least four others have alot of problems that haven't most the season.The ones' outside the top nine i feel are out at this point.

Always with the negative waves, Moriarty (wolfgang)... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Just keeping it real HH,just keeping it real!
<<

im4tony

Post Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:48 am

Common guys we need to think positive for Tony. Send him good vibes. We want him to be up there in the top 5 today. He can do it.
<<

mutinywxgirl

Post Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:07 pm

Look out Carl........
~ Lisa ~

-KJ4NKM-
Next

Return to Tony