FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Tony Stewart is a bumbling idiot

<<

peanut1439

Post Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:02 am

Tony Stewart is a bumbling idiot

JOLIET, Ill. -- Tony Stewart is a bumbling idiot.
It had to be said, even if it is a bit premature -- and in jest.
But the two-time Sprint Cup champion said on Thursday that five of the 12 Chase drivers didn't have a chance to win the championship, putting himself at the top of the nonfactors because of the way he ran in the regular season. He said if he wins the title then "I'll declare I'm a total bumbling idiot."
What Stewart is -- after Monday's victory at Chicagoland Speedway -- is a championship contender.
The only thing that could have made him a "bumbling idiot" was to run out of fuel on the final lap as several title contenders did, as Stewart did in the Chase opener a year ago at New Hampshire when he had the checkered flag in sight.
Instead, Stewart goes to Sunday's race at New Hampshire (2 p.m. ET on ESPN and WatchESPN) with only a seven-point deficit to Kevin Harvick.
What we should be calling Stewart is a sandbagger. It's pretty ridiculous to believe a driver of his caliber would go through the entire season without a win, particularly since he'd never done that in the previous 12 Cup seasons. It's pretty ridiculous when you look at how well Stewart ran earlier in the year not to believe he could put together a good stretch for the 10-race playoffs.
For the record, Stewart in his remarks last Thursday also eliminated from contention Dale Earnhardt Jr., who finished third; Kurt Busch, who finished sixth; and Matt Kenseth, who won the pole and initially was listed as eighth before NASCAR dropped him to 21st for being pushed on the final lap by J.J. Yeley after Kenseth ran out of fuel.
The only one Stewart seemingly had correct was Denny Hamlin, who finished 31st and never was a threat Monday.
"Counting Tony Stewart out, it's pretty funny he counts himself out," Harvick said after finishing second to take the points lead. "He's won a ton of races, and to start off the Chase like they did today, have the notes and teammates and things to lean on at Hendrick Motorsports and all the stuff they have to lean on, no way they are going to be totally out to lunch.
"So he shouldn't count himself out. That's pretty funny."
It is funny.
And ironic.
And perhaps scary for the rest of the competition considering Stewart is headed to the track where he finished second to Stewart-Haas Racing teammate Ryan Newman earlier this year.
After all, he is the last driver not named Jimmie Johnson to win the title, if you can remember all the way back to 2005. He's been in the Chase all but one season, so he knows how to handle the pressure.
He's also on a bit of a roll, having finished third, seventh and first in his last three starts to go from almost out of the Chase to a serious threat.
The only thing he didn't have before the weather cleared and allowed the playoffs to begin a day late, was a victory.
That was wearing on Stewart, to be honest. That is why, after a ninth-place finish at Michigan five races ago, he unloaded on himself and his team despite a solid run. Remember?
"If we are going to run this bad, it really doesn't matter whether we make the Chase or not because we are going to be occupying a spot in the Chase that somebody else that actually can run for a championship is going to be trying to take because our stuff is so bad right now," Stewart said then. "We're wasting one of those top-12 spots right now."
What he did was waste crew chief Darian Grubb's time trying to raise the morale of the No. 14 crew that believed it could get the driver in the position he's in now.
"That's Tony's mindset," Grubb said with a smile. "We all work too hard to come in feeling that way. … Even after those comments, it took a little bit to rally the troops and keep the morale up."
Grubb admits he has conversations occasionally to keep Stewart pumped up and "let him know what we're doing to get better."
Grubb said runs like Monday "makes him a little more confident that we're not just blowing smoke."
As for that idiot comment, Grubb said, "We call him that [idiot] every once in a while ourselves."
Stewart called a few non-Chasers idiots early on Monday for the way they drove him tighter than he expected. He said he plans to adopt a similar attitude, noting he's "tired of being the guy that gives a guy a break."
"Guys don't care whether they make anybody mad on the racetrack or not," Stewart said. "They're just going to do what they want to do and they're only solely worried about themselves. So we're going to start adopting that attitude."
Stewart, also jokingly -- OK, we'll leave that open for debate -- called a room full of reporters idiots when he walked in on Grubb being asked about his "idiot" quote from Thursday.
"This room is still full of more idiots than I am," Stewart said. "On the record."
But the real idiots are those that believe "Smoke" won't be a factor in the Chase. He's too hard-headed and stubborn to roll over and play dead as long as there's a chance.
And now he has a real chance.
"I've had a miserable year, but the last three weeks we've really started coming into it," Stewart said.
Stewart also has a mindset that he has nothing to lose, which is why he didn't hesitate to gamble on fuel mileage when, as Grubb noted, nobody really had a choice because of the way the race played out.
"Where we're at in the Chase right now, we had to press," Stewart said.
Press? He started the Chase only 12 points out of the lead. He's a lot closer to the lead now than Johnson, who is 16 out after running out of gas on the final lap to turn a top-four finish into a 10th.
Earnhardt is a lot closer, too. And to think many of you scoffed at the suggestion last week that he could make a run at this. He looked more like the driver who earlier in the year ranked as high as third in points.
"I felt like we would do well in the Chase," Earnhardt said. "These are good tracks for me. If felt like we would rebound and return to the form we had at the start of the year."
But it is understandable that one could count Earnhardt out before the playoff began. It's unimaginable to count out a driver like Stewart who has won the title twice even if it hasn't been the best of years.
It's hard to count out any driver in a season where fuel mileage races are so prevalent, allowing those who normally wouldn't stand a chance to have good runs and make drivers who have dominated feel like bumbling idiots.
Kenseth definitely felt like one after seeing his day spoiled by an empty tank and a seldom-called rule that doesn't allow a competitor to be pushed on the final lap.
"That was beyond frustrating," Kenseth said afterward on Twitter. "Running 50 laps half throttle and still running out of gas stinks. Hope we can race cars the next nine weeks."
He's right, there have been too many fuel mileage races this season. Stewart lost one earlier this year that made him feel like an idiot.
If he maintains the run he's on for nine more weeks, he may have to declare himself one officially.
Those who intentionally live off another’s labor will always want more free stuff!
<<

A2Zmama

Post Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:41 am

Re: Tony Stewart is a bumbling idiot

That's our boy...the bumbling idiot sandbagger. Gotta love him :mrgreen: And he's got a REAL shot at this championship.

Tony, if you ever stumble on this...I just want to let you know how fun it's been to hop on this bandwagon in the rough times, and watch things get better every week. Thank you :D
Just because I'm a family raising, meal cooking homemaking wonder, doesn't mean I'm a desperate housewife.
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:54 pm

well if I were a Stewart fan I would be happy that he had a winning type car even if it wasnt a fuel mileage race. Stewart not withstanding, I wouldnt put a lot of stock in where everyone else finished this week. It isnt necessarily how well the teams were doing. Kenseth had a possible winning car & finished 21st. Ryan definitely had a top 5 car. Dale Jr. was lucky everyone in front of him ran out of gas. Doesnt mean they were having a championship caliber runs. I dont think any of the competitors were ever listening to Tony when he was saying he wouldnt be a contender. I dont believe any of the drivers in the chase would think they cant win it. The reason they are in the chase is because of their drive.
I dont think Denny can make up 40 something points & pass 11 other drivers. 40 something points to make up against one driver might be doable, but to pass 11 other championship teams on the way with only 9 races left would be one of the most amazing feats ever. So right now he is about the only one in the chase I would count out, but I would still believe that team is still thinking they have a chance. So it just goes to show you because a driver says stuff to the media doesnt mean they really think it.
Tony spoke out of frustration & that sends all the so called experts into I am a psychologist mode, & that means blah blah blah. What it really meant was Tony knew they would have to step it up for the chase. It never meant he didnt think they could.
ImageImageImage
<<

tlmerk

Post Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:42 pm

Maybe Tony's remarks were a set up/a mind game to keep his competitors off guard, like a pool hustler who says they don't have a change to win and then... before you know what happens, they've won the game/Chase.

I don't think this is the case but I had to put it out there just for fun. Bumbling idiot, he is not. Moody and driven... yep, IMO.
Where there's Smoke, there's fire!
<<

wolfgang

Post Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:30 pm

Schmoopy1000 wrote:well if I were a Stewart fan I would be happy that he had a winning type car even if it wasnt a fuel mileage race. Stewart not withstanding, I wouldnt put a lot of stock in where everyone else finished this week. It isnt necessarily how well the teams were doing. Kenseth had a possible winning car & finished 21st. Ryan definitely had a top 5 car. Dale Jr. was lucky everyone in front of him ran out of gas. Doesnt mean they were having a championship caliber runs. I dont think any of the competitors were ever listening to Tony when he was saying he wouldnt be a contender. I dont believe any of the drivers in the chase would think they cant win it. The reason they are in the chase is because of their drive.
I dont think Denny can make up 40 something points & pass 11 other drivers. 40 something points to make up against one driver might be doable, but to pass 11 other championship teams on the way with only 9 races left would be one of the most amazing feats ever. So right now he is about the only one in the chase I would count out, but I would still believe that team is still thinking they have a chance. So it just goes to show you because a driver says stuff to the media doesnt mean they really think it.
Tony spoke out of frustration & that sends all the so called experts into I am a psychologist mode, & that means blah blah blah. What it really meant was Tony knew they would have to step it up for the chase. It never meant he didnt think they could.

I AGREE,one fuel mileage race doesn't prove much of anything for ANY of them,there's still 10 cars in this chase as i see it,the #11 and #88 i wouldn' count on personally.The #24 still appears the fav and some would say #18,i'm not saying,but some would. :lol: No one has been consistant or dominate,so it does keep ones interest as no one could even guess at this point.

Return to Tony