FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

DiBenedetto, Stewart not happy with each other r practic

<<

MikeT

Post Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:09 am

DiBenedetto, Stewart not happy with each other r practic

Anyone see what happened? Can't find Tony's side of the story. What the kid said just may come back to haunt him down the road.

http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/ne ... er-issues/

After a misunderstanding in first practice, Stewart takes out frustrations on rookie driver.

MARTINSVILLE, Va. – Matt DiBenedetto was just looking for an opening on the track during practice – that’s when he aroused the wrath of Tony Stewart on Friday.

On the track, the three-time champion flipped off the rookie and yelled at him. Off the track, when the driver of the No. 83 BK Racing Toyota tried to explain what happened, DiBenedetto’s attempt was futile.

“I went up to him to apologize and explain the situation to him,” DiBenedetto told Motorsport.com. “I’m not an idiot. I wouldn’t just pull in front of him. I told him the 19 pulled out in front of me on the racetrack. That checked up all of my momentum and by that time – things happen so fast around here – that's when I got to Turn 3, he was getting a few car lengths of me so I just pulled over to let him go.

“He didn’t understand. I tried to tell him what happened, but he just told me I just needed to get out of the way and whatever. He really just didn’t know what to say.”

DiBenedetto, 23, has 49 starts in the XFINITY Series but just started racing for BKR this season after moonlighting as a test driver for Joe Gibbs Racing.

" He’s just an arrogant prick. He has anger issues and needs to focus on driving the race car."

Matt DiBenedetto

Stewart, 43, has 48 career Cup wins but has struggled to get up to speed this season. Last weekend at Auto Club Speedway, Stewart was running towards the front of the field when Martin Truex Jr. came across the nose of the No. 14 Chevy and stalled his momentum. The two drivers “discussed” the situation following the race and Truex called Stewart again on Monday.

After first practice, Stewart was 18th on the speed chart with a lap of 96.864 mph. Ryan Newman led the session with a speed of 97.835 mph. DiBenedetto was 32nd (96.078mph).

“He’s just an arrogant prick,” DiBenedetto said. “He has anger issues and needs to focus on driving the race car other than dedicating the whole practice session to blocking somebody when it wasn’t something I did intentionally.

“I don’t care who he is, he’s barking up the wrong tree.”
I'm with Smoke.
<<

fanta_c

Post Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:03 am

Re: DiBenedetto, Stewart not happy with each other r practic

On Twitter, Matthew says:

"In practice I got checked up by the 19 pulling on track and that's why I got in @TonyStewart way and I pulled over but he was pi$$ed anyway."

Needless to say, Tony's fans jumped ALL over him! They said stuff like:

"How about instead of being a coward, man up and say all that stuff to Tony's face you big crybaby"

and

"Never in a million years will you accomplish what Tony has, or have an iota of the respect of peers & fans he has."

Matthew replied:

"I talked to Tony earlier and cleared up the practice incident. On to qualifying."

and

"You're right...I shouldn't have let my anger get the best of me."

and (to the never will you accomplish what Tony has comment)

"I agree."

At which point I thought, "This kid said something while he was mad, but then he went up to Tony and tried to talk it out, and THEN he admitted fault on Twitter. Lots of people would just argue with Tony's fans, but this kid took the blame and moved on. Lord knows that Tony has spouted off in anger! But one reason we love him is because he DOES admit when he's wrong (eventually!), and he hashes it out with the other drivers then lets it go."

So, I tweeted Matthew and said:

"Based on your comments tonight I'm a new fan. We all say stuff, we don't all admit fault. You did, & Tony does. #RespectEarned"

And you know what he did? He tweeted back "Thank you!"

Seems like a cool enough guy...I think I'll keep an eye on him, see how he does!
<<

Annalee

Post Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:53 am

Thanks Fanta c for explaining......it's always. Interesting what comes out when they push a microphone in their faces during the heat of the conversation....
Image"Fight for Four".......................me
I # Support Smoke
<<

tlmerk

Post Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:34 pm

I agree. There is so much passion in this sport every single driver loses his cool sometimes. The good ones know this and don't hold a grudge.
Where there's Smoke, there's fire!

Return to Tony