FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

dirt track racing

<<

tonyfansince1999/51

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:43 pm

dirt track racing

i live in reading , pa and we had a local dirt track..omg....i would throw a temper tantrum if i couldn't get to the races....i was old enough to know better... :D . i still love dirt track racing....the noise ..makes the hairs stand up on my arms...the smell of the dirt, gas .... oh man ....i love it ......they tore the race down and build a mall..so many great memories........... just thinking about it takes me to a nice place..... :) .......one day i want to go to Eldoro . it would be awesome to see the nascar guys racing last models......those memories were some of the best times......... i will never forget...hope to see tony race one day ........love and peace sheryle
<<

slopoke21m

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:51 pm

Re: dirt track racing

:) :)
....ya just made the hair on my arms stand up by your recollections....

Thank you!!!!

Reading was pretty BA from what I have read.
<<

slopoke21m

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:54 pm

.....oh and Eldora is very much so on my bucket list!!!!

Eldora, Syracuse. Oswego. Martinsville in that order...
<<

ndunn

Post Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:38 pm

I love to read posts from people and their memories. I went to dirt track racing while I was in high school. I was in school with one of the daughters of the owner.They were on Sunday and it was always a blast. But the property was sold just like so many other tracks and a sub division was built. This wasn't Sprint cars just old cars people fixed up for racing. It was primitive but loved by the racers and those who supported them by being there.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

jdpirate

Post Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:17 pm

slopoke21m wrote:.....oh and Eldora is very much so on my bucket list!!!!

Eldora, Syracuse. Oswego. Martinsville in that order...

Well, I'm lucky...the only one on your list I haven't been to is Eldora! :( Yep...dirt races at Oswego and Syracuse, NASCAR ( was Winston Cup not Sprint Cup at the time) at Martinsville. ;)
I'm Living my life the way I want to..... Tony Stewart
Never Quit..... Marcus Luttrell Lone Survivor
<<

slopoke21m

Post Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:36 am

Yup....Ive been around this stuff a while....
Merced Speedway, Merced California circ. 1971, thats me playing in the racecar at the beginning, I was about 5 years old. My father painted and crewed the #2M.

I later found the 4M car in a field and began a restoration of it, only to sell it when I relocated. I also started a vintage open wheel class based on these cars in 1999 that is still active at Merced Speedway.

My fondest memories was talking my parents into taking me to the track really early so I could watch the open wheel cars slowly wheel pack the track from the front row, just behind the flag stand, drivers in t-shirts, and open face helmets with a cigarette dangling from their mouth as they sawed on the steering wheel. And on the nights I didnt get to go, I would ask to spend the night at my grandparents, and my grandfather would take me to the parking lot and we would stand on the top of his old Ford pick up....the cheap seats.

Keep'em coming folks!
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:54 am

Hey Slowpoke

the pic in your sig. reminds of the old Sportsman division from back in the 70's. Brings back memories :)
ImageImageImage
<<

slopoke21m

Post Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:25 am

Schmoopy1000 wrote:Hey Slowpoke
the pic in your sig. reminds of the old Sportsman division from back in the 70's. Brings back memories :)

EXACTOMUNDO!!!

The old video is of the old Sportsmans ran on the West Coast from 1965 till about 1980ish. The car in my sig box is my new version of those cars circ 2002. My car had a cut down 1965 Chevelle body over a narrow center steer chassis. Other cars that I ran with had cut down bodies of Pintos, early Camaros, Corvairs and even a 57 Chevy. Here is a video from about 2000, after posting fast time, I had to start last position in the 4 lap trophy dash....I nearly pulled this one off....but the old timer in the yellow Corvair wagon had some old tricks he tried on me, and ruined it for both of us....

Thats awesome that you noticed....not a West Coaster are you? Those cars were sort of a one of a kind deal that ran at Watsonville, Merced, Antioch, Stockton and Petaluma. A few of them were little works of art IMO, it took real vision and skill to proportion the car and the cut down body correctly.
<<

slopoke21m

Post Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:43 am

.....and this does reside in my back yard.... :D :D :D :D
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:53 am

slopoke21m wrote:
Schmoopy1000 wrote:Hey Slowpoke

EXACTOMUNDO!!!

The old video is of the old Sportsmans ran on the West Coast from 1965 till about 1980ish. The car in my sig box is my new version of those cars circ 2002. My car had a cut down 1965 Chevelle body over a narrow center steer chassis. Other cars that I ran with had cut down bodies of Pintos, early Camaros, Corvairs and even a 57 Chevy. Here is a video from about 2000, after posting fast time, I had to start last position in the 4 lap trophy dash....I nearly pulled this one off....but the old timer in the yellow Corvair wagon had some old tricks he tried on me, and ruined it for both of us....

Thats awesome that you noticed....not a West Coaster are you? Those cars were sort of a one of a kind deal that ran at Watsonville, Merced, Antioch, Stockton and Petaluma. A few of them were little works of art IMO, it took real vision and skill to proportion the car and the cut down body correctly.

yeah my Dad raced at Antioch Speedway when I was little. Antioch is my home town so I grew up at that track. He raced the Super stock division though. Every weekend the top qualifier from the sportman raced the top qualifier from the superstocks in a 2 lap match race before the heat races started. (Sportsmans usually won the match race)

In fact the car in my avatar is a car I pitted for at Antioch speedway in the mid 2000's (Limited Late Model)
ImageImageImage
<<

ndunn

Post Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:23 pm

Thanks for the video's. It is so amazing to see what is out there to race. It doesn't matter which series it is if there is passion there is racing. It isn't just NASCAR it is everything. I look for cars when we are out driving. There is a lot of work getting those cars ready for racing.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:21 pm

tonyfansince1999/51 wrote:i live in reading , pa and we had a local dirt track..omg....i would throw a temper tantrum if i couldn't get to the races....i was old enough to know better... :D . i still love dirt track racing....the noise ..makes the hairs stand up on my arms...the smell of the dirt, gas .... oh man ....i love it ......they tore the race down and build a mall..so many great memories........... just thinking about it takes me to a nice place..... :) .......one day i want to go to Eldoro . it would be awesome to see the nascar guys racing last models......those memories were some of the best times......... i will never forget...hope to see tony race one day ........love and peace sheryle

we are neighbors, i live in laureldale.....i was too young for the fairgrounds then they built that horrible mall, cant say as an an adult im much on dirt racing but i know it is very popular in this area

welcome to the site!
I miss you Frehley........
<<

tonyfansince1999/51

Post Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:21 am

i am from muhlenberg twp now............. i worked at JCPenney in the fairgr. sq. mall. for 33 yrs befor they closed our store sheryle
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:09 pm

that is a shame to hear about your job, i havent been in that mall in years, i remember the 80's and 90's i always made it out to the mall on the weekend, however i had never seen it so packed as it when the race reunions were goin on
I miss you Frehley........

Return to The Lobby