FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

POP UP's !!!!!!

<<

HiddenHollow

Post Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:38 pm

Re: POP UP's !!!!!!

Owning computers and smart phones is NOT for the faint of heart. ;) :lol:
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

*****Countdown to the 2015 Daytona 500*****
<<

awsum14

Post Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:29 pm

I had that problem with the new 'puter I have and found it was in an extension/add-on in the Windows 8 software. Was able to go into tools/ extensions and disable it.

HiddenHollow wrote:Owning computers and smart phones is NOT for the faint of heart. ;) :lol:

I have a 'puter, but I refuse to get a dump phone. I've noticed that productivity in the construction trade has fall'un almost 15 to 20 % or more because of the dang things. Everywhere you look people have stopped doing what they are s'pose to be doing to check there e-mails or text from there spouse or whom ever. Yes, I have a flip phone. But it better be a good reason to disturb me at work.
Sorry to jump off topic.
JMO.
If at first you don't succeed, don't give up
Try Harder
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:33 pm

awsum14 wrote:I had that problem with the new 'puter I have and found it was in an extension/add-on in the Windows 8 software. Was able to go into tools/ extensions and disable it.

HiddenHollow wrote:Owning computers and smart phones is NOT for the faint of heart. ;) :lol:

I have a 'puter, but I refuse to get a dump phone. I've noticed that productivity in the construction trade has fall'un almost 15 to 20 % or more because of the dang things. Everywhere you look people have stopped doing what they are s'pose to be doing to check there e-mails or text from there spouse or whom ever. Yes, I have a flip phone. But it better be a good reason to disturb me at work.
Sorry to jump off topic.
JMO.

i feel the same way, they are counterproductive for the most part, because people need to use it for social media, like we really need to know what they are doing at work, hopefully working!
I miss you Frehley........
<<

14Smokem

Post Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:42 pm

The Smart Phone thing.......

I have one..... Would not be without it.
When traveling I can ask it for the nearest anything....
AND.... it will then navigate me there.
I am 50 foot long with trailer, and around 30,000 lbs.
Really do not want to be stuck on a dead end street
at 2:00 Am.... no fun....

Talk to text is really handy...... but navigation is the Biggie......
Oh, and finding truck stops is super nice.
1994 USAC Midget Champion ** 1995 USAC Midget Champion ** 1995 USAC Sprint Car Champion ** 1995 USAC Silver Crown Champion
1997 Indy Car Champion ** 2006 IROC Champion ** 2002 NASCAR Champion ** 2005 NASCAR Champion ** 2011 NASCAR Champion
<<

beaverpond

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:41 am

When I was working in the retail trade for many years, those pesky things got to be troublesome in the checkout lines. People would pay more attention to their phones and ignore the cashiers cashing them out. We had several instances of customers ignoring the cashiers to the extent that cashiers would have to repeat the total 7 or 8 times because of cellphone use. So at times myself and the management team would have to step in and ask these customers to either pay attention to the employee or step aside and we will move along to the next customer...boy did they hate that. After doing this way too many times in several months, we installed cell phone jamming devices that would jam any cell phone signal within the store. Some people hated it and some loved it. We lost some customers and picked up many more for it. Many more came to the store knowing they would be reachable.

I know this off topic, but I thought it was worth sharing.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:02 am

what would have happened if someone was in a life or death situation and they couldnt reach the person because that person was in your store and the person callin had no idea where they were?? talk about a bad PR move...
<<

beaverpond

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:15 am

It may sound like a bad PR move, but think about it....some 30+ years ago all we had was pagers and we had to find a pay phone. I also remember the days when we did not have either of these technologies and everything was mounted to the wall and had a cord attached to it.
<<

im4tony

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:45 am

Agree tl..this site is so helpful when one of us needs help. Thanks to those who make it such a great site and fun too
"This is my house" Tony at the Glen
<<

jdpirate

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:25 am

beaverpond wrote:When I was working in the retail trade for many years, those pesky things got to be troublesome in the checkout lines. People would pay more attention to their phones and ignore the cashiers cashing them out. We had several instances of customers ignoring the cashiers to the extent that cashiers would have to repeat the total 7 or 8 times because of cellphone use. So at times myself and the management team would have to step in and ask these customers to either pay attention to the employee or step aside and we will move along to the next customer...boy did they hate that. After doing this way too many times in several months, we installed cell phone jamming devices that would jam any cell phone signal within the store. Some people hated it and some loved it. We lost some customers and picked up many more for it. Many more came to the store knowing they would be reachable.

I work in retail now and yes, the cell phones are bothersome-- employees and customers! Lots of the kids (30's and under) that work with me are always checking/using their phones to text, etc. and ignoring customers-- wish the head cashiers or managers would catch them more often. I only have a cell (smart phone), no land-line and I only have it in the store when I am working because there is reason to need it--family emergencies (right now, Brother-in-law is not doing well, so I have it with me if my sister needs to contact me).
Many customers will take a call when they are in line to check out or just as I am checking them out...RUDE!!!! Unfortunately, they would most likely be the first to complain if they didn't receive the service THAT THEY WANT....GRRR!!!! There are times I just want to grab that cell phone out of their hand and turn it off. Pay attention---I have other customers to take care of :evil:
I have had some customers not answer their phone or tell the person they'll call back as they are checking out :D
I'm Living my life the way I want to..... Tony Stewart
Never Quit..... Marcus Luttrell Lone Survivor
<<

beaverpond

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:36 am

We had a company policy that said all cellphones were to be left in your locker or vehicle...it was not to be carried on you nor were you allowed to take personal phone calls at work unless it was a family emergency as to which only a message could be taken by management and that message would be passed by upper management in the store to the employee by getting another to cover for them while this news was passed. If necessary they were allowed to leave for the remainder of the shift to deal with the situation and it would be up to management to fill the remainder of the shift.
<<

ndunn

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:54 pm

beaverpond wrote:When I was working in the retail trade for many years, those pesky things got to be troublesome in the checkout lines. People would pay more attention to their phones and ignore the cashiers cashing them out. We had several instances of customers ignoring the cashiers to the extent that cashiers would have to repeat the total 7 or 8 times because of cellphone use. So at times myself and the management team would have to step in and ask these customers to either pay attention to the employee or step aside and we will move along to the next customer...boy did they hate that. After doing this way too many times in several months, we installed cell phone jamming devices that would jam any cell phone signal within the store. Some people hated it and some loved it. We lost some customers and picked up many more for it. Many more came to the store knowing they would be reachable.

I'm glad you took the time to post this. I will never understand why people have a phone stuck in their ear 24/7. Having to talk while you hold up a business from doing their job is just plain selfish. There are good times to have a phone and I have one for the car (which I forget half the time) and if a person expecting an important call it's fine. I wish talking on a cell while driving should be a felony. We've had too many fatal accidents around here from people not paying attention to their driving.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Jellikit

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:02 pm

I've been saying this for a while...job security will definitely be found in one occupation...chiropractor. I always look when I'm on the Metro, or anywhere in public, how many people are looking down. There's always a few, and quite often, EVERYONE is. This just isn't good for the neck and back.

I remember getting my first cell phone in the mid-90's. Then and now, it's just my convenience. It's not for people trying to get ahold of me. (The family knows what to "key in" in a text if there's an actual emergency.)
I use it when I need it, and not if it's a distraction to anyone I'm around, or any priority. It will remain as such. ;)
<<

beaverpond

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:12 pm

Living this close to the NH border, you get caught between ME law and NH law all to often. So just recently, NH passed a law which would ban the use of cellphones while driving unless it is being used by way of a Bluetooth device or something that is built into the vehicle that is setup for speaker / mic technology. If you are caught using a handheld cellphone it will be $250 fine first offense, $500 fine second offense, suspended license on third offense. There will be an education period of the public from now until September 1 of 2015 and then these penalties will take effect. They are going to use radio announcements, television ads, permanent road signs, billboards...just to name a few.

As far as I know, all 50 states have banned texting for all drivers. Passengers, that is different.
<<

thorman52

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:49 pm

A couple of items:
Cellphones: Hate em! Like beav said what did we have 30 years ago? How bout 50 years ago. You cannot convince me that the number of people using their cell phone is in any way an emergency situation or anything near. It's been my observation that most of these people using cells all the time are insecure and/or immature individuals. I have never answered my cell while driving. It can wait. Actually I use it seldom as I don't like talking on the phone anyway. In an emergency, USE IT! No emergency, think before you are bothersome, disrespectful, have no idea what is going on around you, or maybe you're lonely. How bout this scenario that I bet goes on countless times a week:

Ring-A-Ding-Ding (while driving):
Honey: Hello.
Dear: Hi honey, it's me. I'm on my way home.
Honey: Oh yeah? You've worked at the same place for 30 years and always get off at 5 o'clock. And now your telling me you're on you're way home? Thanks dear.
Dear: Sceeechhhh, bang, clang, disconnect.
Honey: Dear, what's going on? Dear! Dear???
Two hours later: Knock, Knock.
Honey: Yes, what is it?
Highway Patrol chaplain:
YOU KNOW THE REST OF THE STORY!

Then there's New Hampshire...THANK YOU!!!
Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.”
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:34 am

something didnt feel right with me, so i checked to see if a business has the right to block a cell phone signal and to my wonderment, it is actually illegal to do so...

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless
communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as
amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act
prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with
the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under
the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The
manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including
advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless
transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in
violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out
in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as
high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year,
and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S.
government.

Mobile phone signal jammers are illegal in the US, but that doesn't
mean they're not used. They're apparently increasingly common, and are
expected to spread quite a bit in the near future. The FCC says that
using a jammer is considered "theft" of airwaves, because that
spectrum has been allocated as property to a commercial entity. The
writer of the article wonders, though, about "passive jamming" - such
as putting up buildings made of material that block out cell phone
signals. While some don't like the idea of having their signals
blocked - others think it may become a lot more popular in the future,
if only to have areas to "disconnect". The article points to the rise
of camera phones as a "bottom up surveillance society" as a reason why
we might want areas that have no signal. That makes little sense to
me, since anyone using a camera phone can still snap the picture, and
then just upload it later when they're in range of a signal. Still, it
will be interesting to see if anti-jamming equipment becomes popular.
Most people have no idea if a jammer is being used, since it just
looks like there's no service. This makes it very difficult to figure
out if someone is using a jammer, and means that no one's getting
caught using these things right now.
Previous

Return to The Lobby