FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame...or not

<<

thorman52

Post Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:01 am

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame...or not

This site seems to have a quite a few music fans evidenced by the number playing the Music game. We all have our favorite artists and groups. Do you have one listed below? It's a list comprised of persons and groups excluded from the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. The nominating process is complicated and secret among a privileged few and then those lucky enough to be nominated have to be voted in by people in the industry. I have 3 favorites of my own from the list of snubbed artists or groups that I'd like to see in the Hall. You may or may not agree with the list but please tell us of any of your favorite artists that have been snubbed listed below.

My 3 favorites not in the R&R Hall of Fame are: Chicago, Jethro Tull and Jim Croce none of which have even been nominated.

Below is a partial list of Artists, followed by 2 numbers. The first number is the number of years eligible but snubbed and the second is the number of years actually nominated:
The B-52's 10 0
Bad Company 15 0
Barry White 16 0
Big Star 17 0
Björk 12 0
Black Flag 11 0
Bon Jovi 6 1
The Carpenters 20 0
The Cars 11 0
Cheap Trick 12 0
Chic 12 8
Chicago 20 0
Connie Francis 31 0
The Cure 11 1
The Dead Kennedys 10 0
Deep Purple 21 2
Def Leppard 10 0
Devo 12 0
Dire Straits 11 0
The Doobie Brothers 18 0
Duran Duran 8 0
Electric Light Orchestra 18 0
Emerson, Lake & Palmer 19 0
Eurythmics 8 0
Gram Parsons 22 3
Green Day 0 0
Harry Nilsson 22 0
INXS 9 0
Iron Maiden 10 0
The Jam 12 0
Jan & Dean 29 0
Jane's Addiction 2 0
Janet Jackson 7 0
Jethro Tull 21 0
Jim Croce 23 0
Journey 14 0
Judas Priest 15 0
King Crimson 20 0
LL Cool J 5 3
The Marvelettes 28 1
Mary Wells 28 2
Megadeth 4 0
The Monkees 23 0
The Moody Blues 25 0
Mötley Crüe 8 0
Motörhead 12 0
Nine Inch Nails 0 0
Ozzy Osbourne 9 0
Pantera 6 0
Peter, Paul & Mary 27 0
Procol Harum 22 1
Slayer 6 0
The Smiths 6 0
Soundgarden 3 0
The Spinners 28 1
Steppenwolf 21 0
Steve Miller Band 21 0
Stevie Ray Vaughan 6 0
T. Rex 21 0
Thin Lizzy 18 0
Tommy James & the Shondells 23 0
War 18 2
Warren Zevon 20 0
"Weird Al" Yankovic 10 0
Whitney Houston 5 0
Yes 20 1
The Zombies 25 1
Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.”
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:03 am

Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame...or not

the RNR HOF is a joke, its is just a bunch of egotistical people who feel they know what music or groups belong in the HOF, The fact Stevie Vaughan is not in there is a bunch of crap, and looking at that list doesnt surprise me other great talents got the shaft
<<

thorman52

Post Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:45 am

Oh, yeah. And then there's that. Have a good day.
Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.”
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

Jellikit

Post Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:53 am

It really is a shame that the HOF is run by such morons. It's supposed to be for the people and the bands. It should not be determined by a couple guys who don't have a clue. It's the ROCK AND ROLL HOF, not the music HOF. Look at who's been nominated and who hasn't. LL Cool J? Really? Nominated 3 times? In 5 years? pffft.
The Cure? Okay, this one may be debated, but I leave it to a call I heard on the radio once.
A guy calls a rock station and asks, "Can you guys play some Cure?"
DJ replies, "No, we don't play them."
Guy, "Why not?"
DJ, "Because we don't play music that sux." :lol:

Okay, enough rant, because it won't matter and that place won't change.
Who should be there from this list? A lot should be, but here's my top 3 ...ummm 5, from the list.

Deep Purple
Yes
SRV
Priest
Maiden
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:03 am

To borrow a quote from one of our regular posters.........I have no comment at this time.
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

jdpirate

Post Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:46 am

Thorman.... I agree on your 3 picks. There are others on that list, too that should be in the RNR HOF.
I'm living my life the way I want to.... Tony Stewart
[]Never Quit...... Marcus Luttrell
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:49 pm

Bad Company
Deep Purple
Stevie Ray Vaughan

Just my opinion. ;)
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

bowtie_4

Post Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:52 pm

michaeljohn wrote:the RNR HOF is a joke, its is just a bunch of egotistical people who feel they know what music or groups belong in the HOF, The fact Stevie Vaughan is not in there is a bunch of crap, and looking at that list doesnt surprise me other great talents got the shaft

Man do I agree on SRV! The only reason I can think of tht he hasn't been selected, can't think of one.
SRV was one of the greatest bluesman of all time!
"The Sky Is Crying".....SRV
<<

thorman52

Post Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:56 pm

Oh I fully agree that the R&R HOF is run my a bunch of shysters. The nominating and voting should be done by the people in the industry not a privileged few in some backroom. Looking over the list I'd say 2/3 of them belong in the HOF. Want another laugh, look at the people already in, some of them at least. What a joke.

On my list is Chicago. Some give the reason for them not being inducted as that there has been too many personnel changes. Bull. Four are original members, one original died, another was asked to leave and one left on his own accord. Of the "new" members one has 23 years, one 29 years and another 19 years. Groups inducted have had many changes also or not much of a solid membership at all like Steely Dan, Santana, Pink Floyd and Fleetwood Mac. Other critics say they were too jazz oriented...Like Steely Dan maybe? Try and tell Eric Clapton that he's too blues oriented. Add in the fact of 100 million records sold and according to Billboard, Chicago was the leading US singles charting group during the 1970s. They have sold over 38 million units in the US, with 22 gold, 18 platinum, and 8 multi-platinum albums. Over the course of their career they have had five number-one albums and 21 top-ten singles. Not to mention they haven't missed one year of touring in at least 40 years (?). And on a personal note I was a security guard at a South Bend hotel and James Pankow (trombonist, song writer, original member) was in the lounge and not talking to anyone at the time. I went up and talked to him for 10 minutes like we were two old friends. Very personable, down to earth person. Certainly a highlight of my life.
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

wolfgang

Post Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:35 pm

midwesternsmoke wrote:To borrow a quote from one of our regular posters.........I have no comment at this time.

Took the words right out of my mouth! LMAO!
<<

bowtie_4

Post Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:17 pm

wolfgang wrote:
midwesternsmoke wrote:To borrow a quote from one of our regular posters.........I have no comment at this time.

MEATLOAF?
<<

smoke14rulez

Post Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:33 pm

...who cares about the HOF...I've long past my need for outward validation of the things I like. What you think is good...is good...so good... ;)

bowtie_4 wrote:
wolfgang wrote:

MEATLOAF?

...well done...just how I like my meatloaf, oddly enough... :lol:
Image Image
...is that a breadstick or are you just happy to see me?
<<

Rachael J

Post Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:54 am

michaeljohn wrote:the RNR HOF is a joke, its is just a bunch of egotistical people who feel they know what music or groups belong in the HOF, The fact Stevie Vaughan is not in there is a bunch of crap, and looking at that list doesnt surprise me other great talents got the shaft

I agree! So many great talents that should be in the HOF. It's a shame!
<<

wolfgang

Post Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:59 pm

bowtie_4 wrote:
wolfgang wrote:

MEATLOAF?

#### no!!!!! Paradise By The Dashboard Lights was good, but Hall of Fame-I don't think so! :lol:

Return to The Lobby