FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Do we need....................................

<<

thorman52

Post Mon May 26, 2014 7:22 pm

Re: Do we need....................................

I'm not the most active member here but I've never encountered this person that you speak of. If he's as abusive as people portray him I wouldn't mind seeing him banned. For the most part I only see good, informative, friendly, timely, educational, serious, kidding, posts from the blogs I enter. I don't post in blogs that I have no interest in or don't know anything about. I have my favorites that I wouldn't miss checking out every day. :D

I guess the question is what to do about this jerk? Beav pointed out one option as to how to block a person's posts. I don't know if it works or not. There is so much of this site I don't know about. May be worth a try and if others don't quote him, half the battle is won. :lol:

As for having a moderator, I would vote no. First off it would be a full time job to keep up with all the posts in all the blogs. Then, if you combined one post into another blog and that poster would not be able to find his post and that would only lead to discourse. More so than the combining would be beneficial. Even when I play the Music game I try not to use a name of a song that was used within the past few pages. I posted a question in the "Question of the day" blog and went back 10 pages to see if it was asked before. Found nothing so I asked it. We, I think, can moderate ourselves if we only choose to. :ugeek:

I came to this site as a Ryan Newman and Tony Stewart fan and it took me awhile to learn the people and procedures. Well Ryan left but I stuck around because I find the place fun and like to compete in the pick-em games. (not very good at it but still fun) More recently I've enjoyed playing Tony's coin game. Enjoyed??? Well yeah, I guess so. If I get one more one I'll.... :x

As I read through the posts I see OCD and do not know what it means. I went to "Internet Slang.com" and it means Obsessive Compulsion Disorder and has no other meaning. Is that right? Doesn't seem to fit some of the sentences that I see it used. But that's okay. :roll:

In conclusion, I do not have an answer as most of you don't either. I would just ignore and don't feed any abusive poster. I found this quote that seems appropriate:
"People can be cruel, and they will be. People can hurt you, break your heart and they will. But only you can let them keep hurting you..." :( :idea: :?

And that's my nickel's worth. ;)
Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.”
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

smokieonefour

Post Tue May 27, 2014 9:46 am

Hey Thorman ... nice post :-)

Thanks for also bringing up OCD - yes, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - which I used as a joke - and wish to apologize for. In a hurry, I used a stereo-type to make a point ... and made light of a real disorder for some folks, for a joke about keeping things tidy & in place. :-(

I'd like to say "Not my style" ... but dang it ... there it is. :-(

Well shoot ... lemme look for something positive, to learn from - I guess anyone can say something in a hurry or not think it thru ... or make a mistake. :-(
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

thorman52

Post Tue May 27, 2014 10:59 am

Thanks smokieonefour. I try.

As for the OCD thing, I wasn't being critical at all I just couldn't figure out what it meant as I read on. I've never known anyone with the disorder but I guess it's not fun. :geek: There are a lot of acronyms used today that I have to look up. I guess I'm not too savvy. I was the last person in North America to know what LMAO meant. (don't tell amininsk (?))

I did see the Jack Nicholson - Helen Hunt movie "As Good As It Gets". Good movie. It is ranked 140th on Empire magazine's "The 500 Greatest Movies of All Time" list. (just looked that up on Wikipedia) Nicholson and Hunt won the Academy Award for Best Actor and Academy Award for Best Actress, a rare occurrence. WOW! I change my mind...GREAT MOVIE! :lol:
Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.”
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

Anyone But Earnhardt

Post Tue May 27, 2014 11:25 am

I'll take the blame for this if it helps. I kept it up and frustrated racer1. I just feel that everything he says is an attack on there comments. I received a PM one time to try to deal with him and tone it down. I then did so, but after a while, enough was enough. I tried to stick up for others to him and received back lash. This past weekend Racer 1 banned me..... Ok, MJ is right he gets quoted and I would still have to look at his negative comments. I fire back and that may not be right but I do not back down. Hey, maybe it's me and I should go away. What do you think???? No need for a moderator. I value all but one of yours opinion so let me know.

Thanks,

A.B.E.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue May 27, 2014 12:15 pm

only one person should leave and that is the person everyone talks about, im not into this kumbaya crap and lets some self destructive person ruin the site for everyone, sure i may say whacked out things, but i own it and i dont call people ignorant or rednecks or gay, like this poster has, KARMA BABY, its a powerful thing.
I miss you Frehley........
<<

jdpirate

Post Tue May 27, 2014 1:25 pm

I've thought about this since I saw the post the other day. I had to think about it for a bit.
At this time, I would like to say that we don't need a moderator, but... and it is a big BUT. Unfortunately, we are experiencing issues with one poster only. That person demeans anyone who doesn't agree with him, acts like he owns one particular thread and the site itself at times, disrespects everyone all the time, threatens anyone he pleases with reports of cyber crimes, etc., insults a lot of people at least daily and the list goes on and on. Quite frankly I have about had enough of his crap! I enjoy this site and almost everyone (of course I leave out that one person) and would hate to leave. This one person is poisoning the site and turning it into "a garbage site" --his words, not mine---ALL BY HIMSELF!
There is no reasoning with this individual at all it seems :( It is disconcerting to say the least, to stop in here and see him spewing insults and then accusing others of what HE is the ONLY one doing.
It is not funny at all. If I were new and looking to join this site, I would definitely not. In fact...even a 10 foot pole wouldn't be long enough to stay away with.
So, to sum up. Something needs to be done and soon. If a moderator is it, then I would be for it.
We are adults and policing ourselves should be easy, but not with one person on here.
I'm Living my life the way I want to..... Tony Stewart
Never Quit..... Marcus Luttrell Lone Survivor
<<

thorman52

Post Tue May 27, 2014 2:09 pm

Hey folks, I'm going to ramble on a bit so bear with me. As I said before I've never encountered this person until today I saw a post of his which wasn't abusive or pertinent to anything being discussed here. I do not know how abusive this person is nor do I have an opinion on banning him except for the fact that he has a heck of a lot of people upset and spending a heck of a lot of time and energy giving this person top billing. Seems to me, that's just wrong. I am not a doctor but I'd say this person has an inferiority complex. From dictionary.com:

Inferiority complex (noun)
1. Psychiatry: intense feeling of inferiority, producing a personality characterized either by extreme reticence or, as a result of overcompensation, by extreme aggressiveness.
2. lack of self-esteem; feeling of inadequacy; lack of self-confidence.

Does the shoe fit?

I went to the first post and read all 19 posts so far. Seems odd to me that there are only 19 posts when this discussion has 142 views. You see, he has a rather substantial audience. So, after reading these posts I took notes. Most everyone agrees he is abusive and wants this person gone, including myself because he's hurting my friends. A few, three I think, call him "entertaining". Sounds like a Don Rickles mentality. Two say block and three say it doesn't work. And one person admits to staying away from the posting experience all together because of this person. That is sad.

Then there is the original question of "Do we need a moderator?" There are two people with experience in that thankless task. Of the 19 posts, 5 people say NO with no one definitively saying YES. One person went both ways. (Must be a moderate.) I was in the NO column and I gave a couple of good reasons. I'd change to a YES if paid like one person thinks a moderator would get. Who would pay him/her? The administrators? You'd be waiting in line on payday a long time the way they move. So the consensus seems to be a NO on a moderator. A couple of ideas were expressed regarding "self-moderation" and the best idea I saw was the insertion of a "thumbs-up/thumbs-down" icon on every post. I don't know how the mechanics of it works but I would think the administrators could monitor each post easily and quickly. See a bunch of thumbs-down votes and they could and should immediately go to that post to see what the skinny is. If some sort of punitive action is warranted, they are the power to administer it. Punishment could be anywhere from a private reprimand, a public reprimand, to a week's suspension or total banishment depending on the seriousness of the offense.

This brings up the topic of contacting the administrators. It's about 50/50 because some say it would do no good, the wrath would be reversed back at me, or maybe no one is willing to step forward to carry out this thankless task. It might be effective if 10-20 people expressed their opinions in a mature, precise, well thought out, professional manner, someone in those ivory towers would certainly have to react. They would never think of banning everyone involved. Would they? These PMs should go out within the same hour of a pre-determined day for more impact. It might be best not to name names but only express concerns about abusive people and behaviors taking place within the community. That is just my opinion of how to deal with this much prolonged ordeal.

Anyway that is my synopsis of this particular blog. It's my dollar's worth. My dad, back in the 50s, used to frequent a bar called the Ramble Inn. Something must have been instilled in me from that long gone establishment. Thank you for listening and God Bless America.
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

Jellikit

Post Tue May 27, 2014 2:52 pm

Hey Thor, just a couple replies to what you've posted the last few times.
On the OCD issue, well, I started it. Mostly as a joke, and it's mostly on me... :lol: ... OCD in a mild form can be attributed to a significant number of people. And it's not necessarily bad. They just like things to be orderly, or in a certain way. The world needs that to some extent. The term is a bit overused in a jocular way, but most people feel that if they are too orderly at times, then they're OCD. ;) It definitely was not meant to minimize the disorder in people who have to deal with an extreme case of this.
As a former mod, I was trained in a certain way on how things should be. After being trained, and once you see why things are done the way they are, you accept it as the best way, or you make a minor tweak here and there, and you go with it.
Like Doc and Smokie said, it's just that when you look through a forum, you shouldn't have to go through numerous threads on the same issue. And sometimes, a post really shouldn't even be made at all, because it's "derailing" the train of the thread. As far as a mod moving posts, deleting them, or combining threads, and then the op (original poster) not being able to find them, that can be taken care of. Most forums leave these moved threads or posts a note, saying it was moved. Or, the mod can also send a PM, notifying of the change. So, it really helps tidy up the place when this job is done right. We all would spend less time searching through threads and replying.

I'm not perfectly certain that one member needs to be banned, but when you hear people make statements like "they're ruining the site" or "they're keeping people away from the forum," well, those really have to be taken seriously and considered. When I came here, I did so (I think) after Danica won the pole at Daytona last year. It was something either on FB or Yahoo that had the info. (I think FB) And when I came in to support Danica, I was a little put off by the negative remarks about her here. I expect it on FB and other non-SHR affiliated sites, but I didn't here. Well, I took and gave a few blows here and there, but it was all good. Then, there were a couple people, not just 1, who were really fighting back hard against any Dani backlash. So much so, I stopped talking about her mostly, for not wanting to be lumped in with these intolerant members. Plus...I had my favorite driver here in Newman, so no biggie to me to let that aspect of my contributions here go.

Now, what about others who've felt the same as me? Surely I'm not the only one. ;)

I still don't think the site needs a mod, but the admins probably need to talk to any member, who receives such negative comments from a majority of members who post regularly.

I like the thumbs up/down idea. Like on yahoo, when a post gets too many thumbs down, it makes it hidden, but viewable upon clicking a link. That could work.
<<

Searchers

Post Tue May 27, 2014 3:16 pm

The reason for my original posting in this thread was because I was in the chat room, on Sunday, and observed what Doc mentioned about a conversation questioning good members getting in trouble for arguing with the problem.

So I wanted to make it perfectly clear that in my opinion, those that are goaded into responses are not problem posters. They should not be disciplined for their postings.

Now reading all that this thread is developing in the way of suggestions I would just like to point out that this is a free site for all of us that we all enjoy. For the most part we enjoy each others company on here.

I would caution against making it so loaded with rules and procedures that it requires a rules book to navigate the site.

Creating the rank of moderator from amongst our ranks could have a Frankenstein effect.
For thorman's stats, I would be in the no moderator column.

If we or this site becomes a problem that demands attention from SHR could make them sorry to even have a place like this. Would it lead them to consider closing it down because it has become annoying and they are more attuned to the social media method as opposed to a message board?

Lets not kill the gift horse that is giving us our clubhouse to hang out in.
<<

thorman52

Post Tue May 27, 2014 4:35 pm

I guess I didn't cover the OCD issue. I am all in favor of more organization with the posting of any subject. I told everyone what I did to try not to duplicate postings or even songs on the Music thread. Just take a minute to see if what you're wanting to start a post on doesn't have a thread already. Wouldn't this fall in to the category of self-moderating? Yes.

As for talking to the administrators, seems people are very negative or frightened by the idea. I've written them a couple of times and remember getting one reply. I was a salesman for 17 years and the cardinal rule was "ASK". You'll never know unless you do. I'm just one person. It's up to the majority as to what course to take. I expressed my opinion (way too much so) and I'm listening now. I'm flexible.

With the thumbs up/down idea, all the rules would fall on the administration. If we went the moderator route the rules would be a problem for all of us.

Some talk of being in the chat room when this person was being abusive and now I hear that he was being goaded into making certain remarks? I was only in the chat room once and it was too fast for me so I don't know anything about that aspect to comment. The people who were there need to hash that one out.
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

Searchers

Post Tue May 27, 2014 5:58 pm

Thorman, I am sorry if my postings are not clear.

Let me make it clear.

Nobody was being abusive in the chat room.

NOBODY

It was a short conversation where one of the chatters expressed concern that a certain poster (who was not in the chatroom at the time) would get in trouble with the site mods for a series of posts where he stood up to the resident abusive poster. The person talking said it would not be fair if he was held accountable because he was just defending himself.

That is it.... END. No arguing was done in the chat room. It was a pure love fest in there. ;)
<<

thorman52

Post Tue May 27, 2014 6:26 pm

I see Searchers. I really don't completely see but like I said I wasn't there so I can't comment on it. I'm sorry if I misunderstood you. After now re-reading your post it wasn't you, it was my interpretation of what was going on there. A love fest huh? Ahhh I remember the 70s.
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

Searchers

Post Tue May 27, 2014 6:31 pm

thorman52 wrote:I see Searchers. I really don't completely see but like I said I wasn't there so I can't comment on it. I'm sorry if I misunderstood you. After now re-reading your post it wasn't you, it was my interpretation of what was going on there. A love fest huh? Ahhh I remember the 70s.

Not a problem Thorman.

This thread has developed a life of it's own and I just would not want something I posted to lead the thread astray.

Thanks for getting back to me.
<<

onerockindoc

Post Tue May 27, 2014 7:02 pm

I started it...guess I'll finish it.

I asked the question to get a feel of how everyone feels. I'm a little bummed that more people did not respond because I think it would be helpful to all of us to gauge the feelings on the subject.

Abe, this has nothing at all to do with you. Stay, particiipate, enjoy.

If any of you have never visited the chat room during a race you are truly missing out. A nice group gathers and shares information and perspective.

There are SO many great things about this site. Let's all work together to make this a welcoming place for all SHR drivers fans while also applying pressure to those less desirable members.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Bob Marley
<<

jdpirate

Post Tue May 27, 2014 9:41 pm

I too am a former board moderator. The board that I was on (over 3 years ago) had the Thumbs UP/Down option. From what I recall, it was only there for each post-- a way for people that didn't want to comment on that post, to agree or disagree with it. Nothing alerted the administrators/owners of the board as to the number of ups/downs a particular post received or that there could be a potential problem. It was the moderators that watched this and alerted the admin/owner of issues with posts, as well as given warnings to the people causing issues. While I was there, 2 people were banned from the board for multiple reasons. One was banned for behavior similar to what our problem poster is exhibiting as well as not showing any respect to others on the board. At least 3 warnings were given to both members and the problem remained. So they were banned.
Yes, I take the moderate view--- past experiences and lots of leadership training courses (a lot on how to deal with conflicts as well as other issues), plus my general motto-- if it isn't life or death, then it isn't important. As I said earlier though, I feel that things are out of control with one person. Does his condescending attitude towards me affect how I feel? Maybe. I am a big girl and can take care of myself, so I let it go. However, to come on here to see him calling other members stupid, etc., to use redneck in a totally derogatory manner and to trash -talk the site in itself is unacceptable behavior from any member in my opinion. If a person doesn't like most of a boards' members and thinks the site is garbage, then why are they still here? That makes no sense to me.
Inferiority complex? Who knows. Bully? Yes at times he comes across that way. Verbally abusive and threatening? Definitely. Out of control? Yes. Narcissitic? Sure sounds like it (Narcissistic personality disorder is a mental disorder in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance and a deep need for admiration. Those with narcissistic personality disorder believe that they're superior to others and have little regard for other people's feelings. But behind this mask of ultra-confidence lies a fragile self-esteem, vulnerable to the slightest criticism.

On another note, since it's where the discussion began, I'm sorry I haven't been in the chat room the last few weeks...unfortunately, my work hours have kept me away.
I'm Living my life the way I want to..... Tony Stewart
Never Quit..... Marcus Luttrell Lone Survivor
PreviousNext

Return to The Lobby