FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

California Chrome....

<<

michaeljohn

Post Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:57 am

Re: California Chrome....

there is a difference between sterling and the cowboy, one was done in the privacy of his home, the other on national, as stupid and moronic as both are, they are entitled to free speech and it just shows you how F'ed up this country has become when they can take something away from a man for making comments in private.. thats what sterling gets tho trusting a man dressed like a woman.... ZING!!!!!
<<

Rochelle

Post Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:23 pm

Jellikit wrote:
onerockindoc wrote:The co owners comments were crass. In this sport you know the rules and the odds going in. Their partnership is aptly named.

The sport to me is beautiful. Yes there are some disgusting people who will do horrendous things to defenseless animals but there are also some real heroes.

I have a couple on my mail route who own several race horses. They are very unassuming and genuine folks. And they are loaded. I have seen the beautiful things they've done for not only their retired horses but others as well. Like so many other sports it's all about the people.

If you've never seen the movie "Secretariat" then give it a look. It shows how that indeed, there are some incredibly classy people in horse-racing. And most will do anything, and give the world for their horse.
Coburn isn't one of them. He is definitely right about the rules and they need to be changed, but the guy just isn't meant to be in the public eye.
He's right about another thing. We'll never see another triple-crown winner with the way the rules are now.

No way this idiot was right. It's the same rules from the beginning and beating fresh horses is just another part of it. We may never see another Triple Crown winner but if he/she can't beat them outright, then just shut up and go home. Changing the rules now will only diminish the prestige of the Triple Crown and is a slap in the face to the horses, trainers and owners that have won with the rules as they are. It's not rocket science, it's always been this way. If you don't like the rules, take your attitude and go home.

It's not that I don't like California Chrome, but at this point, I don't think he's even horse of the year.

We don't need horse racing to become the next NASCRAP, changing the rules every time someone farts.

Leave horse racing alone, it's been doing fine for well over a hundred years!
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:33 pm

all i kept hearing pre race was how this horse wasnt that good until the derby, also there has been a picture of his hoof online from yesterdays race, it was red and tender, the cowboy is a sore loser, plain and simple,
<<

Rochelle

Post Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:50 pm

Yeah, I saw that picture. It didn't look too bad but I'm sure it hurt his performance. Problem is they don't know when it happened so no one can say for sure. That's horse racing though, luck is part of it. I just can't believe the sour grapes though, just no class. I've never heard anyone whine like that, such a shame that horse has to be associated with that loser... :roll: :roll: :roll:
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:25 am

it would be one thing if the horse finished 2nd to the eventually winner, but it didnt, so that theory of a fresh horse was irrelevant, it would cheapen the triple crown if they made up new rules, as i stated before, im not a fan of horse racing because of the injuries to horses... about 6 or 7 years ago when that one horse could have won the triple crown, but got injured, and eventually destroyed, he spent almost a full year at the University of Penn Veterinarian Clinic... they did everything to save that horse, i think the name was barbaro...
<<

debora

Post Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:41 am

Chrome tripped coming out of the gate,and caused his injury,which probably hindered his performance,ouch!
No Expectations No Disappointments.....
<<

Rochelle

Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:08 am

Now they're saying that he tangled with another horse coming out of the gate. Still part of racing, and they say he'll be ok. Now Yosemite Sam is apologizing all over the place. Too little too late dude, you already showed your arse.

I think the breeding needs to be looked at before we'll ever see another Triple Crown winner. The great sires are so far removed now, the gene pool is so diluted, I just don't think they'll ever get another great horse. And I don't mean another Affirmed... I mean like another Secretariat. If that performance at the Belmont when he won the Triple Crown didn't make you tear up and get goose bumps, you're not human. He just kept running and running, faster and faster. What a spectacular race that was. He was the last really great horse...
<<

Jellikit

Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:51 am

Sick of how all this, even his apologies, overrides the fact of just how awesome horses are.
These animals are spectacular. They're very human in a sort of way....full of personality and each one different.
My Aunt and Uncle have a farm in Cassopolis Michigan. Still the same today as it was 40 years ago. The first horse I ever rode was there's, Babe. My cousins and I always had the best times there.
I think one of the best times I ever had was riding in Mexico, near Mexico city. There was about 25 of us, and I just chose the biggest horse because I'm a pretty tall guy, and I was pretty sure that most of them, especially the younger ones, didn't have experience on a horse. When I got on, the guide came up to our translator/good friend of mine and said something. I asked what. He told me, "He said that horse is a runner." Turns out he was the alpha too. Every time we finished walking a part of a trail, the guide would gather us and tell us what to expect and that the horses were going to be running. He'd look at me and ask if I was ready, which I thought was odd. But I realized why very soon. My horse was never going to let any other be in front. If a horse would start to pass, he'd do a double-take at them...no kidding....and just bolt! No horse passed him all day long. So, I had to be pretty vigilante about looking far ahead and guiding the horse a little bit so that I didn't hit any branches or trees. Turns out, I missed one, and caught my knee pretty good on a tree hiding inside some palms. :( More fascinating to me than his desire to lead, was how at the end of every run, he'd turn around and start walking back through the approaching horses, literally checking that each and every one made it okay. When the last horse arrived, he'd turn around and walk back through the group to the front, and do it all over again.
If I had a scanner, I'd get a great pic of us on here. But, here's some great images from the best horse song ever. ;)
<<

thorman52

Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:29 pm

Great video Jell. (you still online?) I agree that Horses are one of the most magnificent animals on earth. I'm an animal lover anyway but the horses and dogs I'd have a thousand if I had the ability. Had a lady friend that had a horse and I'd go to the stables to feed it and exercise it with her. When it would look at me with those big eyes and eventually nudge me I kinda knew I was accepted around him. :D
Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.”
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

Jellikit

Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:16 pm

Glad ya' liked it. Have to say, some of the images in that vid are pretty stirring of emotions. Props to the guy/gal who put it together and shared it w/ everyone on utube.
Cool story Thor. Horses definitely have the ability to let you know what they're thinking.
<<

onerockindoc

Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:12 pm

I've had the privilege of owning 3 horses. They taught me way more than I ever did them and the experience for me was life changing. The love I gave and received was priceless.

Some here know this but even my nickname here is one of their names.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
Previous

Return to The Lobby