FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

California Chrome....

<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue May 20, 2014 1:01 am

Re: California Chrome....

Rochelle wrote:lol, mj... It's not cheatin' if ya ask permission 1st! :mrgreen:

i only heard about this hoopla today, strips dont make a horse run fast, unless chad had help in making them :D
<<

smokieonefour

Post Tue May 20, 2014 2:02 am

Yes, the strips make a huge difference.

When a horse breathes heavy, its nostrils actually "collapse" over the air holes, cutting off air supply. The strips stop that from happening, just like nasal strips for humans hold your nostrils apart.

The strips make such a positive difference, they are thinking of allowing them in every race, if desired.

Some will never use them and cry foul; some will experiment and then you have Chromee, who has rarely run without them. It's a matter of choice but the industry is thinking of dropping them from the banned performance enhancement list.
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

onerockindoc

Post Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:18 pm

Today is the day for a shot at the triple crown. I sure hope he can pull this off.

Go Chrome Go
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

thorman52

Post Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:17 pm

With 30 minutes to go till post time, who thinks California Chrome can win the Triple Crown?

If Not, who do you think will win?

Post.......Horse..........Odds
1 .......Medal Count 26-1
2 .......California Chrome 4-5
3 .......Matterhorn 38-1
4 .......Commanding Curve 8-1
5 .......Ride on Curlin 7-1
6 .......Matuszak 31-1
7 .......Samraat 19-1
8 .......Commissioner 27-1
9 .......Wicked Strong 5-1
10...... General a Rod 36-1
11 .......Tonalist 12-1

I'm betting on Tonalist at 12-1
Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.”
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

onerockindoc

Post Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:46 pm

Looks like some of the money and picks go to Wicked Strong. My money and my heart goes to Chrome.
<<

onerockindoc

Post Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:59 pm

Hats off to you Thor. Wasn't meant to be for Chrome.
<<

thorman52

Post Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:03 pm

Thanks Doc. I wish I had a bunch of money on Tonalist. Should also have put up a separate topic much earlier for fun. :roll: :roll:
Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.”
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:10 pm

im not big on horse racing, i find it to be a disgusting sport the way some horses get treated or end up losing their life over a STUPID race and today the jerk in the cowboy hat re-confirmed everything for me, he was a big cry baby upset cuz the triple crown was taken from him, stfu, he sounded like a fool...
<<

onerockindoc

Post Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:21 pm

The co owners comments were crass. In this sport you know the rules and the odds going in. Their partnership is aptly named.

The sport to me is beautiful. Yes there are some disgusting people who will do horrendous things to defenseless animals but there are also some real heroes.

I have a couple on my mail route who own several race horses. They are very unassuming and genuine folks. And they are loaded. I have seen the beautiful things they've done for not only their retired horses but others as well. Like so many other sports it's all about the people.
<<

ndunn

Post Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:40 pm

I watched the race and would like to have seen a triple crown.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Jellikit

Post Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:44 pm

onerockindoc wrote:The co owners comments were crass. In this sport you know the rules and the odds going in. Their partnership is aptly named.

The sport to me is beautiful. Yes there are some disgusting people who will do horrendous things to defenseless animals but there are also some real heroes.

I have a couple on my mail route who own several race horses. They are very unassuming and genuine folks. And they are loaded. I have seen the beautiful things they've done for not only their retired horses but others as well. Like so many other sports it's all about the people.

If you've never seen the movie "Secretariat" then give it a look. It shows how that indeed, there are some incredibly classy people in horse-racing. And most will do anything, and give the world for their horse.
Coburn isn't one of them. He is definitely right about the rules and they need to be changed, but the guy just isn't meant to be in the public eye.
He's right about another thing. We'll never see another triple-crown winner with the way the rules are now.
<<

thorman52

Post Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:54 pm

What's beautiful to me is the horses. What magnificent animals. I've never been around horses much but when I was I was just really in awe.

The owner, Coburn, walked out of Belmont Park shaking hands, posing for pictures with fans including LLCool J. But when stopped by any reporter he ranted about the winner Tonalist and the Belmont Stakes in general. From Yahoo news (edited):

:evil: ~~~Coburn called Tonalist's connections "cowards" on NBC shortly after the race, and he continued the assault to anyone who asked him a question. The feel-good story of the spring ended with a finger-jabbing fusillade of profanity.

"They're a bunch of gd cheaters," Coburn told Yahoo Sports. "If your horse doesn't even have the points to run in the Kentucky Derby, he shouldn't be able to run in the Triple Crown. They're gd cheaters."~~~ :evil:

He knew the rules concerning entry into the Belmont Stakes well before post time. Did he say anything before the race? What a cry-baby, a poor loser and to think he owns one of the best horses in the country. What he's really upset about is his stud fees were probably cut in half for not winning the Triple Crown.
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:24 am

as thor said, he took a feel good moment and tarnished it with his constant complaining and acting like a jerk.... it just shows the type of man he really is,
<<

onerockindoc

Post Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:26 am

Chrome's chances at making them mega rich with stud fees was hardly likely with his mediocre gene pool. In the horse racing world the mother's lineage can be be forgiven but the studs blood line must be stellar. Oh he can run alright and he has 2 sisters coming behind him that might also be super fast.

I still love the storyline but with the post race rant I'm inclined to put Steve Coburn in the same category with Donald Sterling. Plain old stupid.
<<

thorman52

Post Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:22 am

So I say to myself, "I wonder how much they get for stud? What a great life after their racing careers are over. Just meandering out in the field, eating whatever it is they eat, take care of a couple of fillies now and then and be home in the stall in time to watch reruns of Mr. Ed." I Googled "horse stud service" and started looking through the articles. HOW DISGUSTING! Here's part of an article from "How Stuff Works" (easiest read). I started to edit it, but no. It's not all that long and it's very telling.

Life after the Race: Death and Breeding
It costs a tremendous amount of money to not only buy, but also maintain a race horse. There are stable fees, the salaries of grooms, trainers and farm managers, transportation costs, food. Keeping race horses can be an expensive business. Horses also have a comparatively short racing life. Most graded races are open only to colts and fillies ages 2 to 3 (Triple Crown races are open only to 3-year-olds), and the average Thoroughbred horse that makes it to post has only 18 starts in his or her lifetime [source: Equinews]. Some of the greatest Thoroughbred racehorses, including Seabiscuit and Man O' War, raced for only two years before retiring. Others, like 16-consecutive race winner Cigar, continued racing as a 5-year-old, but for the most part a horse's racing life will last perhaps three or four years.

This means that an owner has a very limited opportunity to produce a return on investment through racing his Thoroughbred. An owner of a winning horse can continue to make income, however, by collecting stud fees when leasing a stallion out to sire. Owners of Thoroughbred fillies and mares pay fees reaching half a million dollars to owners of winning and well-known stallions to bring their horses to mate, called covering. One breeding syndicate -- investors who make money through stud fees -- paid $60 million for 3-year-old Fusachi after he won the Kentucky Derby to retire him to stud [source: WGBH]. Winning fillies may go on to collect fees or produce valuable foals as broodmares -- the female equivalent of a stud.

Strong objections have been raised against breeding syndicates -- and horse racing in general -- in recent years. Stallions may be forced to inseminate as many as three females a day at six-month stretches for 20 years or more by syndicates that increase profits through the sheer volume of fees collected [source: Animal Aid]. Other Thoroughbreds, including newborn foals of questionable financial worth, are simply discarded. In February 2011, the British paper The Observer reported that in Great Britain alone, 7,933 horses were slaughtered for meat there in 2010; that was a 50 percent increase over the prior year and an estimated 25 percent of that increase in slaughtered horses was thought to be Thoroughbreds [source: Doward].

In the United States, where horse slaughter was outlawed in 2007, an estimated 120,000 horses (Thoroughbreds and others) were exported to Canada for slaughter in 2009. In total, an estimated two-thirds of all Thoroughbred race horses are euthanized, slaughtered or abandoned once they're retired from racing [source: Mullane]. As a result, a number of Thoroughbred horse rescue organizations have emerged to take in and care for abandoned or threatened Thoroughbreds.

So much for retirement. And I thought dog racing was abusive. We need many, many more rescue farms to take these magnificent animals in. The things you don't know that goes on behind the curtain.

“You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals.”
― Paul McCartney
“Some people talk to animals. Not many listen though. That's the problem.”
― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
“Man is the cruelest animal.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
~~~George Bernard Shaw
PreviousNext

Return to The Lobby