Amish Hash Browns
Ingredients - Original recipe makes 10 servings
• 1/2 cup flour
• 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 5 cups peeled and shredded potatoes**
• 1/3 cup vegetable oil
• 2 eggs
• 1 onion, minced
• 1/4 cup vegetable oil
1. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cornmeal, salt and baking powder.
2. Add potatoes, 1/3 cup of oil, eggs and onion and mix until evenly blended.
3. Heat 1/4 cup of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drop heaping tablespoons of the potatoes into the hot oil, flattening slightly like a pancake.
4. Cook until browned on the bottom*** and then flip and cook on the other side. Keep in a warm oven while frying the rest.
**After shredding potatoes put in a colander and rinse under cold water for about a minute or so. Drain well. You'll see and taste the difference.
*** I like my hash browns well done.
~~~George Bernard Shaw