FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

POST YOUR FAVORITE RECIPE

<<

thorman52

Post Fri May 09, 2014 5:58 pm

POST YOUR FAVORITE RECIPE

Here is my recipe for the Amish Hash Browns. I cook them up and eat em' hot then what's left over I eat em' cold too. Good either way.

Amish Hash Browns
Ingredients - Original recipe makes 10 servings
• 1/2 cup flour
• 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 5 cups peeled and shredded potatoes**
• 1/3 cup vegetable oil
• 2 eggs
• 1 onion, minced
• 1/4 cup vegetable oil

Directions
1. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cornmeal, salt and baking powder.
2. Add potatoes, 1/3 cup of oil, eggs and onion and mix until evenly blended.
3. Heat 1/4 cup of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drop heaping tablespoons of the potatoes into the hot oil, flattening slightly like a pancake.
4. Cook until browned on the bottom*** and then flip and cook on the other side. Keep in a warm oven while frying the rest.

**After shredding potatoes put in a colander and rinse under cold water for about a minute or so. Drain well. You'll see and taste the difference.
*** I like my hash browns well done.
Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.”
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

thorman52

Post Fri May 09, 2014 9:27 pm

Re: POST YOUR FAVORITE RECIPE

I'm a potato person as I've got about 2 dozen potato recipes. Now here's one that is not for the faint at heart or stomach. IT IS HOT! I just made them tonight for dinner and have eaten 1/2 of them. For those who like potatoes and like hot stuff, give it a try.

Tangy Baked French Fries
Ingredients - Original recipe makes 4 servings
• 4 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch thick fries**
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 tablespoons lime juice
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1 teaspoon chili powder
• 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
• 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 400° F.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the olive oil, lime juice, garlic, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, chili powder, mustard, and pepper.
3. Add the potato slices, and stir until evenly coated.*** Arrange fries in a single layer on a large baking sheet.
4. Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven. Then, turn the fries over, and continue to bake for 10 to 15 more minutes, until crispy and browned. Season with salt, and serve.****

**I like mine a little thicker. Make some thin and some thick to see how you like yours.
***It may not look like the mixture will cover all the potatoes but it will.
****As mentioned before, I like my potatoes well done so I add at least 10 minutes on to the cooking time. Do as you will.

CAUTION: AGAIN, THESE ARE HOT!
Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.”
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

beaverpond

Post Fri May 09, 2014 9:32 pm

If I shared any of my favorite family recipes...my grandmother would rollover in her grave
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
<<

thorman52

Post Sat May 10, 2014 4:58 pm

Well, we wouldn't want that now would we? :roll:
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

beaverpond

Post Sat May 10, 2014 5:19 pm

That is when you have to figure out what is more important, fewer rewards in heaven with our Lord because of mistake ... or ... an eternity in heaven with an angry grandmother. You do the math.
Image Image

<<

thorman52

Post Sat May 10, 2014 6:59 pm

I'd post "my" favorite dish and leave grandma's in the drawer.

Dorothy and Toto are calling. Have a great evening everyone.
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

dirt93

Post Sun May 11, 2014 10:44 pm

Buffalo Chicken Sliders

Total Time: 20 min

Ingredients:
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 cup hot sauce, such as Frank's Red Hot
12 slider rolls, buttered and grilled
Blue cheese dressing- (recipe follows)
Tomato slices, for serving
Green leaf lettuce, for serving

Directions

Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the oil. Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with salt, pepper, cumin, paprika and cayenne. Sear both sides of the chicken until golden, about 4 minutes. Add in the hot sauce to the skillet. Bring to a simmer and finish cooking till chicken is done. Pull apart the meat with two forks to shred it. Adjust the seasoning if necessary.

Place some chicken on the bottom buns, top with blue cheese dressing, tomatoes and then lettuce.

Blue cheese dressing:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder

Blend all together and let sit for about half hour.
Here kitty kitty.. come get you some of this!!
<<

azk8ster

Post Sun May 11, 2014 11:54 pm

thorman52 wrote:I'd post "my" favorite dish and leave grandma's in the drawer.

Dorothy and Toto are calling. Have a great evening everyone.

Hope you're ok!

Cheese Dip

2# Velveeta
1 red pepper, small to medium diced
1 green pepper, small to medium diced
1 med to large red onion, small to medium diced
2 - 7oz cans diced green chiles (better yet, fresh chiles from the garden fire-roasted!)
splash (1/4 cup?) 1/2 and 1/2 or milk
couple shakes of Tabasco sauce
1- 2 tsp (?) garlic powder
1 - 2 tsp (?) your favorite taco seasoning mix (optional)
1 small jalapeno, minced (de-seeded)

saute peppers, onion and chiles until tender but not too tender. this is a good time to use the taco mix seasoning (if you want)
break up the velveeta into large microwave-safe casserole dish (or you can melt it over a double-boiler on the stovetop on low-medium)
shake on the Tabasco
add 1/2 and 1/2
add garlic powder
add minced jalapeno
add sauteed veggies

microwave on half-power for 4 minutes. stir. keep microwaving on half power, stirring frequently, until it's as hot as you want it. i never really measure stuff, so the cups and teaspoons are guesses! this makes a LOT of cheese dip, but better to have too much than not enough!
"Faith is believing in things when common sense tells you not to"
<<

ndunn

Post Mon May 12, 2014 11:49 am

thorman52 wrote:I'm a potato person as I've got about 2 dozen potato recipes. Now here's one that is not for the faint at heart or stomach. IT IS HOT! I just made them tonight for dinner and have eaten 1/2 of them. For those who like potatoes and like hot stuff, give it a try.

Tangy Baked French Fries
Ingredients - Original recipe makes 4 servings
• 4 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch thick fries**
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 tablespoons lime juice
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1 teaspoon chili powder
• 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
• 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 400° F.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the olive oil, lime juice, garlic, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, chili powder, mustard, and pepper.
3. Add the potato slices, and stir until evenly coated.*** Arrange fries in a single layer on a large baking sheet.
4. Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven. Then, turn the fries over, and continue to bake for 10 to 15 more minutes, until crispy and browned. Season with salt, and serve.****

**I like mine a little thicker. Make some thin and some thick to see how you like yours.
***It may not look like the mixture will cover all the potatoes but it will.
****As mentioned before, I like my potatoes well done so I add at least 10 minutes on to the cooking time. Do as you will.

CAUTION: AGAIN, THESE ARE HOT!

This sounds like they would be very good. But I can't go the spicy. I'll have to give the recipe to my daughter as she loves all the spice.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Annalee

Post Mon May 12, 2014 1:30 pm

beaverpond wrote:That is when you have to figure out what is more important, fewer rewards in heaven with our Lord because of mistake ... or ... an eternity in heaven with an angry grandmother. You do the math.

Our Grandmothers are just alike.... :lol: :lol: They are up there running the kitchens, cooking up a storm .......But I have other recipes I can share.... Do you only want potato recipes??
Image"Fight for Four".......................me
<<

thorman52

Post Mon May 12, 2014 8:07 pm

Annalee writes:
Our Grandmothers are just alike.... :lol: :lol: They are up there running the kitchens, cooking up a storm .......But I have other recipes I can share.... Do you only want potato recipes??

Just potato recipes?...no, not at all. That's just me. Any recipe you'd like to share with the group. I've only been cooking for a little over a year and seems the potato recipes come out the best. As an example, the first time I tried a chili recipe it was absolutely wonderful. I was so happy. But, I haven't made chili since then that I'd feed to a dog. I keep trying though. I throw away about as much food as I eat. Sad but true. I really have a problem with spices.
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

beaverpond

Post Mon May 12, 2014 9:37 pm

I think my grandmother worded it correctly...marry somebody who knows how to cook or learn how to cook yourself because if the person you marry has no clue how to cook, you will end up teaching her and it will be much worse if neither of you has a single clue...

So she taught me everything she knew, then she teamed up with one of my aunts who also worked with me, then my Mom finally got involved when she realized I actually had a knack for working my way around the kitchen and in some cases better than herself and she did it professionally.

To this day, my mother has asked if I missed my calling and wonders if I should have gone into the restaurant business and not retail and marketing.

Back to my first paragraph, my wife had no idea how to cook let alone what it was like to work in a kitchen and follow a recipe. She was the type of person who said, yup this looks like it should go together without knowing what the different spices are, what works with what, and what can have a really bad chemical reaction with what. The first year was a rough one and I really am glad I followed my grandmother's advice because I ended up teaching her how to cook. Now she is not half bad.

I think one of the funniest things that happened during that first year was when my in-laws would come over to have dinner. I would prepare Lasagna and all the fixings, another time was when I made Spaghetti and Meatballs with all the trimmings, another time I did a seafood feast...each time my father-in-law would just stuff himself going back for seconds, thirds, and one time forths. My mother-in-law asked him if he was okay and he said I am fine, this food is fabulous...this food actually tastes like food. This stuff tastes terrific. She just glared at him. He then added that he had not had food this good in years. My wife said that I think my Dad will be sleeping on the couch. He added, I don't care because after all this it will be worth it. My mother-in-law just looked at me and said don't you say a word, not a single word, just keep your mouth shut.

I had to leave the room so I could laugh.
Image Image

<<

Annalee

Post Mon May 12, 2014 9:40 pm

Keeping with the potato theme, good for a summer BBQ

LOADED BAKED POTATO SALAD......
Servings: 6

8 large red potatoes, cubed
2 teaspoons salt
6 slices bacon, diced & crisp cooked
6 green onions
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
16 ounces sour cream
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup Mayonnaise

Directions:
Cube and boil potatoes with salt. Drain.
Crumble bacon and slice onions (including tops).
Combine sour cream, pepper and Mayonnaise.

Add to potatoes......bacon, onions and cheese (reserve some of each for top).
Mix with potatoes.

Chill til ready to serve.........I sprinkle a little paprika on top, just for color!
Image"Fight for Four".......................me
<<

beaverpond

Post Mon May 12, 2014 10:36 pm

NEW ENGLAND POTATO SALAD

8 lbs of Red Potatoes
1 Bunch of Celery
1 Large Sweet Onion
12 Eggs
1 Jar of Mayonnaise
1/4 Cup of Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard
Sprinkling of Paprika

Servings: 20

clean, peel, dice, & drain potatoes
clean, slice, & dice celery
clean, slice, & dice onion
boil, cool, & shell eggs
dice 10 boiled egg whites
place 10 boiled egg yolks in a separate bowl

In two large bowls combine potatoes, celery, onions, egg whites, and mayonnaise. In a separate bowl combine the egg yolks and grey poupon. Once the potato combination is thoroughly mixed, now add the egg yolk mixture to the potato combination and mix thoroughly. Spread out in a 13x9x3 pan and then slice the two remaining eggs and lay them across the top of the potato salad. Now sprinkle with paprika. Chill for 24 hours.
Image Image

<<

azk8ster

Post Mon May 12, 2014 10:59 pm

Great story, Beav!
"Faith is believing in things when common sense tells you not to"
Next

Return to The Lobby