FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Black Box Recorders in All US Cars

<<

Searchers

Post Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:00 am

Black Box Recorders in All US Cars

Too much government oversight in the USA today. :x

Event Data Recorders (EDRs), also known as "black boxes" or "sensing and diagnostic modules," capture information, such as the speed of a vehicle and the use of a safety belt, in the event of a collision to help understand how the vehicle’s systems performed. In 2012 the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in December 2012 proposed a rule requiring automakers to install EDRs in all light passenger vehicles. It quietly went into effect Sept. 1, 2014. Most car manufacturers currently install these devices in new vehicles.

To date, only 14 states--Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Maine, Nevada, New Hampshire, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Virginia and Washington--have enacted statutes relating to event data recorders and your right to privacy. Among other provisions, these states provide that data collected from a motor vehicle event data recorder may only be downloaded with the consent of the vehicle owner, with certain exceptions.

The U.S. government wants every vehicle made in America to include them as standard equipment.

Read more at http://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts/NHTSA-s- ... V2PHDzw.99
<<

beaverpond

Post Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:44 am

Re: Black Box Recorders in All US Cars

Yup, been nothing new to us here in Maine since the late 80s when all of our cars were computerized. I remember working at a car dealership and being told that that it was the law in Maine that all new cars and light trucks be equipped with the vehicle version of the black box which can tell so many things...how fast you were going, the RPMs of the engine at the time of crash, when the last oil change was, were the brakes applied prior to crash, were turn signals used and were there are lights burned out prior to crash, how much fuel was in the tank, how many people were in the car and how much did each person weigh, where was each person sitting, was the radio on and at what decibel level was it set at, and the list just keeps on going.

In the 90s they added in Mini-Vans, Passenger Vans, and SUVs.
<<

Searchers

Post Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:17 pm

Wow, is the provided information used by the cops to investigate accidents? Are insurance companies given access?
<<

ndunn

Post Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:41 pm

!
Last edited by ndunn on Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:01 pm

keep in mind in the united states. being able to drive is considered a privilege, not a right.

So invasion of privacy really wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
ImageImageImage
<<

14Smokem

Post Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:09 pm

It is the cradle to grave mentality of the ruling class.

Somewhere "free will" became lost.

The Government knows how you should run your life.....
Don't believe that.....???? Look around you...

The Government has rules for everything.... some of those rules, if broken,
can land you under scrutiny.... which could land you incarcerated.

Be careful what you buy into, you are losing your freedoms faster than
you might ever imagine.

My own vehicles are old enough that I will never be required to retrofit
them for anything...... 1929.. 1940.. 1966.. 1972.. not including the Motorhome
which is excluded as well............

Yup.... I am one of those.... I stay away from unwanted intrusions into my life.
1994 USAC Midget Champion ** 1995 USAC Midget Champion ** 1995 USAC Sprint Car Champion ** 1995 USAC Silver Crown Champion
1997 Indy Car Champion ** 2006 IROC Champion ** 2002 NASCAR Champion ** 2005 NASCAR Champion ** 2011 NASCAR Champion
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:31 pm

Schmoopy1000 wrote:keep in mind in the united states. being able to drive is considered a privilege, not a right.

So invasion of privacy really wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

ill give it to ya buddy, sometimes you do toss out a great line....
I miss you Frehley........
<<

beaverpond

Post Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:35 pm

Right on the cover of the written documentation that all drivers study before taking the written test, it says right on it ... Remember one thing, driving is a privilege not a right.

Then while taking the driving test, the State Trooper reminds everybody us of this and tells us that it only takes one speeding ticket to lose it for a year as a teenager and one infraction involving alcohol to lose it until you are 21.

For adults they let us know that the first six months are a probationary period if you have never driven before.

As to the Black Boxes, the State Police and Local Police Departments have access to them as part of their investigation and they then turn over their results over to insurance companies and local DAs Office. Today with added technology of front and rear cameras as well as side view sensors they are added into the investigation if the vehicle is so equipped. These advancements can be your best friend or your worst enemy, depending on the situation. The same with vehicles that have a built in dash cam.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:36 pm

if people are worried about these black boxes, maybe they should get rid of their computers, smartphones, credit cards..
I miss you Frehley........
<<

BlackFlag

Post Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:25 am

All you need is a pair of wire cutters. Snip, snip.......
Oopsie, my black box must be OOC.
My least favorite band in the history of music is called: Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.
<<

beaverpond

Post Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:08 pm

Neither my car or truck have one as the states they originally came from when I bought them at auction ... they were not required to have the "black box". The dealer asked where I bought my vehicles when they could not find one on the truck recently and could not find one on the car last year.

Gee, officer I guess that means you will have to do some real investigative work now won't you. :mrgreen:

Another site I have been visiting that has been having this same discussion over the last 24 hours has been getting a lot of mixed reviews on the subject. A lot of people don't even know the state they live in has requires they have them going all the way back to as early as 1974 and as recent as 2007 with amendments to their laws up to last year.

I had somebody provide a link to the study for a Congressional Committee before the bill became a law.
http://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R43651.pdf
<<

Searchers

Post Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:58 am

These are the voting results from the site where I got the original posting from. I am surprised at how close the vote is.

Should vehicles be equipped with Event Data Recorders (“black boxes”) to help determine what caused an accident?

Yes 45%

No 44%

No opinion 9%

Total votes: 16530
<<

beaverpond

Post Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:14 am

You and I must be looking at the same place. This has got to be one of the closest surveys they have had in awhile.
<<

johnc

Post Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:35 am

Thank you for sharing great thoughts. The accident researchers are welcoming a move by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to mandate event data recorders, or black boxes, in all U.S. automobiles and light trucks beginning in Sept, 2014. But privacy supports warn that it could possibly be stepping over a line.
<<

beaverpond

Post Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:03 am

Almost all GM models have had one version or another of the black box on their vehicles since 1972 and as technology has advanced so have these devices...I am referring to the light truck, SUV, and car.

Return to The Lobby