Whatever goes... remember, this is a family forum
Post a reply

Computer Go Boom :(

Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:38 pm

Everyone knows there's a lot of severe weather in the southeast. At around 7 PM, there was a lightning strike next to my house, I actually felt the heat from it in my bedroom, scared the #### out of me. Well, once the cable came back on (we have comcast for everything and it goes out anytime the wind gets up over 5 MPH) I decided to try to turn my PC on. Nothing happened. Unplugged the #### thing, plugged it back in, all the lights came on - along with the mouse - but nothing would ever come up and it wouldn't turn off by holding the button in.

Pretty sure the strike musta caught the wireless router we used for this laptop, it was plugged to the desktop. Regardless, it means no cartoons from me indefinitely, sorry to all two people who enjoyed 'em.

Re: Computer Go Boom :(

Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:57 pm

so sorry Aaron :cry:

Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:22 am

A) That would've scared much more than the hel1 out of me, if you catch my drift...

B) Thank God it didn't hit your house

C) Most important, YOU weren't hurt!

We'll just appreciate the 'toons that much more when we get 'em back!

Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:57 am

if the lights on the tower come on are u sure its not just the monitor that fried? can u hear the fans running?

Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:05 pm

Aww, sorry Aaron.. Have you tried turning it on in Safe Mode? Probably it did fry your power supply. I hope not. Good Luck man !!!

Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:35 pm

Aaron: Here are some simple suggestions based upon which computer.

Laptop: It could simply be an electrical problem. Therefore, analyze the situation accordingly. First check to be sure everything is still plugged in. Take out and put back in each cord into your laptop and your router. Verify the adapter is connected. Rule out the converter provided was not zapped or the adapter was not zapped. You should have received a spare converter with your kit.

Desktop: Once again, think electrical. Verify the monitor is plugged in and all cables are connected. Disconnect each wire from the router and the telephone line which goes into the computer. Basically, reset your router. Gradually weed out the problem based on the results. Some computers have a safety switch on the monitor to prohibit electrical surges. Therefore, check to see if the monitor is on. The safety will turn it off.

One more thing ~ verify you surge protector is still on. Hope you can the computer back up and running.

TB14
Post a reply