FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Question of the Day

<<

ndunn

Post Sat May 10, 2014 12:51 pm

Re: Question of the Day

smokieonefour wrote:
ndunn wrote:.... I was attending a one room school and we didn't get the most educated teachers. She told my father who was on the school board and I caught he$$ and was made to apologize. The word was a Spanish word and even tho I'm not Spanish and speak very little Spanish I was correct.

NDunn - this story made me chuckle ... as I could have written it myself w/a few different details, but generally the same. I was taught to speak up ... and I did. Respectfully, but I did. LOL

I was like my father and a grandmother. Speak up if one doesn't understand what a person is saying. This experience was when I was in the 8th grade. I know my dad had to deal with this "biddy" and I did apologize but gagged doing it. So after that I never argued unless I knew I was right. When I was in the 9th grade my home ec teacher told me I wasn't any good at sewing and I was so angry (I never said anything to her) but I took classes and sewed up a storm. I probably put in over 50 years including making my own clothes. I had to give up sewing because arthritis crippled my hands. I miss all the things I could I make.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

14Smokem

Post Sat May 10, 2014 1:41 pm

ndunn wrote:
smokieonefour wrote:
ndunn wrote:.... I was attending a one room school and we didn't get the most educated teachers. She told my father who was on the school board and I caught he$$ and was made to apologize. The word was a Spanish word and even tho I'm not Spanish and speak very little Spanish I was correct.

NDunn - this story made me chuckle ... as I could have written it myself w/a few different details, but generally the same. I was taught to speak up ... and I did. Respectfully, but I did. LOL

I was like my father and a grandmother. Speak up if one doesn't understand what a person is saying. This experience was when I was in the 8th grade. I know my dad had to deal with this "biddy" and I did apologize but gagged doing it. So after that I never argued unless I knew I was right. When I was in the 9th grade my home ec teacher told me I wasn't any good at sewing and I was so angry (I never said anything to her) but I took classes and sewed up a storm. I probably put in over 50 years including making my own clothes. I had to give up sewing because arthritis crippled my hands. I miss all the things I could I make.

This reminded me of an 8th Grade event.....

I attended parochial school, and in Catechism class, I asked a question.
The Nun could not answer and said I..... "Must have faith"
I responded...
Sister...
You may tell me you don't know the answer..
You may tell me where to find the answer..
You may tell me you will find the answer for me...
BUT, "You must have faith" is NOT an answer..........

You Gotta know my Mom got THE call that night.....

Much to her credit... she told the Nun... I was right..

God Bless my Mom... Happy Mothers Day Mom....
Wish I could tellya that.... :-)

Oh Yeah... Mom DID tell me although I was right...
I shoulda done a better job with my retort.

AND.. I still graduated... :D :D :D
1994 USAC Midget Champion ** 1995 USAC Midget Champion ** 1995 USAC Sprint Car Champion ** 1995 USAC Silver Crown Champion
1997 Indy Car Champion ** 2006 IROC Champion ** 2002 NASCAR Champion ** 2005 NASCAR Champion ** 2011 NASCAR Champion
<<

smokieonefour

Post Fri May 16, 2014 5:00 pm

What images, thoughts, memories pop into your head at the mention of SUMMER ? :-)

For me - #1 is ( ugh ) picking & canning / preserving summer fruit! LOL Did it for years as a kid!

next would be ... swimming in a lake :-)

Did anyone go to a summer camp for anything? I went to 2 - and LOVED them! I should go back as an adult & be a worker :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri May 16, 2014 7:01 pm

the summers growing up in minneapolis, it was the best time in my life growing up as a kid, i would start the day with my paper route, then go to the pool for a good 8hrs, then depending on the day, i would either go play baseball, rollerskating or even to the library and just read, then if i was lucky, go to the old met stadium and see a Twins game..... good.... good times
I miss you Frehley........
<<

thorman52

Post Fri May 16, 2014 7:41 pm

My favorite summer memories weren't as a kid but when I was in my 30s. I was working in Northern Lower Michigan and would commute from Cadillac to South Bend to drop off my laundry at my sister's then on to New Buffalo, Michigan to spend the weekend on a friends sailboat. I did this for three summers. Friday night would be partying, then Saturday was reserved for practicing for Sunday races. Saturday nights were for partying some more then Sunday were the local races. We won a few races but most of all we had fun. There were probably 20-30 family and friends that would congregate around the boat on any given weekend. We were there to race but most were there to party and party we did.

About 3 times a summer were the premier races where we'd sail to Chicago for the Tri-State, The Columbia or the Chicago to Mackinaw Races. These races were to be taken more seriously so we partied heartier at some of the best restaurants in Chicago. The "Mac" race was particularly fun as it was a 333 mile straight shot to Mackinaw Island which took us 2-1/2 days. The bigger boats would do it in 24 hours. Among the contestants (but out of our class) was Ted Turner and Kris Kristofferson and a few other celebrity sailors. We wanted to do well but mostly we had fun.

Then late Sunday afternoon soon came around and it was time to drive to South Bend to pick up my laundry from my sister (she was a saint), pick up my orders from the warehouse and drive to Grand Rapids to start my week. It's really a wonder I survived those 3 years.
Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.”
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

ndunn

Post Fri May 16, 2014 10:10 pm

smokieonefour wrote:What images, thoughts, memories pop into your head at the mention of SUMMER ? :-)

For me - #1 is ( ugh ) picking & canning / preserving summer fruit! LOL Did it for years as a kid!

Did anyone go to a summer camp for anything? I went to 2 - and LOVED them! I should go back as an adult & be a worker :-)

I only went once when I was in middle school. It was an all girl camp and the boys were across the lake. No one bothered to mix with the boys. We had tons of fun without them.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

<<

smokieonefour

Post Sun May 18, 2014 1:43 pm

ndunn wrote:
smokieonefour wrote:

I only went once when I was in middle school. It was an all girl camp and the boys were across the lake. No one bothered to mix with the boys. We had tons of fun without them.

I am SURE there are more than a few good stories from that summer! LOL

I'll tell a true camp story that made a big impression on me, at 10 yrs old.

Our camp was split too, boys over here, girls over there. The bunk houses were separated from the dining hall, by a "hallway" between huge, massive boulders. ( Bigger than houses )

One morning, we all awoke to find ... that the older boys had rolled boulders down and in, to completely block the 'hallway' to breakfast. All the adults were shocked and didn't know what to do. As they made a huddle to figure this out, the boys scrambled up the boulders blocking the way and started helping the other kids up and over. The counselors did not even notice this happening! Ha ha ha

As the adults "thought about a solution" ... the kids just found one. :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

ndunn

Post Sun May 18, 2014 11:32 pm

thorman52 wrote:My favorite summer memories weren't as a kid but when I was in my 30s. I was working in Northern Lower Michigan and would commute from Cadillac to South Bend to drop off my laundry at my sister's then on to New Buffalo, Michigan to spend the weekend on a friends sailboat. I did this for three summers. Friday night would be partying, then Saturday was reserved for practicing for Sunday races. Saturday nights were for partying some more then Sunday were the local races. We won a few races but most of all we had fun. There were probably 20-30 family and friends that would congregate around the boat on any given weekend. We were there to race but most were there to party and party we did.

About 3 times a summer were the premier races where we'd sail to Chicago for the Tri-State, The Columbia or the Chicago to Mackinaw Races. These races were to be taken more seriously so we partied heartier at some of the best restaurants in Chicago. The "Mac" race was particularly fun as it was a 333 mile straight shot to Mackinaw Island which took us 2-1/2 days. The bigger boats would do it in 24 hours. Among the contestants (but out of our class) was Ted Turner and Kris Kristofferson and a few other celebrity sailors. We wanted to do well but mostly we had fun.

Then late Sunday afternoon soon came around and it was time to drive to South Bend to pick up my laundry from my sister (she was a saint), pick up my orders from the warehouse and drive to Grand Rapids to start my week. It's really a wonder I survived those 3 years.

I enjoyed your post as I know what your talking about. I'm a life time Michigander and I love it here except for the past winter. My son works in Grand Rapids and has been there about 10 years. Several years ago we lived for a short time in Michigan just north of South Bend. I could write a book about that place.

<<

thorman52

Post Mon May 19, 2014 12:00 am

ndunn posted:
I enjoyed your post as I know what your talking about. I'm a life time Michigander and I love it here except for the past winter. My son works in Grand Rapids and has been there about 10 years. Several years ago we lived for a short time in Michigan just north of South Bend. I could write a book about that place.

Thanks. Those were special times on the boat. It was non-stop from Friday night to late Sunday evening. I've always enjoyed the Michigan beaches. If we weren't working on the boat we'd be having friends stop by all weekend just to party. Like I said, I'm surprised I survived those fun but hectic times.
Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.”
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

ndunn

Post Mon May 19, 2014 11:05 pm

thorman52 wrote:ndunn posted:

Thanks. Those were special times on the boat. It was non-stop from Friday night to late Sunday evening. I've always enjoyed the Michigan beaches. If we weren't working on the boat we'd be having friends stop by all weekend just to party. Like I said, I'm surprised I survived those fun but hectic times.

This would be a good time to come back to Michigan and see the lakes. For several years the water was way down and the drought was severe but we had such high snow falls also in the UP where the snow melts into the great lakes this past winter things are getting better. I grew up in the southern part of the state where there is a lake every where. Have you ever heard of the Irish Hills? I couldn't tell you how many lakes are around there. My in-laws had a home on a lake in the Irish hills area and my father -in-law fished all summer and they have great fish there. I can almost taste the bass and blue gills. We only have one lake around here. It's strange where the lakes are. Hey you wouldn't trade those times for anything even if they were hectic. My youth was fun and I wouldn't give up a second of it.

<<

hboyle

Post Sat May 24, 2014 10:13 pm

smokieonefour wrote:What images, thoughts, memories pop into your head at the mention of SUMMER ? :-)

As a Cape Cod native, the first thing I think about is the beach. I'm currently going to school in PA, and I miss the water terribly!
<<

hboyle

Post Sat May 24, 2014 10:16 pm

I haven't had a chance to post much lately, but since I'm here, I'll post a question... Hopefully this one hasn't already been asked, but if it has, oh well...

What's your favorite TV show?

Growing up, I was obsessed with Charmed. I don't get to watch TV as much now, but I really like watching Bones. :)
<<

Searchers

Post Sun May 25, 2014 12:07 am

hboyle wrote:I haven't had a chance to post much lately, but since I'm here, I'll post a question... Hopefully this one hasn't already been asked, but if it has, oh well...

What's your favorite TV show?

Growing up, I was obsessed with Charmed. I don't get to watch TV as much now, but I really like watching Bones. :)

Currently I am a fan of The Big Bang Theory.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sun May 25, 2014 12:38 am

Tv is boring these days for me... I love watching Minnesota Wild Hockey
as far as tv shows that are current..... American Dad
defunct shows....... Seinfeld and The Office....
I miss you Frehley........
<<

thorman52

Post Sun May 25, 2014 8:34 am

Sports, interesting documentaries and news programs mostly. For comedy I'll watch Fox News. Now and then American Pickers or Palladia for a concert.
~~~George Bernard Shaw
PreviousNext

Return to The Lobby