FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Question of the Day

<<

thorman52

Post Tue May 06, 2014 6:59 am

Re: Question of the Day

I have a small apartment. What I do is vacuum almost every day. This helps keep the dust down and I don't have a problem with dust as much. Takes me all of 10 minutes. Of course, if you have a large living room and dining room it might be a little much to vacuum every day.

Works for me.
Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.”
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

smokieonefour

Post Wed May 07, 2014 5:00 pm

ndunn wrote:.... I was attending a one room school and we didn't get the most educated teachers. She told my father who was on the school board and I caught he$$ and was made to apologize. The word was a Spanish word and even tho I'm not Spanish and speak very little Spanish I was correct.

NDunn - this story made me chuckle ... as I could have written it myself w/a few different details, but generally the same. I was taught to speak up ... and I did. Respectfully, but I did. LOL
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

smokieonefour

Post Wed May 07, 2014 5:07 pm

Best Gadget? Swiss Army knife - I never leave home without it. ;-)

Best cleaning tip? Hire a maid. ;-)
Can't afford one? Convince a friend to do it for free ;-)

OK... so what is up ( or down ) with the printed bed sheets ? ?

Does the pattern side go down, so one is enveloped in the pattern ?

Does the pattern go up, so it can be seen ?
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

<<

jsw14

Post Wed May 07, 2014 8:27 pm

Hmmmm, I didn't know printed bed sheets had Instruction's on how to install them on the bed :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Eather way, U can't see them when ur sleepin :roll: :lol: :lol:
BS & Brilliance only come with Age & Experience!!
Image "Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012
Image "STAND UP FOR TONY & SHR"
<<

onerockindoc

Post Wed May 07, 2014 10:29 pm

I've wandered into Hints by Heloise!!!

Smokie, your sheet question just cracked me up. You only live once so don't sweat the small stuff.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

smokieonefour

Post Thu May 08, 2014 2:49 pm

Well.... shheeee-it... I thought I was gonna get an answer! LOL

OK... so how about a funny, embarrassing story, from your past ? :-)

One winter, while in MT. & working at an auto dealership, we had an extra, staging parking lot, that mainly stayed empty. One day, as I "almost" slipped on some ice & recovered ... I found the empty parking lot to be a 'skating rink' for my flat bottom shoes. All alone, I practiced some sliding, a few jumps & such. When I felt I had it down, I invited a bunch of employees on break, to "watch."

First jump out ... I fell flat on my butt!!

No one saw the perfect slides & jumps ... it was like I invited everyone out, to watch me slip & fall on the ice, for real, not intended. :-(

*** EPIC FAIL ***
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

<<

ndunn

Post Thu May 08, 2014 5:36 pm

thorman52 wrote:I've only been cooking for about 18 months or so. My favorite cooking appliance is my two 12" skillets. I cook my pancakes, eggs, burgers and much more on them. I've got a killer recipe for Amish Hash Browns that I make regularly. Love em. Eat them hot then eat them cold. Got the skillets at garage sales, like most of what I own. I try slow cooking but never seem to get it just right. Some things come out okay but not much.

Do you use salt free butter for your hash browns? I also use an ancient black frying pan and if they are cooked just below medium I can turn them all in one piece. If you bought from garage sales chances are your kitchen ware is better than most.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

thorman52

Post Thu May 08, 2014 6:05 pm

ndunn asks:
Do you use salt free butter for your hash browns? I also use an ancient black frying pan and if they are cooked just below medium I can turn them all in one piece. If you bought from garage sales chances are your kitchen ware is better than most.

Wow...what a coincidence. I had a neighbor over from across the street asking me how I made my hash browns. I just made my regular hash browns for breakfast and yes, I use un-salted butter. They turned out great. I also rinse my shredded potatoes in a colander under cold water to rid it of most of the starch. I'll gladly PM my recipe for Amish hash brown it you want it. Got neighbors telling me to let them know when I make them. Always need to make extra.

Don't think I've got better than most but I'm really satisfied with what I have.
Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.”
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

ndunn

Post Fri May 09, 2014 1:44 pm

thorman52 wrote:ndunn asks:

Wow...what a coincidence. I had a neighbor over from across the street asking me how I made my hash browns. I just made my regular hash browns for breakfast and yes, I use un-salted butter. They turned out great. I also rinse my shredded potatoes in a colander under cold water to rid it of most of the starch. I'll gladly PM my recipe for Amish hash brown it you want it. Got neighbors telling me to let them know when I make them. Always need to make extra.

Don't think I've got better than most but I'm really satisfied with what I have.

thorman52 I would love to have the recipe for the Amish hash brown potatoes. My husband can't get enough of hash browns. I never thought about rinsing the potatoes but it does make sense.
Thanks thorman52.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

thorman52

Post Fri May 09, 2014 3:46 pm

ndunn said:
thorman52 I would love to have the recipe for the Amish hash brown potatoes. My husband can't get enough of hash browns. I never thought about rinsing the potatoes but it does make sense.
Thanks thorman52.

Recipe on its way. Enjoy!
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

smokieonefour

Post Fri May 09, 2014 4:45 pm

I love the Amish cooking & baking recipes too. :-) Have used a bunch, over the years.

Sometimes you'll find a recipe that calls for some "unknown" thing ... or something we "English" can't get a hold of, but by and large, I've found their recipes to be wonderful. :-)

Can I have a copy of the recipe too, please ? :-)

Oh shoot... might as well just post it here... LOL :-)

(( We did have a recipe blog, for awhile, on the old site. ))
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

<<

smokieonefour

Post Fri May 09, 2014 4:46 pm

Since we all know that Tony's "favorite meal" is his mom's spaghetti ... what's yours?

What dinner dish did your mom or dad cook, that you absolutely loved, growing up?

For me, it would have to be my mom's home made mac & cheese w/ham. :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri May 09, 2014 5:29 pm

turkey burgers.
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

thorman52

Post Fri May 09, 2014 5:52 pm

smokieonefour wrote:I love the Amish cooking & baking recipes too. :-) Have used a bunch, over the years.

Sometimes you'll find a recipe that calls for some "unknown" thing ... or something we "English" can't get a hold of, but by and large, I've found their recipes to be wonderful. :-)

Can I have a copy of the recipe too, please ? :-)

Oh shoot... might as well just post it here... LOL :-)

(( We did have a recipe blog, for awhile, on the old site. ))

YOU ASKED FOR IT!
Well, I went back 10 pages and found no recipe blog so I'll start one up and we'll see how it goes. I'll post the Amish Hash Browns first and hopefully we'll get some good stuff after that. I for one am always game for a new recipe. No secret ingredient in the hash browns but they're great if you do them right.
:lol:
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

USAF_iceman

Post Sat May 10, 2014 12:43 am

For the person that has most influenced my life, that's not hard question at all. It's a very good question though. For me, it is my father. He was always an encouraging person. He would help you when you needed it most and give you the most important advice you could ever ask for about life. He told me one day, that if a person didn't learn at least one new thing, he/she didn't live the day right. I have always tried to learn one new thing everyday. Not a day goes by that wish I could talk to him again cause I could use some more advice. Also, I'm not posting this to get a pitty applause I just wanted others to know that you can find advice and wisdom in people that aren't famous too and its your true loved ones that have your back no matter what you go through. They'll always be there for you.
PreviousNext

Return to The Lobby