Question of the Day

<<

Rochelle

Post Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:51 pm

Re: Question of the Day

michaeljohn wrote:
Rochelle wrote:That's an easy one, Shaun Morgan - Seether

stop trying to be hip or edgy :D

hahaha, I never try to be anything other than me... I have every recording they've ever made and know the words to most. When he actually sings and doesn't scream, he has a very beautiful voice. It actually gives me goose bumps.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

tlmerk

Post Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:14 am

thorman52 wrote:Thanks again smokieonefour for you kind response. I agree with you totally and add the following: (the following would have been posted a long time before this but I'm having connection problems.)

My "liberal quotes" were in response to the following post:

Rochelle wrote, in part:
lol smokie, maybe it's a Cali thing? Were you born there? I was born and raised in SoCal for almost 40 years... Would go back if I could afford to live there!

~ if immigrants don't take over ( seriously! )
~ if Cali doesn't slip / crack off into the sea
~ if a volcano or another earthquake doesn't do some serious damage all over
~ if the environmentalists don't choke the life out of humans,
~ if the ( ultra ) liberal politics don't run you out
~ if the state does not actually and really, go broke within years

Except for my post, I see no one criticizing the above. Is it political? I think so. Where do you see anything NASCAR related? Is the "Music game, Birthdays, Jukebox, LOL place, NFL football 2014 training camp, Big Brother, Prayer needed (religious?) etc. NASCAR related? Nuf said on that.

As for tlmerk's post, I see it more like a "Questioning the question", rather than merely answering the question. Like I stated...Answer or not and all is well.

The Lobby states..."Whatever goes...Remember this is a family forum." Seems like "What ever goes" means "as long as it doesn't disagree with me" to some.

What I'm going to do is start up a new thread where you can express your opinion on any subject presented, NASCAR or not. If you are for, against or have no opinion on the subject presented then act accordingly. It is not to start up a heated discussion to alienate or p.o. anyone, just an opinion thread. I happen to respect everyone's opinion whether I agree with them or not. If anyone is against this thread, please report it to the leaders and see if I'm out of order.

Just so you know what I meant and not to make a big deal out of it, I have never shied away from interesting topics no matter how controversial. That is how we all learn from each other. I especially love the topics of politics and religion as I do have strong feelings about those issues. However, I think there is a time and place for that discussion and a question of the day could be one of those places, but your post with merely anti-conservative and pro-liberal quotes seemed out of place and inflammatory.

The pot question was perfectly appropriate, timely and interesting. I actually don't know how I feel about it. I think it should probably be legalized, although I don't totally agree with a lot of the comments going on nowadays that it is safer than alcohol, etc. I just don't think we have enough info on that. But if alcohol is legal, why shouldn't pot be legal? But I'm not sure about all the legal ramifications. I do believe, and this might be an interesting question to put out there sometime, that 18 years old should be able to drink alcohol, and hence smoke pot if/when it is completely legalized. I don't understand how an 18-year-old adult who can marry, sign legal contracts, give up his/her life as a soldier, etc, cannot buy alcohol in most states? Jeesh!

So to finish my post on this, I am not against talking about religion and politics, but I think quite frankly it's a turn off for me for someone to spew political rhetoric on a NASCAR site when we weren't discussing politics. I hate it when Dems or Reps bash the other side because I have conservative and liberal views on things. I am an active member of Feminists for Life... that is not an oxymoron and all the early feminists were pro life. I am against gun control but very much for the right for anyone to marry, including gays, who are no different than the rest of us. So I am more sensitive when conservatives or liberals bash the other party. Quite frankly, I believe it shows that one is not practicing critical thinking but spewing party dogma and that loses credibility with me. (no offense, just my bias). I hate when conservatives do it just like the democrats. I esp. hate when those fundamentalist Christians bash gays as if they were truly following Christ, they would love them purely and fundamentally. The Bible is all about love and not judging.... Go figure! Now, I am stepping down from my soap box. :D
Where there's Smoke, there's fire!
<<

smokieonefour

Post Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:25 pm

TL, you get up on that soap box, any time you feel the need .... and I'll run cover for you! :-D

I can't help but notice that some of the um...uh ... er ... "disagreements" in here recently is due to MY statements (( I'd like to say Rochelle made me do it ...but to be honest... I'm a little afraid of her! Hee hee hee )) that I made about Cali having ULTRA liberal politics and the environmentalists are way too strong here.

If I can borrow the soap box for a moment, I'd like to explain a little further. First, I enjoyed the HECK out of Thorman's post of liberal sayings. I loved the "tit for tat" synergy from anyone, I loved someone adding their own idea's ( whether they agreed with me or not ) and I enjoyed reading them. I didn't find it offensive ... I didn't find it "anti-conservative" ... and I didn't find it to be starting a fight w/me or insulting me....but these are just my thoughts.

I am a middle of the roader - neither republican nor democrat... but probably lean a little more over to the liberal side of things. Maybe that's why I don't get upset ... because neither insulted camp is MY camp. ? ?

As far as 'ultra liberal politics' - I submit the names of Barbara Boxer, Diane Feinstein, Leon Panetta, Moonbeam Brown and a few others. These people push way to hard and too far ,.... in MY opinion.

I am an environmentalist ... but sometimes things get pretty squirrelly here in Cali with groups using terrorist tactics, to which I disagree with. I agree with PETA ... but would never throw blood on somebody or blow up a lab.

I'm thinking ... if anyone was offended by the liberal sayings ... then it's the message and not necessarily the messenger. Find exactly what offends you in the sayings and start there ? Have your say and let your voice & opinion to be heard as well?
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

smokieonefour

Post Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:28 pm

Rochelle wrote:
michaeljohn wrote:

stop trying to be hip or edgy :D

hahaha, I never try to be anything other than me... I have every recording they've ever made and know the words to most. When he actually sings and doesn't scream, he has a very beautiful voice. It actually gives me goose bumps.

Never heard of this guy but looked him up - thanks for widening my world :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

<<

tlmerk

Post Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:22 pm

smokieonefour wrote:TL, you get up on that soap box, any time you feel the need .... and I'll run cover for you! :-D

I can't help but notice that some of the um...uh ... er ... "disagreements" in here recently is due to MY statements (( I'd like to say Rochelle made me do it ...but to be honest... I'm a little afraid of her! Hee hee hee )) that I made about Cali having ULTRA liberal politics and the environmentalists are way too strong here.

If I can borrow the soap box for a moment, I'd like to explain a little further. First, I enjoyed the HECK out of Thorman's post of liberal sayings. I loved the "tit for tat" synergy from anyone, I loved someone adding their own idea's ( whether they agreed with me or not ) and I enjoyed reading them. I didn't find it offensive ... I didn't find it "anti-conservative" ... and I didn't find it to be starting a fight w/me or insulting me....but these are just my thoughts.

I am a middle of the roader - neither republican nor democrat... but probably lean a little more over to the liberal side of things. Maybe that's why I don't get upset ... because neither insulted camp is MY camp. ? ?

As far as 'ultra liberal politics' - I submit the names of Barbara Boxer, Diane Feinstein, Leon Panetta, Moonbeam Brown and a few others. These people push way to hard and too far ,.... in MY opinion.

I am an environmentalist ... but sometimes things get pretty squirrelly here in Cali with groups using terrorist tactics, to which I disagree with. I agree with PETA ... but would never throw blood on somebody or blow up a lab.

I'm thinking ... if anyone was offended by the liberal sayings ... then it's the message and not necessarily the messenger. Find exactly what offends you in the sayings and start there ? Have your say and let your voice & opinion to be heard as well?

:D Yep Smokie!! I think I already know what offends me in sayings like the ones I comment on... I think I would have said the exact same thing if Thorman was an ultra conservative bashing liberals. I hate it when people (not hating the people, as many of my favorite family members and friends are this way--- just hate the action) speak in terms of conservative vs. liberal, Republican vs. Democrat. It's like no one takes the time to look at the issues anymore. If someone just throws out liberalism or conservatism, I read ignorance. That's just me. I feel like let's throw away the labels and talk about the issues. Yep, you hit it on the mark. It's a major pet peeve of mine and thus my comments. I know you know I don't dislike people who have different opinions than me but I think there's a time and place for something that seemed to be a one-sided argument against something that wasn't even being discussed. The legalization of pot is not a conservative vs. democrat issue anyway IMO. Most conservatives are for LESS govt., not MORE. My own husband is conservative and we don't partake of pot and rarely drink, but he thinks it should be legal. Okay, REALLY stepping off my soap box now Smokie. :D
<<

Rochelle

Post Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:29 am

smokieonefour wrote:
Rochelle wrote:

Never heard of this guy but looked him up - thanks for widening my world :-)

You're quite welcome Smokie... Seether and Shinedown are my favorite groups. If you get a chance and haven't heard it, please listen to "What A Shame" by Shinedown, an awesome song... :D
The Seether lyrics are great, he likes to call people out for a number of reasons. Some groups have quite a lot to say, all we have to do is listen...
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

Rachael J

Post Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:16 am

^^^I like Seether. I really like their version of Careless Whisper! Shinedown is awesome too! Love, love Brent Smiths voice!
#EarnhardtJR88 #MyChaseNation Go JR!!!
#ISupportSmoke
<<

tlmerk

Post Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:31 pm

Can I post a question since I just reopened our coffee drive-thru?

What is your favorite beverage to get at a Starbucks or coffee stand? I apologize if this question has been asked before, it kind of sounds familiar. Thanks!
<<

jdpirate

Post Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:42 pm

tlmerk wrote:Can I post a question since I just reopened our coffee drive-thru?

What is your favorite beverage to get at a Starbucks or coffee stand? I apologize if this question has been asked before, it kind of sounds familiar. Thanks!

Don't drink coffee or tea. Actually there are many times that the smell of coffee makes me very ill--yes, I have gotten very sick by it, Don't know why, sometimes I can abide the smell and then other times not at all
So, if I could get a great cup of Hot Chocolate in these places, that's what I'd go get. Unfortunately, I'm not thrilled with the hot chocolate at Starbucks, Dunkin and wherever.
I'm living my life the way I want to.... Tony Stewart
[]Never Quit...... Marcus Luttrell
<<

smokieonefour

Post Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:16 pm

Wow! Speechless .... what a great song!

a fave song and nicely re-done!! :-)
Last edited by smokieonefour on Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

<<

smokieonefour

Post Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:25 pm

I'd drink a plain, regular coffee. Seems simple right? Try ordering that in a Starbucks. They look at you like you're an idiot.... and you NEED to speak the Starbuck's language. There is no "regular size" - you have to pick one of "those" and call it that. There is no "regular coffee" ( you'd think caffeine or no caffeine ) but oh no .... more language speak, shots, double shots, stuff on the top of the coffee, stuff inside the coffee, stuff inside the glass... and that's just prepping the cup!

Now I have to choose between pineapple flavored coffee or bubble gum flavor? WHAT?
OK, you don't like those, so how about salmon flavored w/a twist of lemon? Huh? WHAT ?!

Need any "pick-me-ups" in that? Huh? What? Doesn't caffeine do that?
Oh sure... but we have expresso shots, caffeine syringes, lab-grade rocket fuel .... WHAT?

So... after about 10 minutes of trying to order a simple, regular coffee ( w/help from sympathetic by-standers ... or did they just want me to hurry the heck up? ? ) and drank it ... I finally was able to get to sleep about 2 days later. NEVER AGAIN ... I'll just make mine at home, thank you. ;-)

p.s. A Folger fan, my whole life - Breakfast blend :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

<<

tlmerk

Post Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:22 pm

Oh no, Maxwell house!! :D

Your writing and wit reminds me that we need a new edition of The Tattler, me thinks.
<<

Rochelle

Post Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:52 pm

Ok, coffee at Starbucks... I get a Venti Vanilla Latte - hot... And yes, here in Phoenix during the summer, they look at you like you're crazy ordering it hot. I just need the hot coffee in the morning, regardless of the heat. I don't stop at Starbucks too often anymore. In the afternoon, if somebody at work makes a Starbucks run, I'll get a Venti Cafe Vanilla Frappuccino... And yes, it's loaded with calories and caffeine and very yummy...

And thanks Smokie, for the Shinedown and Seether videos. That Shinedown song is so awesome. I spend a lot of time on YouTube listening to music. One other I've been listening to a lot is by Pop Evil, Torn To Pieces. That one about rips my heart out like What A Shame does...
<<

awsum14

Post Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:19 am

tlmerk wrote:Oh no, Maxwell house!! :D .

You got my vote...always "Good to the Last Drop"
If at first you don't succeed, don't give up
Try Harder
<<

emtpickle

Post Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:43 pm

No coffee or tea for me either. Never even tried it. I do like the smell though. Water 24/7. Now I am picky about my water. I like all water except nestle and deer park. My sister wouldn't survive without Starbucks. She still lives in Cali and hates to come and visit since I don't have a Starbucks on every corner!
PreviousNext

Return to The Lobby