FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Question of the Day

<<

smokieonefour

Post Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:58 pm

Question of the Day

Hey race fans :-)

I was thinking, we create blogs that ask a specific question... so how about a question blog?

Anyone can ask any question.

If no one asks any questions... I'll try to come on everyday with a new one one.

So today's question is - Who has influenced your life, the most?

For me, I would have to say, against my republican upbringing... but the leaders in the 60's - Martin Luther King Jr, John Kennedy, Bobby Kennedy, Rosa Parks, etc - who spoke & acted about social change for the better. They inspired a generation, including me. :-) I also have been influenced by Abraham Lincoln, since like the 4th or 5th grade.
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:09 pm

Re: Question of the Day

i have 2......one is Pete Townshend of THE WHO, he influenced to become a musician and write poetry, over time i have learned to play 4 instruments. However my biggest influence is a man i call my hero Dr Ziv Haskal, he saved my life when others tried, but more importantly he treated like a person and not just a patient, the people who know me, know the story, i am forever grateful to have known this man
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:12 pm

smokieonefour wrote:Hey race fans :-)

I was thinking, we create blogs that ask a specific question... so how about a question blog?

Anyone can ask any question.

If no one asks any questions... I'll try to come on everyday with a new one one.

So today's question is - Who has influenced your life, the most?

For me, I would have to say, against my republican upbringing... but the leaders in the 60's - Martin Luther King Jr, John Kennedy, Bobby Kennedy, Rosa Parks, etc - who spoke & acted about social change for the better. They inspired a generation, including me. :-) I also have been influenced by Abraham Lincoln, since like the 4th or 5th grade.

those are great people, im a fan of abe lincoln
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:25 pm

Where is this place called "missing"?? I always hear of people GOING there.
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:26 am

i know i asked this question on the old site, cant hurt to ask again....

what is your favorite book?

"Cats in the Cathedral" T.S. Eliot
<<

onerockindoc

Post Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:11 pm

A Woman of Substance by Barbara Taylor Bradford
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

tlmerk

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:35 am

Not sure I understand what you're doing Smokie? Asking an interesting question and we answer and each one on a separate blog?

And for my favorite book.... GREAT question but that may take time to narrow it down MJ. In addition to The Bible which I find very interesting, my favorites have to be the ones I'll never forget from when I was first turned on by reading... like Logan's Run, The Outsiders or The Handmaid's Tale from my younger days. Books nowadays are great, but I usually forget most of their nuances a week after I read them. How about Favorite Authors? I like Dean R. Koontz, Stephen King and... okay, that reminds me of my all-time favorite book.... now I remember.... has to be The STAND! By Mr. King. I think if you can remember who wrote a book... that's a hint that your soul bonded with it. S.E. Hinton, Stephen King, Margaret Atwood. Don't remember who wrote Logan's Run, but I remember you died once you hit 21 years of age as some flowery thing on your palm turned color, and you could go get high on drugs like you would get a soda from the minimart. I love The Game of Thrones too.... that's it... no more talk of books, or I'll write a novel right here. :D
Where there's Smoke, there's fire!
<<

Rachael J

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:08 am

I don't read a lot, but the Bible first & foremost. I really enjoyed Tim Tebow's book "Through My Eyes". A great read. "Elvis and Me" by Priscilla Presley, good biography.
<<

smokieonefour

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:59 pm

tlmerk wrote:Not sure I understand what you're doing Smokie? Asking an interesting question and we answer and each one on a separate blog?

No separate blogs - just one blog for interesting questions ... and once posed, by anybody, can be answered here, by anybody that cares to share. :-)

I started off with one, MJ added one ... see how it works? :-)

My fave book would have to be one of Stephen King's older books ... Eyes of The Dragon, Salem's Lot, Christine ( which is a super dumb movie, but really good, scary story ) or Desperation.

LOVED 'The Outsiders' as a teen! :-) Island of the Blue Dolphin ... Jonathan Livingston Seagull - also come to mind. :-)

As much as I love Stephen King's older work, nobody beats ( in my book anyway... ) John Steinbeck! East of Eden Also loved Jack London books. :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

<<

smokieonefour

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:01 pm

midwesternsmoke wrote:Where is this place called "missing"?? I always hear of people GOING there.

I think it's somewhere around CRAZY .... ;-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

<<

hellya04

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:30 pm

what made you become a die hard cup fan?? For me it was the emotion surrounded by Dale Seniors death. It was incredible so I started following Kevin Harvick and that 3 team. Sure didn't disappoint. Dale Sr bought me in but Harvick kept me here. Im more excited this year than ever. Go Harvick and SHR. Hellya from Canada
<<

mark01

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:16 pm

Interview with a vampire,by Anne Rice and any book by her
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:11 pm

hellya04 wrote:what made you become a die hard cup fan?? For me it was the emotion surrounded by Dale Seniors death. It was incredible so I started following Kevin Harvick and that 3 team. Sure didn't disappoint. Dale Sr bought me in but Harvick kept me here. Im more excited this year than ever. Go Harvick and SHR. Hellya from Canada

i can not pinpoint a moment when i became a fan, been watching all types of racing my whole life, early 80's and on i was a rick mears fan, because penske used to be located here in town, i started off a ken schrader and davey allison fan, then moved on to JJ and Ryan, but the race that got me hooked and watching every week, then going in debt to buy diecast was the 91' daytona 500
<<

tlmerk

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:52 pm

Okay Dokie Smokie! :D I love the idea of Question of the Day... GJ!
Where there's Smoke, there's fire!
<<

smokieonefour

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:45 pm

I became a Cup Fan... as a transplant from Indy cars. My dad was into fast cars, building them, etc, so I kind of grew up with the "fast car" lifestyle. Visited a few dirt races in Fremont ( As did TLMerk - we just did not know each other at the time! LOL ) before I married my ex-hubby who was 100% into Indy car. I went to a bunch of Indy races ... but ultimately, found I did not care for the type of car. One day my ex said "What ? Are you gonna be a NASCAR fan now?" and without thinking, I said "Yes."

Picked Jeff Gordon as my fave driver in '91 or '92 and just got pulled in w/an incredible force! These were the type of "cars" I preferred... closer to childhood, I guess.

Good question. :-)

Which brings me to the next question ... did your mom and / or dad have any special skills, beyond parenting and their normal job?

My dad was CHP but loved to work and build with wood ( made many pieces I still own ) and as I mentioned, we always had a car that was being "created" in the garage. My mom & g-ma's were into "crafts" so that's where I got my love of creating things. :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Next

Return to The Lobby