FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Your favorite Christmas gift received this year

<<

beaverpond

Post Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:05 pm

Your favorite Christmas gift received this year

Sometimes it is not the most expensive gift received. My parents went to SHR when they were in SC at the beginning of December and got me this really neat picture frame with Tony's BPS #14 and beside the 4x6 photo is a digital calendar w/ indoor digital thermometer.

My other favorite gift was spending the day with my brother's family and my parents. There were 13 of us stuffed into his house, but we had a great time.
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:13 pm

Re: Your favorite Christmas gift received this year

mine would be the elvis mug i got........nice large mug .
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:11 pm

With my folks health, the best gift I got was still having my folks around for another holiday to be together.
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

ndunn

Post Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:24 pm

Smoke14Wins wrote:With my folks health, the best gift I got was still having my folks around for another holiday to be together.

Your best gift is precious. Mine is just the oposite as at my age and my husbands we are greatful we are still around to be with our son, daughter and 2 grandsons plus a granddaughter in-law. Our daughter hosts special holidays and she includes my sister and nephew. With the ice storm we had and the loss of power she was lucky and didn't have to deal with it. I'm not sure I'll ever come to grip with what we went through. I DON'T EVER WANT TO BE THAT COLD AGAIN....................
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

beaverpond

Post Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:38 pm

I know what you mean. Some friends of ours, their parents have been without power since Saturday. Their entire family was supposed to spent Christmas at her parents place, but instead they moved everything to our friends house here in town. They are keeping in contact with friends of her parents to see when power is restored as they are not sending them back there in that bitter cold. Our friends were truly caught off guard because they never decorated for Christmas because they were expecting to go to take her family to her parents for Christmas. So when it became clear that it was going to be awhile before power would be restored, they quickly decorated and made arrangements to deal with the fixings for Christmas.

Having been through this situation, I know how bad this is and how rough it can be. It truly is no fun.
Image Image

<<

ndunn

Post Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:10 pm

beaverpond wrote:I know what you mean. Some friends of ours, their parents have been without power since Saturday. Their entire family was supposed to spent Christmas at her parents place, but instead they moved everything to our friends house here in town. They are keeping in contact with friends of her parents to see when power is restored as they are not sending them back there in that bitter cold. Our friends were truly caught off guard because they never decorated for Christmas because they were expecting to go to take her family to her parents for Christmas. So when it became clear that it was going to be awhile before power would be restored, they quickly decorated and made arrangements to deal with the fixings for Christmas.

Having been through this situation, I know how bad this is and how rough it can be. It truly is no fun.

Reading what you and others have had to say about all of the weather we are so blessed with great families and friends to help take our minds off of what we've endured. My next door neighbor lost her husband 11 days ago but even with her grief she called to see if we were okay. Her son has been right here cleaning her driveway and ours plus he cut up the hugh limb from our tree that fell into her driveway. You probably don't know Michigan news but every report they give on our local stations they say the same about Maine so I've kept up with your conditions. They've had video of your state and it has been something else to deal with hasn't it? Perhaps good news is on the way.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

<<

beaverpond

Post Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:13 pm

I just read a news report that stated that some people will not have power before January 1st. So they will be looking at being without power for a minimum of 11 days.
Image Image

<<

Annalee

Post Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:23 am

Oh I am so sorry NDunn and Beav.........I didn't know about the power outages in Michigan. The crews here were waiting for the call ....today I saw the power trucks and crews from here headed North to help out....help is coming!! :)

We have a house generator that powers certain things incase of a power outage...like the heat, lights on the first floor, refrigerator, water heater, washer and dryer....we moved to NC during the worst ice storm from Honolulu.....places were without power for ten days and kids didn't go to school for two weeks. The water pipes burst everywhere.... It was a terrible mess....I swore that when we built our house we had that generator built in...best money we ever spent.....We have only had to use it three times so far, but I love it! My security blanket.....
"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

beaverpond

Post Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:07 am

We have 160 line crews coming from out of state just to our state, but we are limited as to how many we are allowed to receive because if a storm hits back in their home state there has to be an adequate amount of line workers back home to do the job. Like because of what time of the year it is, we are not allowed to take anybody from New England. So all outside help is always at least two days away when these things hit.

I just read this in this mornings paper.

When my Dad built his current house, he made sure to have a place for his generator to be outside and away from the elements at the same time. It runs 5 lights, the well, the septic, the furnace, the fridge, and the chest freezer. He said he did not want to do the oven because well, we are Mainers, we bbq in all seasons and yes that means winter too.
Image Image

<<

tlooney14

Post Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:48 am

new boots :)
TLooney14
...settling for second, you might as well kiss your aunt with a hairy mustache. - Tony Stewart
<<

Annalee

Post Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:30 pm

beaverpond wrote:We have 160 line crews coming from out of state just to our state, but we are limited as to how many we are allowed to receive because if a storm hits back in their home state there has to be an adequate amount of line workers back home to do the job. Like because of what time of the year it is, we are not allowed to take anybody from New England. So all outside help is always at least two days away when these things hit.

I just read this in this mornings paper.

When my Dad built his current house, he made sure to have a place for his generator to be outside and away from the elements at the same time. It runs 5 lights, the well, the septic, the furnace, the fridge, and the chest freezer. He said he did not want to do the oven because well, we are Mainers, we bbq in all seasons and yes that means winter too.

Your dad and I think alike. I remember my dad BBQ during a Nor Easter when we lived in Portsmouth.

.....I talked to the crews, yesterday in a parking lot and they said they are relieving some of the
crews there now and that there is another storm headed your way this weekend...... Stay safe and warm...... reinforcements are on the way.... :D
"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

beaverpond

Post Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:50 pm

Our line workers up here are working 17 hours on and 7 hours off. It is much better than what happened after the Ice Storm of 1998 in which line workers back then were working 24 hours then get 4 hours of rest and then go out for 20 hours get 6 hours of rest and then go out for another 24 hours.

I remember that storm all to clearly. There were more than 700,000 homes and businesses without power after that one. It was that storm that called for a statewide mandate on all in-state and out-of-state line workers to work no more than 17 hours on and 7 hours off...no exceptions and that we cannot take more than 160 line working crews from other states and they must all come from outside of New England. We learned the hard way that taking from our own region only causes more trouble than its worth when hit with another storm and they need their own workers.
Image Image

<<

ndunn

Post Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:35 pm

beaverpond wrote:I just read a news report that stated that some people will not have power before January 1st. So they will be looking at being without power for a minimum of 11 days.

Now that is scary. We still have power outages and most are people who live beyond the cities. They have to do the close things which uses the people doing the work. There is a problem with different cable servers. My next door neighbor has Comcast and doesn't have any service. I'm sure Maine has out of state help like we are having. My husband drove by one of our largest hotels and he said the parking lot was full of utility trucks. They work 16 hour and have 8 off to try and sleep and eat. Most of the traffic lights are back on but there are a few that aren't. It's the 4 stop and I do have to say 99.9% have been perfect. I've only seen one car that didn't stop and do the routine. As far as I know there hasn't been any fender benders.

<<

lilbeaver

Post Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:25 pm

No doubt, this is easy. My Grampy has been very busy in his wood working shop working on my Christmas Gift this year.

I love sketching and painting, but not in water colors. I love using colored pencils and oil based paints. I received a lot of art supplies this Christmas to go with my Christmas gift from my Grampy.

He built me an art easel in his wood working shop. He built it in such a way that it can be adjusted so that I can adjust it so I can use it while sitting on the floor, to lying in bed, to sitting in a chair, or standing up. This is just huge. This is by far my favorite gift. My Mom and Dad have to help me with the adjustments, but it is so cool !!! It will allow me to work on paper that is up to 22x28. It has adjustable clips on three sides. He really thought of everything.

Watch Out Boys, I'm Coming For You
<<

Rachael J

Post Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:07 am

Hugs!!! Money!!! A very pretty bracelet!
#ISupportSmoke
#SmokeHasRisen
Next

Return to The Lobby