FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Drivers Replacements

<<

WJO

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:06 pm

Drivers Replacements

OK it's official Mark Martin for 11 races and Austin Dillon for 1 of the races good picks for the rest of the season I think...... GET WELL SOON SMOKE
<<

HTower

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:43 pm

Re: Drivers Replacements

... according to Jayski
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:14 pm

Re: Drivers Replacements

Tony Stewart to miss rest of 2013 season; Mark Martin to fill in for 12 races

By Bob Pockrass Sporting News

Tony Stewart will miss the remainder of the 2013 season as he recovers from a broken right leg, and Mark Martin will drive his car in all but one of the final 13 races, Stewart’s team announced Monday.

Martin will step into the No. 14 car starting this weekend at Bristol Motor Speedway and will run the remainder of the 2013 campaign except for the Oct. 20 race Talladega Superspeedway, Stewart-Haas Racing announced.

Austin Dillon, who replaced Stewart this past weekend at Michigan, will drive the car at Talladega, a race that Martin doesn’t like running.

Stewart, who broke his right tibia and fibula in a sprint-car racing accident Aug. 5 at Southern Iowa Speedway, is expected to be ready for preseason testing at Daytona in January, according to a SHR news release. The 42-year-old Stewart has undergone two surgeries and has had a metal rod inserted into his leg.

“Obviously, I’m disappointed to be out of the Bass Pro Shops/Mobil 1 Chevy for so long, but the team is in very good hands with Mark Martin and Austin Dillon,” Stewart said in the news release.

“Mark is someone I’ve looked up to my entire career and I have a tremendous amount of respect for him. Austin is a great young talent. … This isn’t a situation anyone wanted, but we’re going to make the best of it. In the meantime, my focus is on getting healthy and getting back.”

Having driven the majority of the races for Michael Waltrip Racing this year, Martin will vacate the seat of the No. 55 car, allowing Brian Vickers to get more time in the car that he will drive full time in 2014 and 2015.

Vickers, who was scheduled for nine starts in the No. 55 this year, will drive in 12 of the 13 remaining events with team co-owner Michael Waltrip driving at Talladega as previously scheduled. Vickers won the July 14 race at New Hampshire.

“Mark’s leadership the past two years has been so impactful that he has left a mark on this company that will be here as long as we race,” said Waltrip, who along with sponsor Aaron’s convinced Martin to join MWR in 2011.

“This opportunity to help two (future) Hall of Famers in Mark and Tony Stewart at the same time, while getting the opportunity to run the rest of the year with Brian makes sense for MWR.”

The 54-year-old Martin, who has 40 career wins, nearly won his last race for MWR before running out of fuel while leading with four laps left Sunday at Michigan.

“I’m proud of the work we’ve done the last two seasons and I’m extremely thankful for the effort everyone on my team and at MWR put behind me,” Martin said in a statement. “I also want to thank Michael Waltrip and (co-owner) Rob Kauffman for giving me this opportunity. They are building a strong organization at MWR and one that’s going to be a force in NASCAR for years to come both on and off the track.”

MWR, Aaron’s and Toyota all had to let Martin out of contracts for him to finish the year out with SHR, a Chevrolet team.

“After consulting with Tony’s doctors and speaking with Tony, we agreed it was best for him to focus on his recovery,” SHR Competition Director Greg Zipadelli said. “For the No. 14 team, our focus is on positioning them for a run at the owner championship. Mark Martin and Austin Dillon give us the best opportunity to do that, and we certainly appreciate Michael Waltrip Racing and Richard Childress Racing for making Mark and Austin available to us.”

The owners standings, which follow the identical Chase system as the drivers, has virtually the same amount of bonus money ($13 million overall) available for the top 10 teams.

The No. 14 team is tied for 13th in the owner standings with, ironically, the MWR No. 56 team, which currently holds the tiebreaker for the final wild-card spot. Points will be reset in three weeks after the race at Richmond.

The MWR No. 55 team is 19th in the owner points, 56 behind the SHR No. 14 team.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14

Return to The Lobby