FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

So long Speed Channel

<<

HiddenHollow

Post Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:11 am

Re: So long Speed Channel

GOOD NEWS!

Fox Sports 1 will launch with major cable, satellite providers showing the network

By Bob Pockrass Sporting News

Fox Sports 1 should launch with few hiccups Saturday as Time Warner Cable, Bright House Networks, DirecTV and Dish all have agreed to show the new network that will replace Speed.

The SportsBusiness Journal reported Wednesday night DirecTV, Time Warner Cable and Bright House will carry the channel even if they have not finalized carriage agreements by Saturday. The Los Angeles Times reported that Dish will do the same.

Speed is in nearly 86 million homes, and Fox Sports 1–anchored by NASCAR, baseball, college sports and UFC –is expected to be in 90 million homes at its launch Saturday as it should be carried by all major cable operators and satellite operators.

According to the SportsBusiness Journal, Speed costs about 23 cents each month per subscriber, and Fox was looking to increase that to 80 cents per month at launch.

NASCAR programming will be some of the first programming the network is scheduled to deliver. Originating from Michigan International Speedway, Fox Sports 1 will air NASCAR Live at 8 a.m. Saturday followed by Sprint Cup Series practice at 8:30 a.m., Camping World Truck Series qualifying at 9:30 a.m., Cup practice at 11 a.m., the truck pre-race show at noon and the race at 12:30 p.m.

On Sunday, NASCAR RaceDay is scheduled for 10 a.m. on Fox Sports 1 and then NASCAR Victory Lane is set for 7 p.m.

MIS President Roger Curtis expressed confidence earlier Wednesday that agreements will be reached.

“We know our friends from Fox are working very closely with the cable providers to make sure the new Fox Sports 1 is available to as many fans as possible,” Curtis said. “And we’re confident they’ll work out all the contracts.”

Fox also is launching Fox Sports 2 this weekend in place of Fuel. Fox Sports 2 will have truck qualifying and modified race Wednesday from Bristol.

The changes also have provided angst for fans in Canada, where Fox Sports 1 has not yet gotten approval. The Speed channel that remains on Canadian television providers will carry the Fox Sports 1 coverage from Michigan.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:14 pm

"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:18 pm

first time i even seen speed channel was qualifying for the brick yard 400 in aug 1995
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

Annalee

Post Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:12 pm

WOO..HOO!!! After talking to about thirteen different people, not only do I get Fox Sports 1, but I get Fox Sports 2.........I knew some how, some way, NC and Time Warner would come through!! No extra cost either.....I am a happy girl!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-). How many get Fox Sports 2 ????....

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:35 pm

I will get FS2 (Fuel) on Verizon FiOS but only in SD format. For some reason Verizon doesn't offer it in HD.

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:33 pm

I liked my Speed TV for NASCAR, that's the only thing I used it for. But bad thing is, I have to rent the Jerold box before I can get higher channels on my old TV & then have to pay for the Speed channel as well.

So Speed is being taken away & now the last week Showtime has been taken off because it cost too much & I have no idea what I'm getting in it's place that they're supposed to supply us with who have subscribed to Showtime.

Though Showtime hasn't had anything good on to watch in over 6 months.
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:37 pm

Oh, & we just got our new month bill & it has informed us that internet & the modem charge will be going up. Between both them items, I calculated the cost, it'll be a $12.08 increase per month starting with next months bill.

It's time to have them either do something about the cost or we're looking into something else. Enough is enough.

Time Warner has raised cable & internet use every 6 month to a year the last few years by $10 & up.
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

Jellikit

Post Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:30 am

HiddenHollow wrote:I will get FS2 (Fuel) on Verizon FiOS but only in SD format. For some reason Verizon doesn't offer it in HD.

FIOS is notorious for that, unfortunately.
As a big Chicago fan, I have to suffer through WGN only being available in SD. WGN?!?
As if suffering as a Cubs fan isn't bad enough. :lol:
<<

ndunn

Post Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:02 pm

I called our provider yesterday and we do get the new Fox 1 and 2. There isn't a charge so far. But then that changes often. We changed providers a year ago and in which we had to pay extra for a sports package but it wasn't that much.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Annalee

Post Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:03 am

I LOVE FOX SPORTS 1......... now if they will just interview Ryan once in awhile....all will be good :) ;)

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:56 am

Don't hold your breath, Annalee. It's basically the same old SPEED crew.

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

ndunn

Post Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:41 am

I thought (not very accurate tho) that perhaps we'd get a few new voices on the change over. Michael and Darrell Waltrips voices make my skin crawl. Also lost respect for Kyle Petty as he said something I thought didn't belonged on a family TV show. Anything R rated is indecent but then what do I expect from FOX.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

<<

dirt93

Post Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:58 am

I'm watching the truck qualifying on FOX now. The news ticker at the bottom has NOTHING of racing on it. Speed had many racing series updates and news. That's a bummer. And I now have to hear about all the other sports (which I don't care about) just to get a tid bit of NASCAR. OH well.... guess it's not a huge surprise.
Here kitty kitty.. come get you some of this!!
<<

ndunn

Post Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:46 pm

Fox sport 1 that is broadcasting Nationwide and has the ticker of places at the top of the screen. I don't know who the ones are broadcasting but they talk wayy too much. They are giving out info I couldn't care less about. The racing is different as it's road racing in Ohio and looks like several driver aren't used to it. The track is nice and perhaps they'll go there again.

<<

Rachael J

Post Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:36 pm

I only get Fox Sports 1 on my cable. What is on Fox sports 2? Am I missing anything important?
PreviousNext

Return to The Lobby