FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Report: Kurt Busch has multiple offers

<<

HiddenHollow

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:49 pm

Report: Kurt Busch has multiple offers

Jeff Gluck, USA TODAY Sports 1:27 p.m. EDT August 19, 2013

Kurt Busch has emerged as the top free agent in NASCAR's suddenly active Silly Season, and there are several options for where he could end up next year.

Busch currently drives for Furniture Row Racing and could probably return if he wants, but there's no guarantee the single-car team's alliance with Richard Childress Racing and Chevrolet will continue next season.

That's opened the door for Busch to be courted by teams such as Earnhardt Ganassi Racing (which has an open seat after it declined to renew Juan Pablo Montoya's contract) and now perhaps Stewart-Haas Racing.

FoxSports.com reported late Sunday night that Busch had an offer from Stewart-Haas to drive what would be a fourth car for the team.

Busch did not immediately respond to a request for comment. He acknowledged in an interview with ESPN.com on Monday that he has multiple offers, but did not speak specifically about SHR.

SHR spokesman Mike Arning released a statement to USA TODAY Sports that reads: "Stewart-Haas Racing constantly strives to improve itself, and expansion is something that is often discussed. If the right opportunity presents itself, it's something the team will certainly consider."

Busch could potentially join an SHR lineup that includes team co-owner and three-time Cup champion Tony Stewart, Danica Patrick and Kevin Harvick, who is moving there in 2014 from RCR.

But it comes as a surprise that SHR is considering expansion; just one month ago, Stewart said at New Hampshire that the team could not afford to expand to a fourth car.

That's why Ryan Newman was being released from the team, Stewart said, to make room for Harvick, who is bringing sponsor Budweiser.

"I truly wish we were able to facilitate four teams at this time," Stewart said July 12. "We are just not able to do that. Down the road I'm sure if that becomes a possibility that (Newman) will most definitely be on the list to fill the fourth seat again."

Instead, that chance could go to Busch.

But SHR is just one of several opportunities for the 2004 Cup champion, who acknowledged talks with Ganassi on Friday. Busch is friends with EGR part-owner Felix Sabates and knows several of the executives.

"It's cool to have talks with Furniture Row about what we can do in 2014 and beyond," Busch said Friday. "The Ganassi thing came up and other phone calls have happened. Nothing's going to change. We're just still really focused on the Chase."

Busch, who finished third at Michigan International Speedway, is ninth in the standings and is vying for his first slot in the 10-race run to the championship since 2011.

Busch left Roush Fenway Racing after the 2005 season for Penske Racing. He spent 2006-11 with that organization, but was excused after a tirade against a pit reporter went viral on YouTube. He landed at James Finch Racing, and spent most of the 2012 season there before moving to Furniture Row for the final six races of the season.

*************************************************************************************************

Considering Tony's comments from July 12 about not being in a position to start a 4th team, I guess this is why it's called the "Silly Season." :?
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

HTower

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:00 pm

Re: Report: Kurt Busch has multiple offers

HiddenHollow wrote:Considering Tony's comments from July 12 about not being in a position to start a 4th team, I guess this is why it's called the "Silly Season." :?

Quoted For Truth

Return to The Lobby