FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Gas Prices

<<

beaverpond

Post Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:28 am

Gas Prices

I remember about a month ago they said that many areas of the country would be below $3.00 per gallon and also would drop at least 25 cents per gallon.

All I could say was ... I will believe it when I see it ... well here we are a month later and at the beginning of the weekend, we had only dropped 15 cents per gallon over the last month. Well here we are at today and since this weekend we have now dropped another 10 cents making it a total of 25 cent drop, but we are nowhere near the $3.00 mark. We are at $3.35 a gallon.

So news agencies were only half right on what they were reporting as to what they said would happen. Even the cheapest place in our state is $3.11 a gallon, so while they may be closing in on that $3.00 per gallon mark, the question is will they make it there.

So what is going on in your state and what has happened over the last month.
<<

TbayFinn

Post Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:12 pm

Re: Gas Prices

Please don't get me started on gas prices.
Come up to Canada and see our prices. You'll puke!

Right now in my home town, it is $1.60 per litre which works out to $6.10 a gallon approx.
With winter approaching quickly, that price will go up!

As least your price has gone down a bit.
I feel sorry for everyone who pulls up to a pump nowadays no matter where you are.

It's like that running joke....."I can't feed myself because I just fueled up."
<<

Searchers

Post Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:44 pm

I find this site handy at times. When I log in it takes me directly to the state where I live. Then the county that I live in.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/
<<

smokieonefour

Post Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:59 pm

I feel the same as TBay... "Don't even get me started on gas prices..." ( LOL )

Tbay ... ok... WOW! ! Why is it so much higher than in the US ?

( I have my own answer / suspicions, etc. - just want to hear your answer - what you think )

I think I'd have to stop driving all together, if gas were that much here. Man, I feel for you guys - that's horrendous!! Do they even, out of courtesy, pull a knife out on ya, as you pay? LOL Maybe a loaded gun, pointed at you, from the counter? "Tug" the money from your hand ... act like one of your kids? ANYTHING? Something like that to make you feel better? LOL

( hand written sign - "Just be glad it's not an arm or a leg ... yet" )

Beaver - you asked - -So what is going on in your state and what has happened over the last month.

Somebody get the cheese to go with this whine ... fire up the ol worlds smallest violin, playing my heart breaks for you...

In California - back a few years ago, we voted for some dumb gas clean air tax crap that is taking affect in a few months or beginning of year ... and that law is going to raise the cost of gas, an additional 25 cents to 50 cents a gallon. This is ON TOP of whatever the current price of gas is.

The 'tax' is supposed to go for this or that ( clean air ) but... is ALREADY targeted by other entities, like the stupid bullet train, coliseums and other un-related 'clean air' things. I wish I had paid more attention to the news story ( and suppose I could always, still research it ) to have better details & facts for ya - but that's the jist of it.

CA voted for a gas tax and the tax is not going for what it was created for.

Yeah ... that sounds about right, for "Cali-fu**-ya"

At this point, with the cost of Cali gas ... I am about ready to start walking... bad leg & all. If ya can't beat 'em... get a bigger stick ... wait, no ... ya might as well join 'em. ;-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

beaverpond

Post Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:51 pm

We have been due for gas tax increases the last few years, but because the legislature and governor have been robbing from that line item to pay other line items...the people have gone to special referendum to vote down the authorization to allow any such increase to go into effect because this money is suppose to go towards highway, bridge, and rail bed repairs and this has not been happening. It has been falling on the shoulders of the local municipalities and their tax payers.

Then when they also did away with each municipalities side of tax sharing...meaning whatever they turn over to the state, they get back a portion of it to help pay for services to the community. It could be highway, police, fire, and or town office. We actually had to increase taxes 71 cents per thousand of valuation, we are now at $14.41 per thousand. I know many places are higher than us, but this is a big jump for an area whose average yearly household income is $32,000 a year.
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:28 pm

Cheapest I've seen here in my neck of the woods is $2.93.
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

awsum14

Post Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:13 pm

In Hopewell, Va it is $2.89 to $2.95
And on the way to work Monday I saw a BP at $2.90

Down here in Virginia Beach it is running between $2.99 to $3.15
If at first you don't succeed, don't give up
Try Harder
<<

Rochelle

Post Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:09 pm

Here in Phoenix, it's 3.19 a gallon. I don't gripe too much since my car gets 40 mpg highway.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

el78

Post Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:17 pm

In central Minnesota it's running between $2.99 and $3.05 a gallon. They just said on the news it could drop another 20 cents by the end of the year. It would be nice, but I wouldn't complain if it stayed where it is now. It's the cheapest it's been in awhile.
<<

beaverpond

Post Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:22 pm

I wanted a truck with a big v8, so I asked for my punishment. Although I can easily go 600 miles or more on a tank of fuel. My truck has a 34 gallon tank.

Yup, I like the ability to switch from 2wd, to AWD, to 4wd...all at the push of a button. Also having the ability to tow 10,500 lbs with this pickup.

My truck is my own worst enemy...or is it me...hhmmm
<<

azk8ster

Post Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:56 pm

Northwest Ohio...running 2.97-3.03. What kills me is how it drops ever-so-slowly, but then they jack it up 30 cents over night :evil:
"Faith is believing in things when common sense tells you not to"
<<

beaverpond

Post Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:45 am

Looking at the crude prices for today and the times in the past they were at this same level was back in Feb 2013 and gas prices were around $3.80 per gallon, then July 2012 and gas prices were around $4.00 per gallon, then June 2011 and gas prices were around $3.50 per gallon, September 2008 and gas prices were around $2.30 per gallon, February 2008 and gas prices were about $3.00 per gallon, November 2007 and gas prices were about $3.20 per gallon.

Now I realize that these gas prices are reflective of the State of Maine, but the crude prices are that of the nation and that is $88.51 as of today and that changes daily.

Strategic Oil Reserve released 5.0 million barrels this year, half in April and half in May. We currently have 691 million barrels in the Reserve. There was also 30 million barrel draw down in 2011 during the Middle East turmoil and another 11 million barrel in 2005 after Hurricane Katrina. When the reserve was started, it was started with 471 million barrels. Congress has voted to bring it up to 700 million barrels by the year 2025, we have been at that level a few times and close to it this year.

Now I know the cost of insurance, the cost of manufacturing, the cost of transportation, and tax increases...all of these have risen causing a rise at the pump. However, what bothers is me is when you look at the fact that crude is the same price now as it was in 2008 and here we are 6 years later, does the above information really add up to a dollar or more per gallon increase?
<<

TbayFinn

Post Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:57 pm

[quote="smokieonefour"]I feel the same as TBay... "Don't even get me started on gas prices..." ( LOL )

Tbay ... ok... WOW! ! Why is it so much higher than in the US ?

( I have my own answer / suspicions, etc. - just want to hear your answer - what you think )

I think I'd have to stop driving all together, if gas were that much here. Man, I feel for you guys - that's horrendous!! Do they even, out of courtesy, pull a knife out on ya, as you pay? LOL Maybe a loaded gun, pointed at you, from the counter? "Tug" the money from your hand ... act like one of your kids? ANYTHING? Something like that to make you feel better? LOL

( hand written sign - "Just be glad it's not an arm or a leg ... yet" )

-------------------------------

You asked why.
Well it's quite simple.
We have the oil sands where they get the raw product from.
But Canada has only 1 refinery and it's not running at full capacity.
So Canada sells the raw product to the US. They refine it and sell it back to us.
But they also add on shipping or the usage of pipeline fees to it.
Finally they have to distribute it around the country.
So depending on where you live, you get a different price.
That is the simplest version I got for you.
<<

wolfgang

Post Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:53 pm

Costs me $4.45 per gal for ethanol free gas and I am sure glad it's only a five gal tank and it gets 48mpg.The only problem is, I don't much care for riding my Harley Davidson once the temp. drops below 50 degrees! :lol: The average in this area for regular is about $3.45 , unless you get gas somewhere where you have no idea where they got it from it's 10 cents cheaper. :shock: My 4x4 I/2 ton pu only gets 18mpg, but I refuse to buy an import! :mrgreen:
WHEN THE GREEN FLAG DROPS, THE B.S. STOPS !
<<

Tinker

Post Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:51 pm

My co-workers and I about fell out of our chairs this afternoon. Gas actually dropped to 2.99 :shock:
Won't last in town though. KU Sparrows Basketball will cause the price to jump real fast...like tomorrow morning...tomorrow night is "Late Night with Bill Self". :roll:
“Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.” ~ John Wayne
Next

Return to The Lobby