FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Preakness Stakes

<<

Rochelle

Post Sat May 18, 2013 12:37 pm

Preakness Stakes

For those of you that like the ponies and have NBC Sports Network, there's the Preakness Stakes Prep on at 2:30 eastern and the Preakness Stakes coverage starts at 4:30 eastern on NBC, after the Red Wings @ Blackhawks game.

I'll have to be flipping channels most of the day to cover the ponies and NASCAR... Seems to be feast or famine lately with what I like to watch...

Have to root for Orb today but there are a couple of others I like too! Good luck to all :mrgreen:
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat May 18, 2013 2:27 pm

Re: Preakness Stakes

i am in no way taking away from anybody's fun, but i havent watched a race since that horse got hurt bout 7 years ago, i dont member the name, but he was here at the university of penn hospital vet center bein treated, and it was a roller coaster ride of emotions, one day he would be near death, then weeks they were optimistic on his recovery, back and fourth for months til they finally........
<<

Rochelle

Post Sat May 18, 2013 4:01 pm

Ahhh, Barbaro, 2006... That truly broke my heart. But I was glad the owners tried to save him. He did so well for quite a while, it was looking pretty good. The bad part is that the laminitis he got in his left leg is very common when horses have leg injuries and are relatively immobile. What was even worse was the abscess he then developed in the right leg he had shattered. When he became too uncomfortable, they put him down. Ruffian was another that broke my heart. She was probably the most gifted filly ever.

Animals have special places in peoples hearts and for me, horses were my first love. They've tried to make racing easier on them by developing the new track surfaces, but I doubt anything could prevent all the injuries. All you have to do is look at their legs, they're so small around the ankles and below the knees to wonder how they don't break down more often.

I understand how you feel mj, but they're bred to run and that's what they love to do. They're like any other athlete though, there's always a chance of injury.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

onerockindoc

Post Sat May 18, 2013 4:47 pm

The injury and ultimately death of Barbaro always comes back to me this time of year. It is an unfortunate part of the sport. I remember watching and waiting for news about this champion.

Looks like I'll be home in time to watch the race today. I so enjoy thoroughbred racing. Quarter horses not so much
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

Rochelle

Post Sat May 18, 2013 5:04 pm

I'm glad you'll be home in time doc... Nothing like seeing it live. The quarter horse races are so short, I don't enjoy them that much either, it's just a flat out race down the stretch. Also, the thoroughbreds just seem so much more elegant. Not sure that's the right word though.

I'm getting antsy for it to start... :D
<<

Jellikit

Post Sat May 18, 2013 5:56 pm

Barbaro was heartbreaking.

Don't ever think these horses don't LOVE to run.

Riding once with a group in Mexico, I mounted (to what I learned about 10 minutes later) the alpha-male of the group who loved to run. During our ride, there were spots where we stopped and gathered. We were told what to expect in the following few minutes, and to be prepared for it. The instructor would look at me, because my horse would move to the front with him, and ask me, "ready?" AND BAM....off and running on one little click of the cheek. If any horse would approach us, the horse would literally do a double-take at them and start running faster, never losing the lead all day. When getting to the end of the run, my horse would turn around and walk back the other way as all the others approached, looking at each one as the arrived and walked past him. I'm not sure if he was making sure they were all there and okay, or maybe rubbing it in on how he won again. ;) :lol:

Horses love to run and maybe even more-so, to win.

Such intelligence and personality .... they love it and will let ya' know.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat May 18, 2013 6:00 pm

Rochelle wrote:I'm glad you'll be home in time doc... Nothing like seeing it live. The quarter horse races are so short, I don't enjoy them that much either, it's just a flat out race down the stretch. Also, the thoroughbreds just seem so much more elegant. Not sure that's the right word though.

I'm getting antsy for it to start... :D

we dont need the "jackman" getting antsy :)
<<

Rochelle

Post Sat May 18, 2013 6:15 pm

How about getting antsy to hench??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

onerockindoc

Post Sat May 18, 2013 6:17 pm

Go ORB.....go
<<

Rochelle

Post Sat May 18, 2013 6:26 pm

Ugh, that was anti-climactic... Why didn't Gary stay retired...
<<

onerockindoc

Post Sat May 18, 2013 6:26 pm

Wow...another great race...Gary Stevens rode the heck out of that horse.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat May 18, 2013 6:29 pm

Rochelle wrote:Ugh, that was anti-climactic... Why didn't Gary stay retired...

a women NEVER spoke those words about me :P
<<

Rochelle

Post Sat May 18, 2013 6:41 pm

michaeljohn wrote:
Rochelle wrote:Ugh, that was anti-climactic... Why didn't Gary stay retired...

a women NEVER spoke those words about me :P

Wow, and modest too :shock: :lol: :lol:
<<

onerockindoc

Post Sat May 18, 2013 7:00 pm

Since I just walked in the door about 15 mins before the race....tell me....does Gene Simmons have some ownership in Oxbow? He was standing directly behind Lukas.....anyone know??
<<

Rochelle

Post Sat May 18, 2013 7:52 pm

Simmons is a partner in the Stronach Group, one of the world's leading horse racetrack operators and suppliers of pari-mutuel wagering technology.

Their tracks are Santa Anita, Pimlico, and Gulfstream Park.. Wow, some of the better known tracks...

Hmmm... Looks kind of fishy for D. Wayne...

He has nothing to do with Oxbow as far as I could tell...
Next

Return to The Lobby