FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Kentucky Derby

<<

Rochelle

Post Sat May 04, 2013 4:42 pm

Kentucky Derby

Is anyone watching the coverage of the Derby? Gotta love the ponies... :mrgreen:

One of my favorite days of the year. By the end of the day, there will be the possibility of a Triple Crown winner this year. And they run in the rain!!!
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

Jellikit

Post Sat May 04, 2013 5:08 pm

Re: Kentucky Derby

Absolutely!
My mom passed away about 5 years ago.
Her and my step-dad used to go to a few different tracks in Chicago a few times a year and we got to go once in a while. (Arlington was always my favorite.)
The Derby, and all 3 races, were always quite a big day in our house.
I still remember Affirmed winning the TC in '78 quite clearly. Good thing, since there hasn't been one since. ;)

Get your bonnets and your mint-juleps ladies, place your bets gentlemen...it's Derby day! :mrgreen:
<<

Rochelle

Post Sat May 04, 2013 5:29 pm

I was raised in So Cal and the company my mom worked for had box seats at Hollywood Park. Back then it was a nice neighborhood... Needless to say I spent very many Saturdays and Sundays there. There's really nothing quite like the sound of the horses coming down the stretch. That sound still gives me goose bumps. If it gives you any type of timeline, I watched Swaps run many times. My mom said he was the color of a brand new copper penny. My aunt worked at Santa Anita for a bit so we went there quite a few times also.

Hope all the horses/jockeys have a safe trip today!
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

smokieonefour

Post Sat May 04, 2013 6:14 pm

I have a lot of relatives that go - they have horses & are 'horse people."

Being raised w/the talk & all... sadly, all I really like is the ladies clothes and most of all.... THE HATS ! ! ! :-D :-D

Go here > http://www.kentucky.com/2013/05/01/2622266/no-matter-the-julep-variation.html - for TRUE Kentucky Mint Julep recipes.... and of course... ENJOY them! :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

onerockindoc

Post Sat May 04, 2013 6:15 pm

I love Derby Day as well. Post time is not too far away and I'm stuck at work. Oh well, it's overtime.

Lots of great story lines this year as usual. TV coverage usually does a good job covering all the drama of the race.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Bob Marley
<<

Rochelle

Post Sat May 04, 2013 6:48 pm

Sorry you're missing this doc...

You gotta love Shug, he finally get's his Derby win! You have to admire a man who won't bring a horse to the Derby if he doesn't honestly think he can win. I bet that poor horse has an extra 10 pounds of mud on him. Now we have our hope for a Triple Crown, Orb! I have to admit I was kind of rooting for Verrazano, but I love Shug. It couldn't go to a more deserving trainer and a Kentuckian to boot! And congrats to the Phipps folks!

Most excellent race!
<<

Jellikit

Post Sat May 04, 2013 7:03 pm

Rochelle wrote:Sorry you're missing this doc...

You gotta love Shug, he finally get's his Derby win! You have to admire a man who won't bring a horse to the Derby if he doesn't honestly think he can win. I bet that poor horse has an extra 10 pounds of mud on him. Now we have our hope for a Triple Crown, Orb! I have to admit I was kind of rooting for Verrazano, but I love Shug. It couldn't go to a more deserving trainer and a Kentuckian to boot! And congrats to the Phipps folks!

Most excellent race!

Yep...very pleased to see Shug win today. What a great race by Rosario to sit all the way back and just let the race come to him. Very sweet.
<<

onerockindoc

Post Sat May 04, 2013 8:08 pm

Just watched the replay. A thriller as usual. I tweeted earlier.....you can never go wrong with a trainer named Shug....wow. I called that one right.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Bob Marley

Return to The Lobby