FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

HAPPY EASTER!!!!

<<

thorman52

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:17 am

Re: HAPPY EASTER!!!!

They actually have three. The Top of The World hotel is, from what I read, the better of the three with 50 rooms. At $210 a night it's a bargain. Has Arctic Ocean view rooms that need to be asked for in advance. The ocean is right across the street. The reviews are mixed with one saying it's dirty and another giving it all 5.0 ratings. I put in for a room from April to October and it kept coming back "no availability." Must be a popular place. Also states that there is very little to do in Barrow. (Can you imagine that?) Arts and crafts, bingo, a few local history sites. Seems like a long ways to go to play bingo. I would try the whale meat and other local cuisine. It still would be interesting.
Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.”
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:34 am

Maybe we should only plan on a week then (if there is not much to see/do) and bring our own tents & sleeping bags. ;) Or, we could spend the 2nd week in a different part of Alaska. :D

Maybe we could spend the 2nd week in Deadhorse near Prudhoe Bay.

They have a hotel :arrow: http://www.prudhoebayhotel.com/

We might even get to meet some of the ice road truckers :arrow: http://www.history.com/shows/ice-road-truckers
Last edited by HiddenHollow on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

*****Countdown to the 2015 Daytona 500*****
<<

smokieonefour

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:45 pm

thorman52 wrote:[color=#40FFFF][i]Population 88??? What? No way. This ain't no hick town. According to the 2010 census Barrow is a whopping 4,212 living and breathing souls. Don't count the Huskies.

The signs say Welcome to Barrow - the 2nd one says Ciciley has 88 peeps...
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:02 pm

smokieonefour wrote:
thorman52 wrote:[color=#40FFFF][i]Population 88??? What? No way. This ain't no hick town. According to the 2010 census Barrow is a whopping 4,212 living and breathing souls. Don't count the Huskies.

The signs say Welcome to Barrow - the 2nd one says Ciciley has 88 peeps...

That pic was taken a little outside Fairbanks at an old gold dredge tourist attraction. The signs just seemed to be randomly placed there as we weren't near Barrow. "Cicely" is a fictional town created in the TV series Northern Exposure. The show ran from 1990-995 which fits with the timeframe when I took the pic - 1993.

:arrow: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Exposure

To give you an idea that the signs are a spoof, the last 2, which are hard to read in that smaller, resized pic, say:

You are standing at the
NORTH POLE
A Frozen Ozone Freon Free Zone

and

YOU ARE ENTERING PRUDHOE BAY
AMERICAS LARGEST OILFIELD
YIELD TO CARIBOU

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

<<

thorman52

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:01 pm

HH - The pics on the Prudhoe Bay Hotel site were great. Love to see the wildlife and the Northern lights. Did you notice the NANA Oilfield Services? Maybe related to NASCAR NANA OK?

Those truckers are crazy some of them. Not a job for me and I know they're paid very well.

It was -11 F when I was looking at the website probably not bad for this time of year. Yeah we just outta roam the state that Sarah Palin made famous.
scuze me...cough, choke.
Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.”
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

Annalee

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:24 pm

What no "Four Seasons" .???......... No where to shop!! This place must be the end of the world :lol: :lol: ....are you sure maybe just overnite and then back to Juneau, Fairbanks, Sitka ......I know there is shopping, restaurants and sights to see amongst civilization. Now if we could get in on the filming of " Gold Rush"..... That would be fun!

"Fight for Four".......................me
I # Support Smoke
<<

thorman52

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:58 pm

Not to worry Annalee, we will have all these fine establishments to shop:

Prudhoe Bay General Store The North Slope's Mini Mall
I hear there's a hot sale on mukluks. B1G1...

Brooks Range Supply - Napa Auto Parts and True Value Hardware

Nana Oilfield Services Chevron ( 24 hr. credit card fuel), RV services

North Slope Borough ( Service Area 10 ) Hotel

Peak Light Duty Car & light duty truck, mechanical & tire

Conam Ford Authorized Warranty car & light duty mechanical & tire

Arctic Caribou Inn Hotel and Restaurant.

Now, now, now what more can you ask for? It's like the Miracle Mile in Chicago, Rodeo Drive in Hollywood, South Beach. Well kinda.
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:31 pm

Wow! What a great selection, huh, Annalee! :D Bet you can hardly wait.

<<

thorman52

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:50 pm

Hey all, I looked into it and the B1G1 Sale at the Prudhoe Bay General Store is "if you buy the right mukluk, you get the left mukluk free."

What a deal!!
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:53 am

thorman52 wrote:Hey all, I looked into it and the B1G1 Sale at the Prudhoe Bay General Store is "if you buy the right mukluk, you get the left mukluk free."

What a deal!!

BOGO! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How can you turn that down.

<<

Annalee

Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:31 am

HiddenHollow wrote:
thorman52 wrote:Hey all, I looked into it and the B1G1 Sale at the Prudhoe Bay General Store is "if you buy the right mukluk, you get the left mukluk free."

What a deal!!

BOGO! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How can you turn that down.

SALE!!!! Bags packed......Got to love a bargain! My kind of vacation......now what am I going to do with a set of mukluks.....eBay! Things are looking up! 8-) :lol: 425 pts

"Fight for Four".......................me
I # Support Smoke
<<

smokieonefour

Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:57 pm

HiddenHollow wrote:
That pic was taken a little outside Fairbanks at an old gold dredge tourist attraction. The signs just seemed to be randomly placed there as we weren't near Barrow. "Cicely" is a fictional town created in the TV series Northern Exposure. The show ran from 1990-995 which fits with the time frame when I took the pic - 1993.

You know... when I looked at the Cicely sign, my 1st thought was the show Northern Exposure ... but I wasn't 100% sure, so decided not to comment. ;-)

Loved that show - so original at the time and kooky-great. :-) It did get a little long-in-the-tooth towards the end... but the beginning seasons were so great! :-) My fav charactor was Marilyn. ;-)

My humble opinion - TV show "Portlandia" is trying to copy the same formula... and failing.
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
Previous

Return to The Lobby