FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

THE FIRST DRIVER I EVER MET

<<

futura64

Post Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:36 am

THE FIRST DRIVER I EVER MET

I hope some of you may find this interesting. Some may have heard of him. Most probably not.

It was the mid 1950's. We lived in a small house in a suburban neighborhood in Austin. I was about 6 years old. There came a knock at our door one Saturday afternoon. My dad answered it. I followed. It was our next-door neighbor and another man with him. They talked and my dad followed them outside. I tagged along.

They went to the curb at the neighbor's house. Parked there was a RACE CAR. Wow, I thought. There was something wrong. They lifted the hood and all gathered around it. The motor wasn't running properly. My dad who was a professional mechanic got tools from the garage and began working on the motor. He soon had it runnning smoothly for them.

As it turned out, the man I didn't know was the neighbor's younger brother. He was going to race the car at a nearby track. That night my dad took me and we watched him race. He won the races in that car.

He would return from time to time to visit his brother, so I became acquainted with him. As I reflect upon him now, I can best describe him as being one of those very likeable, larger-than-life, John Wayne type characters you meet very few of in a life time. He would go on to become quite a popular and famous driver in his time. His name was Jud Larson. Tragically, Jud would die in a sprint car crash in 1966.

Here are a couple of clips of his racing back in his day.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQdTW3f5N8s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMaqz6hW2Ho
BudmaninTx
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:43 am

Re: THE FIRST DRIVER I EVER MET

8-) 8-) ....That's pretty cool.... 8-) 8-)

I've had the privilege of spending the majority of the Coca Cola 600 in '09, '10, and '11 with the 1960 NASCAR Grand National Champion, Rex White..... Wonderful man, humble, HUMOROUS and just an all around joy to spend a few hours with. He had a pretty impressive career by most folks standards. He told me he WOULD'VE won the Championship in '61 too BUUUUT, he recommended Ned Jarrett to B.G Holloway......That's who he finished 2nd to that year..... :shock: 8-) :D
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

ndunn

Post Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: THE FIRST DRIVER I EVER MET

Thanks for the posting of the thread and the links. Now there were names I remember. I didn't remember A.J. Foyt was so handsome. The Eldora track track looked very good for so long ago. So glad Tony owns it and maintains it to perfection.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.

Return to The Lobby