Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:15 am

Chipper Jones

This is the last regular season homestand for my baseball idol, Larry Wayne Jones Jr., better known as Chipper. He's an Atlanta Braves institution, has spent his entire 19-year big league career wearing the tomahawk on his chest and the waving A on his cap. He's meant so much to the state of Georgia and the South - Braves Country knows no borders, though - and I say it only half jokingly that anyone who owns stock in tissue companies might be able to retire here soon themselves.

Tonight the Braves got this six-game stretch started off right, Freddie Freeman hit a walkoff two-run homer (with Chipper at third after a leadoff double and a wild pitch). The win clinched at least a wild card berth for the Braves, which means there will probably be at least one more home game for Chipper, the Wild Card "play-in" game on October 5 between Atlanta and the other wild card team. The Braves have a big lead in the wild card and they're firing on all cylinders (unlike last year when they were collapsing) so they should at the very least hold on to that No. 1 wild card and host the game at Turner Field. They're only four games behind the Nationals with eight games total left, though, so it's still possible for them to win the NL East.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.