FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Days of Thunder director Tony Scott killed himself

<<

Smokeshow14

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:54 am

Days of Thunder director Tony Scott killed himself

LOS ANGELES -- Tony Scott, director of blockbusters Top Gun and Days of Thunder, jumped to his death Sunday from the Vincent Thomas Bridge, authorities said.

According to the Associated Press, Scott, 68, climbed a fence on the bridge and jumped around 12:30 p.m. One report quoted a coroner's report that said Scott jumped "without hesitation."

U.S. Coast Guard Lt. Jennifer Osburn told the Daily Breeze that a suicide note was found inside Scott's black Toyota Prius, which was parked on one of the eastbound lanes of the bridge.

Authorities used sonar equipment to find Scott's body in the port's murky waters. Divers recovered his body about 4:30pm.

Scott was director of Tom Cruise's Top Gun, as well as Beverly Hills Cop II and the remake of The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3.

Known for his trademark red baseball cap, the British-born Scott was the brother of director Ridley Scott, and the two shared producing credits on the CBS dramas The Good Wife and NUMB3RS.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... DHDE6MsH5M

So sad. I am shocked that he would commit suicide. I enjoyed some of his films like Days of Thunder, Enemy of the state, and Unstoppable. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. RIP.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:58 am

Re: Days of Thunder director Tony Scott killed himself

i guess for its time "days" is a good movie but he went on to make classic movies with one of the best Denzel Washington, My favorite is Crimson Tide, and after that Taking of Pelham 123
<<

HTower

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:33 am

Screw him for checking out and leaving behind 2 children. You don't get to do that when you have kids. Live for them and don't be a selfish ####
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:26 pm

I didn't like Top Gun. But that is probably his most famous film. True Romance is his best though (casting an unknown Brad Pitt to play a stoner was genius).

I don't condone suicide. And it is hard to feel sorry for someone as successful as him who took his life away. But sadly it was his choice. I do wish he had sought out help. He must have been in a dark place to have jumped off a bridge.
Last edited by Smokeshow14 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Dan Wheldon
<<

Annalee

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:03 pm

They just said that he left notes saying that he had terminal brain tumor......prayers for his wife and twin sons.
Image"Fight for Four".......................me
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:19 pm

my 1st thoughts were, he must have found out about a terminal illness.
ImageImageImage
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:51 pm

Another movie of his I forgot to mention I liked was Taking Lives.

I read somewhere that old people in retirement homes with terminal illnesses commit suicide a lot so it all makes sense. Still makes me mad at him for the sake of his family. Instead of letting them spend his last days on earth with him, he decided to spare himself the pain of his illness and jump off a bridge. I don't know, I don't want to offend anyone. But suicide is the easy way out. There is a saying. Dying is easy. Living is hard.
RIP Dan Wheldon
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:53 pm

have you ever delt with someone who had any form of terminal cancer??? its easy to sit here and judge a man for taking the easy way out, but i lost family members and friends to cancer, and near the end, they become a brittle shell of themselves, cant move in constant pain, and in many cases cant talk, so call the man selfish until you know the pain he was in.
i had a good friend die in 07, the last year was horrible and intense, while he still had strength, one day he went to the hardware store, out of no where, he passes out behind his truck and falls to the ground, as a person is leaving their parking spot, they ran over him, they didnt even see him, luckly he was still alive, but is that any normal life? is that a life you want someone you love to live, just so you can be greedy and have them around for a couple more days??? it will be up to god to decide if what he did was wrong, god is a passionate god and if you truly regret what you did, he will forgive, im not a fan of suicide but i can see how it happens, some people are lonely, others dont wanna live in pain, or be a burden to their family, until we walk in people shoes, none of us can judge or call someone a coward or any other name.
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:16 pm

It is true we don't know what it is like to be in that other person's shoes. Suicide is so psychologically complex and it is a dark thing that until you have been really close to doing it, you won't understand. I can somewhat understand why he would commit suicide being he had this horrible disease. But I can't help but feel bad for his family that he left behind. I have known people who have had cancer. And yeah it was a horrible experience for them. IIt will easier to say more things when more facts come out.

I personally like the guy. I enjoyed his movies. He was a good director. His brother Ridley Scott was obviously more popular (Alien, Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, American Gangster, Prometheus) and received more praise. But this guy was good at what he did. Creating these cool popcorn flicks. He had an interesting way of directing that I always liked. His last film unstoppable is a #### of a last film to have with Denzel Washington and Chris Pine. Days of Thunder is so bad, that it was a a good movie. He made a racing film that has stuck moreso than many except for Talladega Nights. He integrated some real racing into it too working with Rick Hendrick and the late Bobby Hamilton. He did things his way. And he did it well. Just kind of shocking.
RIP Dan Wheldon
<<

HTower

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:14 am

michaeljohn wrote:have you ever delt with someone who had any form of terminal cancer???

Yes. And she fought all the way to the end. Never gave up. And I cherish every moment we had together, right through the end. I won't give that up, or deny anyone else those moments when my time eventually does come.
<<

TonyTina14

Post Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:58 pm

michaeljohn wrote:i guess for its time "days" is a good movie but he went on to make classic movies with one of the best Denzel Washington, My favorite is Crimson Tide, and after that Taking of Pelham 123

YES MJ both of those movies are awesome!!! and most of the movies
Denzel washington does are very good!! this is very sad that he took
his life like this wish he could have got some help before thinking this
was the only way God Bless his Family RIP SCOTT.
p.s just got done watching John Q on tv....lol how weard is that.
<<

TonyTina14

Post Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:04 pm

Smokeshow14 wrote:It is true we don't know what it is like to be in that other person's shoes. Suicide is so psychologically complex and it is a dark thing that until you have been really close to doing it, you won't understand. I can somewhat understand why he would commit suicide being he had this horrible disease. But I can't help but feel bad for his family that he left behind. I have known people who have had cancer. And yeah it was a horrible experience for them. IIt will easier to say more things when more facts come out.

I personally like the guy. I enjoyed his movies. He was a good director. His brother Ridley Scott was obviously more popular (Alien, Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, American Gangster, Prometheus) and received more praise. But this guy was good at what he did. Creating these cool popcorn flicks. He had an interesting way of directing that I always liked. His last film unstoppable is a #### of a last film to have with Denzel Washington and Chris Pine. Days of Thunder is so bad, that it was a a good movie. He made a racing film that has stuck moreso than many except for Talladega Nights. He integrated some real racing into it too working with Rick Hendrick and the late Bobby Hamilton. He did things his way. And he did it well. Just kind of shocking.

Out of all the racing movies made Days of Thunder is the best!! but as for
the cancer his family is saying on news that its not true they dont know
where that got started but that he did not have cancer. but something
was very wrong for him to take his life like that.

Return to The Lobby