FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Remember When...

<<

beaverpond

Post Fri May 11, 2012 10:19 pm

Re: Remember When...

You know when I started this thread, it was not meant to be about politics...it was supposed to be about the old days verses what things are like now. Just look at my original post and that of ndunn at 20:43 today. There are other comments that are similar and those are the ones I am talking about. This is direction I really wanted it to go. So, going forward if we could drop the political theme, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.
<<

Rochelle

Post Fri May 11, 2012 11:29 pm

Oh, a timing light and feeler gauges! Those were the days... My Mom bought a 65 Mustang, brand new and I got to cruise the Strand at the beaches in Southern California with it when I was in high school. The first car I bought out of high school was a 67 Mustang with a stock 390 engine in it. Good thing my hands were small cause otherwise you would have to lift the engine out of it to change the plugs. That car was such a lemon but I loved it. I rebuilt the carb among many other things. Back to the lemon thing, it used to blow off vacuum lines (how does a car do that?). I learned how to grind valves because of it. Spent many weekends in the shop with my boyfriend (a mechanic working in a GM dealership) fixing that car. Finally stopped when we figured out that it needed a hose clamp on it. Really, on a vacuum line? But still, I loved that car. Wasn't anything on it that I couldn't replace. I finally traded it in when the tranny went. I was working at a Datsun dealership at the time, so guess what I bought? And yes, I said Datsun, the name they were called before they were Nissan. I truly hate the computers on cars these days. Now I'm lucky to find the oil filler tube...
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

beaverpond

Post Sat May 12, 2012 5:22 am

It was July 3, 1985 at 3:00pm in downtown Kennebunk, ME. I was taking my drivers test in my father's Mercury Grand Marquis Station Wagon. You remember those, they had the 5 liter v-8 and were about the size of a boat. Try parallel parking that thing on Main Street at an intersection behind a pickup with its tailgate down without your tailend hanging out in the wind. Keep in mind that Main Street is Route 1 and the reports at the time were more than 5000 cars an hour on that stretch of road. Most of them north bound and I had to cross from the south bound side to the north bound side off a side street during the road test. I hated this guy telling me which turns to make.

This was back in the day when State Troopers gave the driving exams and if you could get their approval, you were doing good and I had just turned 17 at the time. When I was done, the trooper said to me "not bad kid, almost nobody passes with me on their first time".

I just set the bar and pretty high at that. My sister passed on her first try, but had it a little easier because she got to drive a 1986 Chevy Monte Carlo...gee just a little smaller. My brother failed on his first try using a 1991 Chevy Lumina...felt sorry for him...NOT !!!! I actually razzed him over it.
<<

jamo14

Post Sat May 12, 2012 9:41 am

Remember when you went to the Drug Store for a milkshake?
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

jamo14

Post Sat May 12, 2012 9:42 am

Remember full service at a gas station?
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat May 12, 2012 9:46 am

my fav thing to remember was going rollerskating every friday and sat nite.
I miss you Frehley........
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Sat May 12, 2012 9:53 am

When I was in 2nd grade, they kept saying soon you'll have to learn computers & have to own one for school & that we'd probably have to own one in high school.

Well that never happened, but my kids do have to have one since middle school.

What about 8 track tapes. My folks use to have a van that had one of them.
Now cassetts.

Whats next, the CD's.......... & all recorded music is put on flash drives for vehicles because it's a smaller space?
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Sat May 12, 2012 9:55 am

Oooh, Chum Gum.........Ummmmmm. A little store in Angola, Indiana use to sell it. Then 2 years after I found it there, they were just about out of the gum & was selling it 20 cents per stick.
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Sat May 12, 2012 10:31 am

The 1st school I attended was a wooden structure, the last wooden schoolhouse in service in Hartford, CT. I only went there a couple of years and was then transfered. The wood structure was demolished as it was considered a fire hazard.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

*****Countdown to the 2015 Daytona 500*****
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat May 12, 2012 10:34 am

i dont know how it is for some of you but since HH brought up his 1st school, i can go years without thinking about my early school days, but as soon as i see the 1st school i went to, it all comes rushing back, the smell of the wooden chairs, crayons, etc...
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Sat May 12, 2012 10:38 am

... the kid sitting next to me getting sick in class & puking all over the place. :? :(
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat May 12, 2012 10:42 am

i think there was one in every class, it was a state law.... unfortunately the person i sat next to always made dirty in his pants... ick....
<<

ndunn

Post Sat May 12, 2012 10:44 am

Beaver this was a very fun thread. I think every once in awhile we should get those "ole" memories out and enjoy them. This is who we are whether we like it or not. Other peoples posts reminded me of some things and that is what brings on a smile. As for being a kid today I wouldn't enjoy it in the least. I met so many people over the years and I've always considered that a gift. There never was a person I couldn't talk to. People skills are lacking today and it's a shame because people don't know what they are missing. Also just to be fair there never was a person I couldn't listen to. I've probably learned as much from those I didn't care for as the ones I could talk to for hours. I believe the technical things that have come along has taken away from the human part of us. See people texting on cells while they drive or walk thru a Mall. They miss so much. I have a cell phone but only use it for only emergency use. I'm not on my computer much except for the Garage and e-Bay. Since we don't know each other I have imagined what everyone might look like. Oh yes your all fabulous looking :D
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

beaverpond

Post Sat May 12, 2012 10:53 am

1st grade and the girl who could not hold her liquids and yes, I still remember her name. Why, I am not sure.
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Sat May 12, 2012 10:57 am

beaverpond wrote:1st grade and the girl who could not hold her liquids and yes, I still remember her name. Why, I am not sure.

Maybe you have a secret fetish. ;) :lol: :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to The Lobby