FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Remember When...

<<

HiddenHollow

Post Sat May 12, 2012 11:49 am

Re: Remember When...

Saturday morning TV on a horrible black & white TV with an odd shaped oval picture tube getting it's over-the-air signal through an antenna on the roof, or worse yet, indoor "rabbit ears."

Watching programs like:

"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

smokieonefour

Post Sat May 12, 2012 1:06 pm

Well.... since everyone else is chipping in....

Personally... I found the 2nd line and last two lines to be, out right offensive.

Kinda ruined the whole thing for me... politics fight or not....
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

Rochelle

Post Sat May 12, 2012 4:54 pm

michaeljohn wrote:i think there was one in every class, it was a state law.... unfortunately the person i sat next to always made dirty in his pants... ick....

OMG, that is soooo gross! I'm glad that wasn't a state law in Cali
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

NascarNanaOK

Post Sat May 12, 2012 5:25 pm

...waiting for dark to catch "fireflies" and put them in a Mason jar.

I was the most popular girl in the neighborhood with the boys (who normally didn't like girls) because I could shuffle cards and be their "dealer" for their poker games.
14 to win in '14

He has Risen!

Nascar Nana OK
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Sat May 12, 2012 11:40 pm

I was a 90s kid. I remember my first day of kindergarden. My mom packed me lunch, got me a cool Dale Earnhardt bookbag. But I had no idea that I was going to school. She took me to the school and left. I was like WTF. Then I realized how awesome kindegarden was. I was the class clown all the way from kindergarden to my senior year in high school. I would say 2+2 was Dale Earnhardt. And that 4+4 was Dale Earnhardt Jr. I had my first kiss in kindergarden too. It was on the bus on Valentines day. During elementary school I would either go to a friends house after school, or rush home and watch my favorite cartoons. I watched everything from Disney, Nick, and Cartoon Network. But I was a Disney kid. My favorite shows were Garfield and friends, Ducktales, Talespin, Bonkers, and Batman the animated series. Then on weekends it was all racing. I'd watch my hero Dale Earnhardt in cup and I was also a fan of Jeremy Mayfield, Mark Martin and Ricky Craven. I'd watch the IRL too which is where I notice a young driver by the name of Tony Stewart. I remember when Pokemon came on UPN20. I instantly feel in love with it. I started trading cards and dueling. I even had a pokieball. It was so great. Until one day during the first grade my teacher caught me with them and took them. Said I had to earn them back. I earned a few back. But she killed my interest. I wasn't a popular kid in elementary school by no means and some kids would make fun of me. But to get myself a good rep, I'd be the class clown and then everybody loved me I would always watch movies too. Animated and live action. My first R rated film that I watched was "A time to kill". This is perhaps is why I love acting.
Last edited by Smokeshow14 on Sun May 13, 2012 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sun May 13, 2012 4:44 pm

before cable everyone used antennas, and there were maybe 7 channels, depending where ya lived, maybe even 10, now ya have 300 channels and 90% of it is garbage.
<<

beaverpond

Post Sun May 13, 2012 5:01 pm

You had 7, boy were you lucky...we only had 3 and that depended on the time of the year because most of the year we only had 2.

I have an aunt who only gets 1 and can't afford cable or satallite. She also does not have a computer thinking she is to old to learn it, while all her brothers and sisters use them (some older and some younger). They are all in their 70s and 80s.
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sun May 13, 2012 5:23 pm

i tried to get my mother to learn using a computer, i bought her one about 10 years ago, i told her she could play solitaire on it ( she loves that game), it lasted maybe 2 weeks, as far as cable goes, its all a scam nowadays, its a shame your aunt only gets one channel...
growing up, we lived 50 miles from philly and 130 from Ny so we picked up those stations, hence why we rocked the 7 stations hahaha
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Sun May 13, 2012 5:35 pm

We had a phone (when I was a kid), but it wan't our own, it was part of a party line. So annoying to need to make a phone call when someone on your party line was just jabbering about nothing because they were bored & you'd have to ask them to get off because you had an important phone call to make. Sometimes the people would be rude & not get off. That's when you start dialing the phone when you have it picked up or just listen in until they got mad asking you to leave & you tell them not until they hang up. After enough of that rude person, we finally got our own line. Was extra money to spend to have it, but we managed.
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

Annalee

Post Sun May 13, 2012 5:40 pm

Smokeshow14 wrote:I was a 90s kid. I remember my first day of kindergarden. My mom packed me lunch, got me a cool Dale Earnhardt bookbag. But I had no idea that I was going to school. She took me to the school and left. I was like WTF. Then I realized how awesome kindegarden was. I was the class clown all the way from kindergarden to my senior year in high school. I would say 2+2 was Dale Earnhardt. And that 4+4 was Dale Earnhardt Jr. I had my first kiss in kindergarden too. It was on the bus on Valentines day. During elementary school I would either go to a friends house after school, or rush home and watch my favorite cartoons. I watched everything from Disney, Nick, and Cartoon Network. But I was a Disney kid. My favorite shows were Garfield and friends, Ducktales, Talespin, Bonkers, and Batman the animated series. Then on weekends it was all racing. I'd watch my hero Dale Earnhardt in cup and I was also a fan of Jeremy Mayfield, Mark Martin and Ricky Craven. I'd watch the IRL too which is where I notice a young driver by the name of Tony Stewart. I remember when Pokemon came on UPN20. I instantly feel in love with it. I started trading cards and dueling. I even had a pokieball. It was so great. Until one day during the first grade my teacher caught me with them and took them. Said I had to earn them back. I earned a few back. But she killed my interest. I wasn't a popular kid in elementary school by no means and
some kids would make fun of me. But to get myself a good rep, I'd be the class clown and then
everybody loved me I would always watch movies too. Animated and live action. My first R rated
film that I watched was "A time to kill". This is perhaps is why I love acting.

Loved your story, thanks for sharing.

I lived in Japan in the first and second grades and all we had was Armed forces radio. They had Japanese TV , but only in their language and no cartoons. It is amazing how creative you can get, and how much trouble you can get into when left to use your own imagination. :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Annalee on Sun May 13, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image"Fight for Four".......................me
<<

beaverpond

Post Sun May 13, 2012 5:41 pm

Where we lived everybody in the neighborhood was on a party line except for us and the people across the street as my father's job had him on call for 24 hours and the guy across the street was also on call 24 hours a day and he worked for the phone company.
Image Image

<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu May 17, 2012 9:12 pm

lived in the city growing up, one thing ya dont see much of any more are neighbors and their kids sitting out playing talking to other neighbors, it was a different time..
<<

beaverpond

Post Thu May 17, 2012 9:34 pm

We are like that with one of our neighbors and are already planning a two family vacation where camping in tents next year at a campground that I am very familiar with.

We didn't want to go alone, they didn't want to go alone and this particular campground has private bathrooms on some sites. It also has a stove and sink with fireplace as well as a canopy over the picnic table with a light. We are going to get two of these sites next year as this year they are all booked up for the summer already. The last of those sites were booked up at the beginning of this month.

This will be one wild camping trip with 7 kids and 4 adults. Thanks goodness it is a family camping resort with activities galore. They have activities almost every 1/2 hour to every hour of the day starting at 6:00am going to 9:00pm
Image Image

<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri May 18, 2012 5:04 am

that sounds like a blast, we use to do that all the time as kids, our aunts uncles and their families would go on camping trips, day trips, it was a good time..
Previous

Return to The Lobby