FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Rumors-SHR interested in Carl Edwards

<<

wolfgang

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:18 pm

Rumors-SHR interested in Carl Edwards

PUKE!
WHEN THE GREEN FLAG DROPS, THE B.S. STOPS !
<<

ndunn

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:56 pm

Re: Rumors-SHR interested in Carl Edwards

Has silly season started just two races in?
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:33 pm

Where's that rumor posted?

Updated: February 10, 2011, 5:09 PM ETNever too early to start Silly Season.

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Here we are again in the big tent outside Daytona International Speedway for yet another preseason media day. All the questions that can be asked have been two or three times over the past three weeks. Drivers are tired of answering them and reporters are tired of thinking of different ways to disguise them.

Do you know how many ways there are to ask Jimmie Johnson if he can win a sixth straight Sprint Cup championship? Or what Dale Earnhardt Jr. remembers about the death of his father 10 years ago in Turn 4 only a few hundred yards from where we are located?

Heck, even Joey Logano was asked about Earnhardt's death and Logano was only 10 when it happened.

I did mix it up and ask Mark Martin why GoDaddy.com used Joan Rivers in its Super Bowl commercial instead of him. From his answer, it sounds as though he wasn't buying that was Rivers' real body, either.

So let's try something different.

Let's look ahead to next year and imagine what Carl Edwards might look like in a Red Bull Racing or Penske Racing uniform. Or what Clint Bowyer might look like in a Penske Racing Dodge or Roush Fenway Racing Ford instead of a Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet.

Let's start Silly Season early.

As many as nine high-profile drivers will become free agents after this season, which means there'll be almost as much to chase off the track as on it.

Chances are -- like last year when Kevin Harvick, Kurt Busch and Jamie McMurray re-upped with their existing teams -- there won't be a lot of movement. Drivers are starting to realize the grass isn't necessarily greener on the other side.

And with the economy still down, there's not a lot of money for teams to get in a bidding war as there was a few years ago when Dale Jr. and Kyle Busch were free agents.

There's also not a lot of money for teams to throw at their own drivers, which translated means drivers will take cuts from what they got the last time around.

[+] EnlargeTodd Warshaw/Getty Images/NASCAR
Greg Biffle says he is close to a deal to remain at Roush Fenway Racing with 3M as a sponsor.

"A significant amount," said Greg Biffle, who expects to re-sign with Roush Fenway Racing over the next few months.

But since we have all the prospective free agents under one tent, it's raining outside and we have nothing else to ask, let's take a hypothetical look at where drivers might be a year from now.

Carl Edwards: Easily the top of the free-agent class from a competitive and marketing standpoint. Sponsors love his Hollywood smile and body-builder abs and owners love seeing his backflip after victories.

Edwards could fit the Red Bull image if Kasey Kahne makes the No. 4 championship caliber before moving to Hendrick Motorsports in 2012. Penske Racing and Joe Gibbs Racing could be looking to expand, and a driver of Edwards' talent with sponsor appeal would make it an easy sell.
(this is talking about Kahne at SHR, not Edwards)

Edwards was loyal to Roush Fenway Racing, as we saw three years ago when he re-upped. He doesn't sound as committed now.

"What I want to do is what is going to give me the best chance to win the most championships," he said.

If Edwards bolts it could start a domino effect that could take Silly Season from routine to, well, silly.

Clint Bowyer: Team owner Richard Childress has two free agents in Bowyer and Jeff Burton, and you can bet re-signing Bowyer will be a priority because of his age and potential.

If this were the NFL, Bowyer would wait to see what Edwards does before making a commitment. If Edwards stays at Roush Fenway, Bowyer's stock takes a big surge as the second-best talent available.

But what if Edwards leaves? Maybe Roush would offer Bowyer the opportunity to be his young star instead of the driver-most-likely behind Kevin Harvick at RCR.

Or maybe Bowyer would like to give Red Bull a try. He certainly enjoyed having a beverage as a sponsor with Jack Daniel's.

Danica Patrick: She might not make many lists, but from the ability to bring sponsorship she is No. 1. Whoever gets the IndyCar darling driving a part-time Nationwide Series schedule for the second straight season likely gets GoDaddy.com as the sponsor.

Who wouldn't be interested? New Richard Petty Motorsports financier Andrew Murstein said during last month's media tour that Patrick would be an excellent fit for his organization in 2012.

He also tossed out Bowyer.

Hate to tell him, but fat chance.

If Patrick goes to any team that doesn't have a Hendrick Motorsports engine, shock waves would go through the garage. That likely means turning JR Motorsports into a Cup team or Patrick signs with Stewart-Haas Racing.

((I sure hope she stays out of the SHR stable!)

[+] EnlargeAP Photo/John Raoux
Clint Bowyer could be a very hot commodity on the open market.

Here's a hint.

"I think it's a darn good connection," Patrick said of HMS. "As things unfold throughout the year and opportunities come along, I listen … myself and the rest of the team will listen to everyone.

"But definitely at this point there is obviously a good relationship with GoDaddy and JR Motorsports and Dale Jr. Being associated with JR Motorsports is quite a positive thing."

Earnhardt says the pieces are in place for JRM to move to Cup if a deal with Patrick and GoDaddy.com were to be offered as an option. He sounds excited about the possibilities.

"That's definitely something, if we're given that opportunity to consider it, we'll definitely consider that," Earnhardt said. "She's a lot of fun to be around and she brings a new energy to our company. I enjoyed last year a lot. I enjoy looking forward to working with her this year and seeing how much more she learns.

"If we can keep working with her it would be great. If we are given the right opportunity with the right deal, we would have to consider it."

Greg Biffle: No drama here. Biffle says he expects to have a new deal with Roush Fenway and sponsor 3M over the next month or so. He doesn't have the urge to look around as he did in 2008, and besides that, "Where would I go?"

Juan Pablo Montoya: Can you picture him driving for anybody other than Chip Ganassi? Probably not. The two are tighter than husband and wife. Montoya concedes they've already begun talks at Earnhardt Ganassi Racing about an extension, so it's not looking like we'll see the Target driver pushing another product next year.

Brian Vickers: Red Bull already has to find a driver to replace Kahne after this season. General manager Jay Frye doesn't want or need the headache of trying to find two new drivers, so something will get worked out here.

But just for the sake of speculation, what if after this season Red Bull were to fold its NASCAR operation and simply become a full-time sponsor for Kahne at HMS? Wouldn't that be silly?

Jeff Burton: With Harvick and Bowyer, Childress needs somebody a little more laid-back like Burton to keep things settled. But let's say Burton leaves. How about returning to Roush Fenway, where he left midway through the 2004 season because of a lack of sponsorship?

Even if Edwards and Biffle re-sign, there could be an opening with David Ragan in the No. 6 on not-so-solid ground.

Ryan Newman: First of all, Newman doesn't know when his current deal is up.

"Honestly," he said.

Honestly, Tony Stewart needs to keep Newman around so he can say he's the slimmest driver at Stewart-Haas Racing. No need to think Newman will go somewhere else, but he's had trouble attracting sponsorship for the No. 39 car and we know how that drives the sport.

And don't forget Patrick is out there.

Mark Martin: We know two things for sure: Kahne will replace Martin in the No. 5 at HMS in 2012 and Martin plans to continue driving next year.

So where?

The dream scenario would put him back in the No. 6 he drove at Roush for 19 years before splitting following the 2006 season. It could be the storybook ending to Martin's career, but don't count on it.

Roush, as it was put to me, wants you to walk to work barefoot in the snow. Martin just wants to have fun at this point in his career and he doesn't like the cold.

Perhaps Martin could trade places with Kahne at Red Bull. He doesn't quite fit the company demographics of being edgy, but he doesn't with GoDaddy.com either.

Likely Martin will end up somewhere like Turner Motorsports, with whom he is running a few Nationwide Series races this season. Nobody would be better to help that organization move into Cup.

"You know, I'm not even going to talk about it," Martin said of next year. "If I do, then you're liable to say I was wishy-washy about something. I'm not talking about 2012 until I have something to talk about. I'm not worried about it."

Well, that's no way to spice up media day. So let's return to the earlier question. Why didn't GoDaddy.com put Martin in the Super Bowl commercial instead of Joan Rivers?

"Joan looked a lot more natural with what they had … below her head," said Martin, referring to the female body in the commercial that didn't belong to Rivers. "If they had put my head on that … "

Let's not get that silly.
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

beaverpond

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:35 pm

This does not surprise me...let the silly season begin!!!!

Something tells me that it won't happen though.
<<

tlmerk

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:12 am

Whew! I was thinking the worst. I can't see Tony ever bringing Edwards to SHR. I think there has to be some kind of respect and some kind of chemistry. I don't see that with Edwards. I could be biased because Edwards is one driver I am not fond of (the only thing worse than whiners and blamers are the ones that aren't even honest about it! The ones who claim to be the all-American, true-blue "good guys" who promote God, Country and Fair-play and then screw everyone else on the track and talk out of the side of their mouths). Tony and Ryan and both honest, tell-it-like-it-is drivers, personally and professionally (most of the time as Tony has been known to cave to NASCAR politics occasionallly). I can't see them ever welcoming a driver like Edwards. No way! (Gosh, I hope I'm right! LOL)
Where there's Smoke, there's fire!
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:57 am

not a fan, but he does win, and that is what is important...
I miss you Frehley........
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:33 am

where ever Edwards goes he will make that organzation better. Like him or not.

Now I pray SHR doesnt bring in Patrick. That will retard the growth of the other two teams as they try & help Patrick. Please no Danica.
ImageImageImage
<<

tlmerk

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:12 am

Oh Gosh, no Danica or Carl PLEEEEZE!

I know Edwards is a successful driver. He deserves to be where he is and I don't begrudge him that or his fans. I should not have been so nasty in talking about him but he is one driver I just can't stand, kind of like those people who can't stand Brad K., yet I like the guy. Guess we all have our favorites. I will try to resist the urge to post on an Edwards post as I am certainly biased where he is concerned.

Sorry Wolf...want to be nonjudgmental but a driver like Edwards just makes me wince when I hear his voice! :lol: But it's kind of fun to root against a driver too, come to think of it. Can't like all the drivers out there, that would be BOOORING! :P
Where there's Smoke, there's fire!
<<

daniluvs14

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:21 am

speaking of red bull.. i was on twitter yesterday during the race and one of my tweeps posted a tweet when vickers wrecked out.. here is what it said..

somewhere scott speed is laughing his #### off.. i added..and jumping up and down giddy with excitement.
a few seconds later scott speed tweeted.. you #### right i was happy... too funny!!!!
IT FEELS LIKE I HAVE BEEN DRIVING IN CIRCLES ALL DAY

TONY...BRISTOL 2009
<<

Smoke_14

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:02 am

First off I'll start with the guys who basically have a deal done, in Biffle and Burton. Both will stay at thier respective teams. On to the potential free agents.

I see Edwards signing back with Roush. Carl could literally go anywhere with an opening, but at Roush, Carl is not only top dog at a Championship winning team, but also is the #1 driver for Ford. And trust me, Ford puts some cash into this deal.

Clint is the next guy on the list, and even if Carl does bolt from Roush, Childress would NEVER let Clint walk. Clint would be #2 at RCR, but that still puts him as a legit championship contender. Clint also has an alliance with ECR engines for his dirt track team, with his shop being on the RCR complext in Welcome as well. I think Clint is happy at RCR and knows that he is getting some of the best equipment in the garage.

JPM is next on my list, and I would be suprised if he leaves Ganassi, though he is a great wheelman, and could improve any other team. I think the Ganassi equipment isn't really up to par with JPM's talent, but I still see him driving the 42 for years to come. Really, I wouldn't mind seeing JPM at SHR, but I doubt this would happen.

Vickers is next on my list. Brian Vickers is a serious talent, and would be a legit Chase contender in better equipment. I think he enjoys his role at Red Bull, like JPM at Ganassi, and can't see him leaving to be honest.

Ryan Newman will stay at SHR. I really don't think he wants to leave, and really nowhere else he could go with better equipment.

Now onto the two wildcars.

Mark Martin is the biggest wildcard in this mix. He stated he will be driving full-time next year, and I doubt he will be willing to take too big of a step down to do it. Not many teams out there that are up to his caliber that could take Mark in, so it will be interesting to see where he lands. Gibbs is a posibility, if they expand to 4 cars, but I just don't see that happeneing.

Danica is another wildcard, and really she could be anywhere from running Indy, to Nationwide, to Cup. I think her best move is to run Nationwide full-time. This splitting of open-wheel to stock cars wouldn't work for anyone. All of her contracts are up after this year, and I could see her re-signing with JR Motorsports for a full-time Nationwide deal.

I'll go out on a limb and say that Danica re-ups with JR Motorsports for Nationwide, but Mark Martin signs with JR Motorsports to run their Cup program. It could work, and would be a win-win for everyone involed.

That sums up my 2011 Silly Season predictions.
Leave the Ears On the Dog
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:04 am

I wonder if he might not go after Clint Bowyer. They're really good friends and lately I see more photos of those two standing together chit chatting than anybody else with Tony, even Newman.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:13 am

id take brian vickers any day over scott speed, he is a waste of space
I miss you Frehley........
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:37 am

michaeljohn wrote:id take brian vickers any day over scott speed, he is a waste of space

Not necessarily true. He and Jamie McMurray could host a program on the Style Network.

Say it with me, y'all. FABULOUS!
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

ndunn

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:17 pm

This is an interesting thread regarding "silly season". I think it is way to early to see who would do what. But just to get involved I'd have to take a look at Edwards future. His background started with Carl and his mother pushing business cards hoping someone would take notice. Guess who finally did take notice? Roush did and I just can't see Edwards leaving this early in his career. Now it just depends how much loyalty he has and how great he thinks he is. I have never really followed this career as he never really acted like he cared much about anything but himself. The back flipping has gotten old and isn't cute anymore. One thing I wonder about is Kasey Khane going to Hendricks. I just can't see him on the bottom of the totum pole with Gordon, Johnson, and Earnhardt. Does Rick have that much love to pass around? He also has the Bill Elliott's son to prep for stardom. It gets commplicated doesn't it?[color=#00FFFF]
Last edited by ndunn on Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

longtimetonyfan

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:30 pm

Geez, at least let us get the season started good before everyone starts the talk of everyone "jumping ship".
Now by the middle of the season it should get really interesting, but I'm not going to believe anything until I see it in writing. Way too many rumors hit the airways before anything is set in permanent ink!
remember to enjoy life.....none of us are going to get out alive anyway
Next

Return to The Lobby