FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

hoarders

<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:52 pm

hoarders

i guess this show has been on for awhile, but i seen an episode of it today, totally freaked me out!!!
<<

MtnArch

Post Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:37 pm

Re: hoarders

The horror of this is that it's TRUE. My wife, her brother and her sister inherited quite a few rental homes after their parents passed away. One of the renters had lived there for over 20 years, but after her husband passed away she drank herself to death. My brother-in-law went to the house to take possession of it and found that the renters were hoarders and that every room was filled from floor to ceiling with stuff - and rodent poop, and mold, and ... (you get the picture). After 8 truckloads by "1-800-Got-Junk" we could see all of the damage, and after $50,000 to fix and replace doors, windows, flooring, kitchen cabinets and appliances, etc. they were able to re-rent it out.
Alan
"MtnArch"
<<

beaverpond

Post Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:01 pm

I have seen a few places like this and our town has a disorderly house ordinance so if anybody knows of a house like this, it gives the police, code enforcement, or public health officer the right to enter a house for an inspection. However, if it is to be unfounded the complainant is fined for filing a false report. This covers inside and outside a house and outside a house. This basically has to do with whatever would effect the property value of the neighbors.
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:32 pm

This one has been in our local news for quite some time.

:arrow: http://www.wfla.com/story/26606510/clea ... k-property
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

smokieonefour

Post Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:56 pm

My story has a little bit of a twist - not the horrific scenes from stories, papers and TV shows... but the more subtle effect and that, paired with aging itself.

My mom was born in 1933 - the heart of the Depression ... 10 yrs old, WW2 and ration cards, etc.
As long as I can remember... my mom has been saying "The Russians are coming! The Russians are coming!" - they were sup'd to take over, money would be worthless and no food available... therefore, stock pile food. That was the 70's. ( Think Red Dawn, before the movie... LOL )

In the 80's, the "stock pile" turned into "The Hump." The hump was meant to sustain thru tough financial times, and in good times, you stocked up for the bad times. Many people thru out the years were impressed with the idea of The Hump and created their own too. In the 90's, The Hump went on.

I lived with my mom for 8 years and this happened, right under neath my nose. Stuff was getting dusty. Stuff wasn't getting "revolved" ... or even used ... just MORE new stuff, piled up on top. Since I "pulled off the top" - everything was pretty new ... and it "looked" like a well stocked pantry.

Then, when we split and I was left to go thru and get rid of the stuff ... OMG! !!! Some stuff had exp dates in the 80's and 90's! ( This was 2011 ) Cans had burst open in the back and in the back of the pantry - the front looked fine - no visible mess or smell. Noodles w/bugs! Bugs in rice & flour products! GROSS! ! ! Definitely, a "food hoarder." This was a very shocking experience, cleaning it out.

To this day, I do not "stock up" on anything! LOL If I need it, I'll go buy it. Forget about the The Hump! LOL
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

azk8ster

Post Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:15 am

Oh c'mon, Smokie, surely it wouldn't hurt to stock up on toilet paper ;-)

My mom's a child of the depression, also, and now that i'm back living under her roof since she won't come to mine, it's been very challenging convincing her that yes, boxed and canned food does expire. Our compromise is as long as we're not over a year past the expiration date, we use it. And thankfully, she's finally seeing reason about NOT refilling the basement freezer (maybe the 10 year-old slab of ribs in there was her wake-up call!).
"Faith is believing in things when common sense tells you not to"
<<

beaverpond

Post Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:43 am

a lot of towns in our state have come up with disorderly house ordinances because the state has given so many rights to tenants over landlords which bans landlords from entering their own property without proper notice and then there is still a loophole that tenants can get around which still allows them to keep landlords out. So many towns have created these ordinances to help keep their properties cleaned up inside and out.

So now tenants, if they are found with a disorderly house, they have 4 business days to clean up before another inspection. If ample progress is made, but not enough then another 4 business days is given. If after this inspection it does not meet the cleanliness factor of health and safety, then they are given a 14 day to evict the premises by the town. Mind you of the four years it has been on the books, it has only been used twice...once a couple of months ago and once two years ago. Nothing escapes the press around here. It even encompasses tenants who cause a public nuisance with noise or those that are creating a safety hazard to the building like a drug lab.

Now if the home is privately owned, this one is more challenging but can be dealt with. It involves the courts though as well as the banks, it helps if they are behind in their property taxes by more than two quarters. This one is handled more in the way of fines and liens. The town will also get the town employees and roll off dumpsters to help clean up the property if the property owner will not do it and a dollar value will be attached to their property taxes for the clean up.

There are some properties that have permits for junk yards, but the permits for such are strict. One of which is that it cannot be seen from the road and must have a fence high enough to prevent people from getting in or out of said property. It must also have a lockable gate.
Image Image

<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:58 am

we have the same laws down here as it pertains to people who rent,

this episode i seen was where this lady had a 3br house, she had two kids and they all slept on the couch because the house was filled, she would go to work and then just come home and lay on the couch,
i get freaked out if i have 3 boxes on top of each other in the basement...
<<

beaverpond

Post Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:36 am

My parents keep a very neat home with two bedrooms. Only 750 square feet of inside living space. Yup, small. That is how they wanted it or as my father puts it, my way of keeping unwanted company out. Now that their grandson has moved in from SC to help them out around the house and he has also found a job as a Chef at a College Prep School for Boys. For the last 10 years or so, they only saw him once a year. So my father and mother are glad to have him. He spends a lot of time hiking and other outdoor adventures when he is not working. When he is working, he puts in a lot of hours. Anyway, between the grandson and the two bedrooms, there is no room for company which is just how my father likes it. As he put it to me recently, there is a perfectly good hotel on the other side of the pond with room service and maid service. Everybody can stay there.
Image Image

<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:55 am

thats actually funny, parents always put a great spin on situations
<<

BlackFlag

Post Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:38 pm

I've never watched it, but I've unfortunately caught a few minutes here and there in passing.

Seems like they are always finding one or two (or more) mummified cats under piles of junk.
My least favorite band in the history of music is called: Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.
<<

beaverpond

Post Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:59 pm

You see the episodes with the 40, 50, or even the 60 cats and animal control comes in and takes all but one or two. I think every town has one or two like that, but few like to admit it. No town likes to see their name in the paper or on the television news for that because they allowed it to happen and did nothing to stop it. Especially if it had been going on for awhile.
Image Image

<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:01 pm

ya they found a couple rats like that yesterday, i really felt bad for the kid, they were interviewing him and he kept crying how he got made fun of at school about the house, he must have been 12 and he blamed himself for the letting the house look the way it did... so sad.

they also showed a woman who had 37 birds and never cleaned up after them <shm>
<<

smokieonefour

Post Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:13 pm

The episodes on the show, which has been running for more than a few years are shocking, disturbing and heart breaking. It's a real affliction for some that affects everyone around them.

To see people ( for example:) fight to keep a newspaper, covered in cat urine & feces, because "they might read it or need it later" is just heart breaking, for their mental health. I'm glad at least, for every horror story is mental health help for the people, offered & paid for by the show.
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

beaverpond

Post Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:24 pm

I do not envy family that have to go in and deal with this after they are gone because their relatives would not allow them to clean up earlier in life.

I know of one family that has been passing stuff down from one generation to the next for almost 200 years and nobody wants to throw anything away or donate it or sell it. Sad really.

The few living relatives left want nothing to do with it and the ones that will be stuck with it are just going to roll up a series of dumpsters and clean things up and sell everything off to the highest bidder. They know the house won't get much, but the land should collect a pretty penny to a developer as there is enough to subdivide if somebody wants to.
Image Image

Next

Return to The Lobby