FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

WTH????

<<

peanut1439

Post Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:06 am

Re: WTH????

I know some of you don't like Glenn Beck, BUT, he said something a couple of months ago that I started doing. He said to start stocking up on food for the bad times.
Every week, I buy staples. I have a food storage closet now. Things like sugar, flour, coffee, rice, beans, pasta,yeast, canned stuff like tomato sauce, etc etc etc.Canned meat, powered eggs, powered milk & stuff to make sweets too.
I now have a pretty good store of food (non-perishable) to last a couple of months. Food prices are going up & we live on a fixed income. Regardless of whether things go sky high, we will not suffer too much as of now. I plan on doing this until the economy improves and we can hopefully get back to normal. I also stored some oil, t paper. P Towels lots of non food items too. Things are going up here & our family has to be prepaired for bad times if they come.
It hasn't been too much of a inconvienance to do this because we do it a little at a time. I don't know if anything real,bad will happen in the near future, but I have to tell you that when I look on those shelves, I feel a little safer.
I'm not usually a scairdy cat, but most of the things I have stored have already gone up in price. If nothing else, I feel like I have some bargains that will free my mind of worry.
Just a little something to think about . It can't hurt to be ready.
Pray this doesn't happen & we all have prosperity in the future.
Those who intentionally live off another’s labor will always want more free stuff!
<<

jamo14

Post Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:36 am

January/ February are traditionally the cheapest months of the year for fuel.
so...........................
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

beaverpond

Post Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:14 am

Not for us. Whether you rely on oil or K-1 to heat your home or diesel or gasoline to run your vehicle...Jan - March is typically the most expensive months for fuel for us. Those are the most turbulant months to get tankers into the tank farms to unload and the most dangerous to do so...you can only do so during high tide and you can not do this during a storm, like the one we are having today and tomorrow. This will cause prices to spike the longer it takes to get tankers in. A few weeks ago we were having storms every three days and getting tankers in during that time period was getting more and more difficult and fuel prices really started to spike around here. We saw them go from $2.99 to $3.39 in one weekend and then back down to $3.09 after things calmed some...and that is for gasoline. Heating oil is at $3.45 per gallon where we live right now.
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
<<

smokin 14

Post Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:23 am

My f-350 is sitting in the driveway and will be for awhile.
It's only rock and roll but I like it.
<<

tonysgal

Post Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:36 am

its time for tg to roll out her motorcycle. i can live with ten bucks to fill it up as opposed to 60 or 70 to fill up my truck.

come on spring

tg
the nice things about race cars is some days they're awesome and some days you can't find your ####- Donny Schatz
<<

beaverpond

Post Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:37 am

Truck like that could get a lot of use up here...just strap a snowplow to it and put a sander on the back and think of the money to be made. That is what a lot of people do with trucks like that around here...they turn them into money making machines.
Image Image

<<

jamo14

Post Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:43 am

Our house was fuel oil heated up until last year.
we switched out our 44 yr old furnace for a propane fueled furnace.

as far as heating heating your home with K-1, that's insane!
K-! is expensive here, can't imagine what the price is up there.

If we ever get our matching heat pump, then the only time our propane would be used is when the temps are so low, that it causes the furnace to labor too hard. Otherwise, our heat would be mainly electric, with propane as a back-up.

well worth the money, plus the tax credit for updating the furnace, plus I'm glad I don't have to smell the fuel oil burning.

<<

beaverpond

Post Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:08 pm

I'm not sure what k-1 is selling for as we do not burn it. We have heating oil and my parents have propane. Our furnace is only 4 years old and we can't smell a thing and my parents have a 7 year old propane year old furnace with a 550 gallon tank. They say that their last delivery per gallon was about the same as ours. That is when propane is not any less expensive than oil, but it does burn cleaner and they also have a gas powered wood stove in the living room...it is great if they lose power, they still have heat. They also have a generator that feeds the fridge, the well, the septic pump, the tv, and a few lights.
Image Image

<<

gr8rcfan

Post Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:44 pm

jamo14 wrote:and only 5% of our oil comes from OPEC

but markets are based and reacted upon future possible events

Most of our oil may come from other sources, but OPEC feeds other major countries. When their oil supply is disrupted, they have to lean on our sources, and the price goes up, worldwide. The world market for oil just rose 17%, from $85 to $100 last week. That may not raise the price in your gas station's tanks, but it raises the cost they must pay to refill thier tanks. Many who were paying just over $3/gal last week are paying $3.25/gal today. Count your blessings you're not yet paying the full 17% or you'd see $3.51 :o
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:36 pm

$3.51 is not that far away for all of us, IMO. I think parts of Calif. are already there.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

jsw14

Post Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:46 pm

IMO, we've already seen $4gal gas before. I think there after Blood this time! maybe ur goin to see $4.75 to $5.50 or more! Sorry for the Bad news folks... :(
BS & Brilliance only come with Age & Experience!!
Image "Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012
Image "STAND UP FOR TONY & SHR"
<<

jamo14

Post Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:50 pm

yeah, we're headin there and then some.
Spring is around the corner, and that's when the prices springboard up.
and it doesn't stop until the new year.
sure we have a few dips here and there, but generally the 1st 3 months of the year are the lowest prices of the year.
can't wait to see the spring break prices, the memorial day prices, the july 4th prices, etc.
hope I'm wrong, but don't think fuel will be any cheaper than this the rest of the year.

think I may cough up the money for that heat pump, so I'm not refilling the propane tank as much next winter.

<<

jsw14

Post Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:54 pm

jamo14 wrote:yeah, we're headin there and then some.
sure we have a few dips here and there, but generally the 1st 3 months of the year are the lowest prices of the year.
can't wait to see the spring break prices, the memorial day prices, the july 4th prices, etc.
hope I'm wrong, but don't think fuel will be any cheaper than this the rest of the year.

think I may cough up the money for that heat pump, so I'm not refilling the propane tank as much next winter.

Good idea Bro... ya got me thinkin about that now!!!!
Wait a min, I'm goin to sell my house & move to FL!!!!!! :D :D :D
Last edited by jsw14 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

jamo14

Post Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:01 pm

jsw14 wrote:
jamo14 wrote:yeah, we're headin there and then some.

Good idea Bro... ya got me thinkin about that now!!!!

we bought a furnace that is compatible with a heat pump, knowing we'd do it someday, when we had extra money for it.
should be a breeze when we get it.
when it gets unbearably cold, the propane takes over.
when it's like this, the heat is solely electric.
plus we have a variable speed furnace, which also helps control the propane usage.

<<

jsw14

Post Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:06 pm

Cool, but we are in Catch 22... we have our house up for sale!!! we can save money when we move to FL.... but if we don't!?!? Sheeeesh.... :?
PreviousNext

Return to The Lobby