Whatever goes... remember, this is a family forum
Post a reply

Hay Gang, Ya got to see this!! Look>>>

Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:01 am

Take a look at this.We have two new (babys) Great Horned Owl's born in our tree in the front yard! We were told they come back every year to lay there eggs here in our tree. We have been watchin them through the winter month's here in The Villages, FL. Two cute little baby's poped their heads up out of the nest 4 days ago. My wife named-um "Hoot & Annie" :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-) Here are some pic's!!!!
Image

Image

Re: Hay Gang, Ya got to see this!! Look>>>

Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:20 pm

Now how coooool is THAT?!?! Thanks for sharing. Love pics like this. Keep us posted!

Re: Hay Gang, Ya got to see this!! Look>>>

Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:26 pm

Too cute! Thanks for the pictures! Keep them coming. They usually don't nest close to alot of people or noise, they must think your tree is a safe place. :D

Re: Hay Gang, Ya got to see this!! Look>>>

Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:29 pm

That is cool and they must feel secure to be there.

Re: Hay Gang, Ya got to see this!! Look>>>

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:00 pm

The nest is about 30ft high in the tree. Hoot & Annie will be just fine in their nest.
Here's Daddy Owl wayyyyyy-up in the tree watchin the nest 8-)
Image

Re: Hay Gang, Ya got to see this!! Look>>>

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:42 pm

That's cool!! After they leave the nest, you need to install a wireless, remote controlled webcam so you can watch them up close next year. :D

Like they do for the Eagles in Iowa: http://www.ustream.tv/channel-popup/decorah-eagles

Re: Hay Gang, Ya got to see this!! Look>>>

Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:33 pm

that is really cool, kids thought it was neat too
thanks j!

Re: Hay Gang, Ya got to see this!! Look>>>

Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:00 pm

HiddenHollow wrote:That's cool!! After they leave the nest, you need to install a wireless, remote controlled webcam so you can watch them up close next year. :D

Like they do for the Eagles in Iowa: http://www.ustream.tv/channel-popup/decorah-eagles

Hmmm, good idea H, do ya think I could buy that webcam with PC $$$$? Or maybe I'll give Obama a call & ask for a Owl webcam grant :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

Re: Hay Gang, Ya got to see this!! Look>>>

Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:12 pm

I wonder if CDBG (Community Development Block Grant) money would work for something like this? There are also some Enviromental Trust Funds through your town that might be available. If not, check with your county government for the same type of funds. The Audubon Society sometimes gets involved with things like this as well because they sometimes have webcams set up.

Just some ideas.

Re: Hay Gang, Ya got to see this!! Look>>>

Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:05 pm

jsw14 wrote:Hmmm, good idea H, do ya think I could buy that webcam with PC $$$$? Or maybe I'll give Obama a call & ask for a Owl webcam grant :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

In answer to your 2 questions - NO and NO. ;) :lol:

Although Beaver's reply has some good possibilities. :) :) You might want to check them out. We may be watching your front yard tree on ustream next year.

Re: Hay Gang, Ya got to see this!! Look>>>

Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:10 pm

So Cool there j. Love Owls. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Hay Gang, Ya got to see this!! Look>>>

Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:30 pm

beaverpond wrote:I wonder if CDBG (Community Development Block Grant) money would work for something like this? There are also some Enviromental Trust Funds through your town that might be available. If not, check with your county government for the same type of funds. The Audubon Society sometimes gets involved with things like this as well because they sometimes have webcams set up.

Just some ideas.

Yes H, I'm goin to check it out & Beave, Thx for the info. The Villages are proud of their wildlife. I will call them tomorrow & let ya know what they say! :D

Re: Hay Gang, Ya got to see this!! Look>>>

Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:44 pm

Remember tomorrow is President's Day and is considered a Federal Holiday which means many municipalities, banks, post offices across the United States will be closed on Monday.

Also a lot of this type of funding is controlled by your local Board of Selectman or City Council. You may have to go through the Town Manager and be added to the agenda of your next Select Board or City Council Meeting.

Before going to these people, do your research and find out what funds are available in your area before approaching whoever you approach. Whoever thought my knowledge and experience in local politics would come in handy on this site.

Re: Hay Gang, Ya got to see this!! Look>>>

Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:10 pm

I hope you don't have alot of cats in the neighborhood. My uncle used to have a family of owls in his barn every year and they came back every year. He also put out some raw chicken for the mama owl so she wouldn't have to leave the nest for very long or go very far. Just a suggestion :D Take good care of Hoot and Annie, especially Annie :D :D

Re: Hay Gang, Ya got to see this!! Look>>>

Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:09 pm

You might want to contact the Raptor Resource Project. They are the ones who set up the Eagle cam.

:arrow: http://www.raptorresource.org/

They may have some suggestions.
Post a reply