FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Questions, Opinions and Discussions page

<<

thorman52

User avatar

Posts: 791

Images: 6
9876

Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:23 am

Location: Mishawaka, Indiana

Post Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:20 pm

Questions, Opinions and Discussions page

In concert with the Lobby blog (Whatever goes), I've started this thread because of the disruption I've caused on the "Question of the Day" thread. I asked a simple question, one that required a little thought, one that I was interested in, and some demonized me for asking it. All I ask of anyone responding to a topic presented is to respect the opinion of the poster, whether you agree with it or not. Opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one. Who wants to go first? I will if no one wants to after a reasonable lapse of time.
Last edited by thorman52 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.”
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

smokieonefour

User avatar

Posts: 1793

Images: 3
8195

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Location: Shingle Springs, CA

Post Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:55 pm

Re: Questions, Opinions and Discussions wanted page..."R" ra

OK... I'm liking this thread / idea. :-)

{{ Long Live Free Speech! :-) }}


I'll even start off, from the question-of-the-day "fiasco". LOL

Here's the thing - on the old board, a member started a Bible quote of the day. Just random quotes and when the member was not able to post that day, somebody else posted. The blog was pretty popular and well received.

But as all good things must come to end ( "Nothing Gold Can Stay" - Robert Frost ) it eventually failed. :-( People started "using" religious sayings to passively / aggressively attack other members for slights that they perceived. No more random quotes, but biting, accusing, retribution... that kind of thing. Plus member who started it had a few "Biblical" issues that did not relate to her personality and actions.

At the same time, Michael John started a blog about a guy that he follows and likes. I had never heard of the man before this and looked into him. I kinda liked him and his philosophy. MJ never pushed the guy on anyone - just posted tidbits about and from the guy ... and was met with some hostility.... which I did not understand.

Then, I THINK ( not sure ) we, collectively as a group, made a decision at that time, to not post religious or political stuff.

My point is, my life is fuller and richer for learning about MJ's guy. The Bible quotes - nice as they were - I can look up and read for myself. Maybe somebody else would have put up stuff that they liked ... and maybe I'd like it, maybe I wouldn't ... but the choice was there for me to make. What I like & believe, some might find downright offensive. What some hold so dearly to, I'd laugh at and call them a fool... so who is to say ?

I say open the doors, let in the light ... open your mind, and make your own choices. :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

michaeljohn

User avatar

Posts: 8866

Images: 0
9560

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:06 pm

Post Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:05 pm

Re: Questions, Opinions and Discussions wanted page..."R" ra

leave my name out of threads, i never started a thread about Baba, i posted a video of Pete Townshend called "evolution" a song i had not heard in 15 years and i found it on youtube so i posted it, for that reason.2 members, 1 current asked me about the song and i told them, they wanted to know more about Baba, i was just passing on stuff they could look into, if people wanna talk politics and religion go for it, this site will revert to the days of peanut and it seems that is what you both want, so knock yourselves out. so just pretend i dont exist and leave me name out of it.
I miss you Frehley........
<<

smokieonefour

User avatar

Posts: 1793

Images: 3
8195

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Location: Shingle Springs, CA

Post Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:07 pm

Re: Questions, Opinions and Discussions wanted page..."R" ra

Okie dokie
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

thorman52

User avatar

Posts: 791

Images: 6
9876

Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:23 am

Location: Mishawaka, Indiana

Post Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:02 pm

Re: Questions, Opinions and Discussions wanted page..."R" ra

:?: :?: "The days of peanut" :?: :?: I just don't quite understand. I will always try to keep anyone's name out of a post unless it's absolutely necessary to make a point. Like I stated in my initial post that I will respect all person's opinion whether I agree with them or not.
At least I have one member poster that thinks like me. The biggest word I see in his post is choice. We all wake up each morning with a hundred choices to make throughout the day. Some easy and some we need to stop and think about it. Choice is usually associated with the abortion issues but it encompasses almost every issue of the day. I've made many bad choices throughout my life some that I regret to this day. I also have made many good choices.
I'll go on record to say I'm anti organized religion and a-political. Not that there is no good with religion. Many good deeds are done by the vast array of religions and I can't knock those good deeds. I posted once that you can be religious without adhering to any particular religion. Just do good toward your fellow man and you're on your way. I try to be fair with all my dealings with others. As for politics, well the 2 party system just does not work. To say that a Republican is a radical conservative or a Democrat a flaming liberal is ridiculous. I've known too many moderates in my time to label anyone those ways. I vote every election but have never pulled the lever that includes all party members GOP or Dem. I try to do my homework and at least vote for the lesser evil.
This blog is not intended to be strictly religious or political. Again my fellow member points out the right to freedom of speech. If you want to express your opinion on the Sumatran Rhino or Sumatran elephant, go for it. Both are on the critically endangered species list. I'm here to express my opinion as well as to learn. So, let the games begin.
Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.”
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

emtpickle

Posts: 12

8000

Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:31 pm

Post Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:21 pm

Re: Questions, Opinions and Discussions wanted page..."R" ra

Everyone needs a place to vent and get feedback. Say whatever you want and feel how ever you want. Just be prepare to hear back what you may not want to. You can choose to ignore it or listen. Who cares what others think if you don't like it, everyone is different but you may also learn from other too.
<<

tlmerk

User avatar

Posts: 881

Images: 0
9389

Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:51 pm

Post Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:23 am

Re: Questions, Opinions and Discussions wanted page..."R" ra

thorman52 wrote: :?: :?: "The days of peanut" :?: :?: I just don't quite understand. I will always try to keep anyone's name out of a post unless it's absolutely necessary to make a point. Like I stated in my initial post that I will respect all person's opinion whether I agree with them or not.
At least I have one member poster that thinks like me. The biggest word I see in his post is choice. We all wake up each morning with a hundred choices to make throughout the day. Some easy and some we need to stop and think about it. Choice is usually associated with the abortion issues but it encompasses almost every issue of the day. I've made many bad choices throughout my life some that I regret to this day. I also have made many good choices.
I'll go on record to say I'm anti organized religion and a-political. Not that there is no good with religion. Many good deeds are done by the vast array of religions and I can't knock those good deeds. I posted once that you can be religious without adhering to any particular religion. Just do good toward your fellow man and you're on your way. I try to be fair with all my dealings with others. As for politics, well the 2 party system just does not work. To say that a Republican is a radical conservative or a Democrat a flaming liberal is ridiculous. I've known too many moderates in my time to label anyone those ways. I vote every election but have never pulled the lever that includes all party members GOP or Dem. I try to do my homework and at least vote for the lesser evil.
This blog is not intended to be strictly religious or political. Again my fellow member points out the right to freedom of speech. If you want to express your opinion on the Sumatran Rhino or Sumatran elephant, go for it. Both are on the critically endangered species list. I'm here to express my opinion as well as to learn. So, let the games begin.


When people disagree with you, it doesn't mean they don't like you. I don't know you so I won't accuse you of anything, but I've stated elsewhere, my issue with your post was not about pot, it was about your posting one entire post with nothing but anti-conservative, pro-liberal bumper sticker like quotes in the Question of the Day posts. If you can't understand why some of us thought it was not the place to post that, that is your problem and shows me you're not an introspective type person and you're not really meaning what you just typed about hearing everyone's opinion and learning from it. Do you mean, all the liberals? It's like choosing a side of a fight and then saying you didn't. You posted that post and it wasn't just a sentence that some of us could misunderstand, it was an entire post about anti-conservatives. You have the right to post it, and we have the right to say it was inappropriate and/or offensive. If you didn't expect someone to disagree with you, why would you post it that way? And by the way... this IS exactly the thread where you should be able to post whatever you want, esp. since you started it. However, your very first post on it, made it look like I did not like your marijuana post and that's not my issue at all. Peace and good luck on this thread. Hopefully, people will play nice, no matter how heated the discussions may get on here. We all have a right to our opinions.

Oh, and if you really want active, informative debate, please look at the words you chose--- I have never been accused of demonizing anyone. Kind of hard to have a healthy disagreement with someone who accused me of demonizing them. Mmmmmmm... ??? Guess, time will tell, if you are sincere in your words or not. I hope you are (not the demonizing accusation, the above post). :D
Where there's Smoke, there's fire!
<<

thorman52

User avatar

Posts: 791

Images: 6
9876

Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:23 am

Location: Mishawaka, Indiana

Post Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:07 am

Re: Questions, Opinions and Discussions wanted page..."R" ra

tlmerk wrote:When people disagree with you, it doesn't mean they don't like you. I don't know you so I won't accuse you of anything, but I've stated elsewhere, my issue with your post was not about pot, it was about your posting one entire post with nothing but anti-conservative, pro-liberal bumper sticker like quotes in the Question of the Day posts. If you can't understand why some of us thought it was not the place to post that, that is your problem and shows me you're not an introspective type person and you're not really meaning what you just typed about hearing everyone's opinion and learning from it. Do you mean, all the liberals? It's like choosing a side of a fight and then saying you didn't. You posted that post and it wasn't just a sentence that some of us could misunderstand, it was an entire post about anti-conservatives. You have the right to post it, and we have the right to say it was inappropriate and/or offensive. If you didn't expect someone to disagree with you, why would you post it that way? And by the way... this IS exactly the thread where you should be able to post whatever you want, esp. since you started it. However, your very first post on it, made it look like I did not like your marijuana post and that's not my issue at all. Peace and good luck on this thread. Hopefully, people will play nice, no matter how heated the discussions may get on here. We all have a right to our opinions.

Oh, and if you really want active, informative debate, please look at the words you chose--- I have never been accused of demonizing anyone. Kind of hard to have a healthy disagreement with someone who accused me of demonizing them. Mmmmmmm... ??? Guess, time will tell, if you are sincere in your words or not. I hope you are (not the demonizing accusation, the above post). :D


I'm glad you brought your post at the "Question of the Day" thread to this one. I was not going to answer you there. I've done enough damage there.
First off, my first post in this thread mentions no one. Demonization was a generality as most didn't like my pot post or my liberal quotes post. I doubt very seriously if anyone took the time or effort to see who I might have been singling out or referring to. I didn't have you in mind when writing my first post.
As for my liberal bumper stickers post, I was reacting to two particular parts of a post, whose author will remain nameless in this post.
~ if the environmentalists don't choke the life out of humans,
~ if the ( ultra ) liberal politics don't run you out
I was kinda p.o.'d that anyone would put down environmentalists. I agree some go way left with their liberal ideas but as a whole, environmentalists want what most of us want. Clean air, clean water and as for me I'd like to see the polluters of the environment, referring to Big Oil, pay their share in cleaning up the mess they deny making.
For a long time I was very active in the GasBuddy.com's blogs, especially those concerning the environment. It started with a simple question like "What do you think about fracking?" I had no idea what fracking was so I started my research. After about 200 people voiced their opinion, it came down to myself and one other against 3-4 Big Oil supporters. That led to more and more research and all the previous posters just reading our back and forth "point" - "counter point" exchanges. Well, it got pretty heated to the point that GasBuddy.com pulled the plug and locked the blog. On the upside, I learned an awful lot in the 2 months this went on.
Anyway, I picked and chose the quotes I posted and I really can't see any that don't have at least some truth to it. Do you think I should have confronted the person making those accusations? Maybe so before I posted my thoughts. Inappropriate? Offensive? Maybe so, to some. Yes this is why I started this blog because anyone can express their opinion, whether I agree with them or not. Maybe I'll just ignore the opinions I disagree with. Maybe not.
I probably didn't clear anything up but thanks for bringing your concerns to this blog.
I'm getting tired now as it's 3:00 a.m. and the Tony's Coins game turns over to a new day. Wish me luck. :lol:
Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.”
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

smokieonefour

User avatar

Posts: 1793

Images: 3
8195

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Location: Shingle Springs, CA

Post Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:29 pm

Re: Questions, Opinions and Discussions wanted page..."R" ra

emtpickle wrote:Everyone needs a place to vent and get feedback. Say whatever you want and feel how ever you want. Just be prepare to hear back what you may not want to. You can choose to ignore it or listen. Who cares what others think if you don't like it, everyone is different but you may also learn from other too.


Love this ^^^ :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

smokieonefour

User avatar

Posts: 1793

Images: 3
8195

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Location: Shingle Springs, CA

Post Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:32 pm

Re: Questions, Opinions and Discussions wanted page..."R" ra

thorman52 wrote: :?: :?: "The days of peanut" :?: :?: I just don't quite understand. I will always try to keep anyone's name out of a post unless it's absolutely necessary to make a point. Like I stated in my initial post that I will respect all person's opinion whether I agree with them or not.
At least I have one member poster that thinks like me. The biggest word I see in [i]his
post is choice. We all wake up each morning with a hundred choices to make throughout the day. Some easy and some we need to stop and think about it. Choice is usually associated with the abortion issues but it encompasses almost every issue of the day. I've made many bad choices throughout my life some that I regret to this day. I also have made many good choices.
I'll go on record to say I'm anti organized religion and a-political. Not that there is no good with religion. Many good deeds are done by the vast array of religions and I can't knock those good deeds. I posted once that you can be religious without adhering to any particular religion. Just do good toward your fellow man and you're on your way. I try to be fair with all my dealings with others. As for politics, well the 2 party system just does not work. To say that a Republican is a radical conservative or a Democrat a flaming liberal is ridiculous. I've known too many moderates in my time to label anyone those ways. I vote every election but have never pulled the lever that includes all party members GOP or Dem. I try to do my homework and at least vote for the lesser evil.
This blog is not intended to be strictly religious or political. Again my fellow member points out the right to freedom of speech. If you want to express your opinion on the Sumatran Rhino or Sumatran elephant, go for it. Both are on the critically endangered species list. I'm here to express my opinion as well as to learn. So, let the games begin.
[/i]



Um, Thorman? Loved all this ... but ... I'm a female.
Think Jessica Rabbit - "I'm not bad ... I'm just drawn that way." ;-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

thorman52

User avatar

Posts: 791

Images: 6
9876

Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:23 am

Location: Mishawaka, Indiana

Post Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:08 pm

Re: Questions, Opinions and Discussions wanted page..."R" ra

smokieonefour wrote:
Um, Thorman? Loved all this ... but ... I'm a female.
Think Jessica Rabbit - "I'm not bad ... I'm just drawn that way." ;-)

thorman52 states emphatically:
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.”
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

tlmerk

User avatar

Posts: 881

Images: 0
9389

Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:51 pm

Post Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:14 pm

Re: Questions, Opinions and Discussions wanted page..."R" ra

smokieonefour wrote:Okie dokie


Okay then!?????????? :D
Where there's Smoke, there's fire!
<<

thorman52

User avatar

Posts: 791

Images: 6
9876

Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:23 am

Location: Mishawaka, Indiana

Post Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:07 pm

Re: Questions, Opinions and Discussions wanted page..."R" ra

First the days of peanut now Jessica rabbit. you people are way above my head. I'm going to pose the first question...What you all think of grilled onions??? :mrgreen:
Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.”
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

tlmerk

User avatar

Posts: 881

Images: 0
9389

Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:51 pm

Post Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:49 pm

Re: Questions, Opinions and Discussions wanted page..."R" ra

Okay... that was funny!!!
Where there's Smoke, there's fire!
<<

smokieonefour

User avatar

Posts: 1793

Images: 3
8195

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Location: Shingle Springs, CA

Post Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:19 pm

Re: Questions, Opinions and Discussions page

I do not like grilled onions, Thorman-I-am

I do not want them grilled
I do not want them pilled

I will not eat them over there
I will not eat them anywhere!

I do not like grilled onions, can't you see?
I do not like them, now let me be!

I do not like grilled onions, Thorman-I-am
I do not like them, understand ?

hee hee hee
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
Next

Return to The Lobby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

cron
stewart haas logo footer



Terms of Use  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Policy  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us
COPYRIGHT © STEWART-HAAS RACING, LLC. All rights reserved.
Do not duplicate or redistribute in any form.
Approved by Tony Stewart & Gene Haas
PLEASE REPORT ANY PROBLEMS OR COMMENTS TO THE WEBMASTER