FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Christmas Stories & Memories

<<

smokieonefour

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:19 pm

Christmas Stories & Memories

Does anyone have any Christmas stories they'd like to share? :-)

Your best? Your worst?

Heart warming? Terrifying?

Best Present? The funniest?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

What are some of the things you associate with Christmas? Besides...

Christmas trees, presents, stockings, family and meal... what else?
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

smokieonefour

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:28 pm

Re: Christmas Stories & Memories

OK, I'll start with a funny story, I always think of at Christmas time. When one of my nephews was young, he was a 110% T E R R O R ! ! ! We used to say the only payback he would ever get, is if he has a son, worse than himself, mischief wise. Well years later, he's a grown man with a family of his own now... and yes... he got that son! So one Christmas, the kid sneaks down in the dead of night and unwraps a few presents, because he can't wait. He doesn't know what to do, to hide the wrapping paper, so he shoves it up a heating vent...not too far from the tree.

Well you can guess what happened next, when the heat kicked on... instant fire. They all escaped, unharmed... but the Christmas tree and all presents were not so lucky. The firemen showed my nephew what started the fire and the kid cracked & admitted what he did. In an instant of anger, my nephew spanked him for almost burning down the whole house, but at least burning down the tree and presents. The kid went to school and told his teacher. Enter CPS - knock - knock - knock.

So my nephew tells them the whole story and they listen intently. When he was done, the CPS people said ( paraphrasing ) "We understand that the holidays can bring a lot of stress by itself and now the fire.... we understand. Here's $100 for each kid ( for new presents ) $500 for mom & dad and $1,000 for "the household." ? ? ? ? ?

Only in the state of Washington could a parent spank his child for burning down the Christmas tree... and get paid to do it! :-D

Some of the things I associate Christmas with is snow, silver bells and holly :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

<<

beaverpond

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:59 am

My parents hated going Christmas shopping because it was like I had ESP. I would come home from school or they would come home from Christmas Shopping and I would say "have you been out Christmas Shopping today?" After a few years of this they would deny they had been.

Allow me to back up for a minute. Before taking anything out of the trunk or going in the house, I would tell them what they bought me for Christmas that day. It infurated them beyond belief. So after a few years they would start denying they had been Christmas Shopping. So it got worse. On Christmas Day, I would just sit there and look at each gift and say what it was and it did not matter if it was mine or somebody else's gift. My sister thought it was cool for a few years, this way she would open what she thought sounded interesting and toss aside what did not. :lol:

My parents, in their infinate wisdom, thought one year they had me beat. They started wrapping small gifts in really large boxes and I mean huge boxes. Sorry, didn't work. You want to see steam come out of somebody's ears. I really thought they were going to blow a gasket. :twisted:

I do have to be honest. Two years ago was the first time they got one over on me. They gave me my very first Tony Stewart Jacket. It is one of the black ones. :mrgreen:

Now this is a gift...an annoying gift...but one I would never trade.

My mother has used the statement of "I hope you have a child just like you" on all three of us kids. Well, my sister and brother both got their punishment. Mine take after their mother. Thank goodness. I would be in such huge trouble...bigger than my brother and sister could even imagine. OY 8-)
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:02 am

evel knevel doll and motorcycle...........

i havent celebrated xmas for almost 30 years since my grandma passed away xmas nite,
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

ndunn

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:15 pm

I have no patience when it comes to waiting for anything so when I was a young girl I had asked for a certain doll so I went snooping to see if it was in the house. I found the doll in my parents closet. Then I went hunting to see if my Dad had made the cradle and sure enough he had and hid it on the other side of the furnace. My give away was I cannot fake anything so I wasn't surprised with the gifts and my parents were not happy.

The dumb thing happened the year I was expecting my first child. I had medical issues and couldn't leave the house for 5 months so at Christmas my inlaws came to visit us. My mother-in-law woke up around 5 am and thought she'd better get the turkey in the oven. The dinner was ready at about 10 am. My father-in-law was furious with her.

One of the most satisfying Christmas was the first year after my husband graduated from college. The money situation was tight so I deceided to make all of my gifts. I made my young sisters and mother night gowns and knit my father a sweater. I made my mother-in-law a dress and knit a sweater to match. I really didn't think much about this until years later when I remembered that Christmas. It was a lot of work but love went into every piece.

The funniest situation was our first Christmas. My Dad had told my husband I was a snooper. I did not know that. We lived off campus near my work so we had a decent sized apartment. I started looking and I looked everywhere and even our storage locker. I even checked the car trunk. Nothing! I thought he wasn't really interested in shopping after the year before. Well what he had done was he asked the person across the hall if sh'e store my gifts. Well since they got to surprise me they all got a big laugh. I didn't have the sense of humor the rest of the family had.

The worst gift idea was the year we were engaged. I received a diamond ring and it was beautiful but along with that he gave me a set of 6 matching glasses. He could never explain that and to this day I think it was a stupid gift.

The most fun I've have had lately picking out gifts for one of my sisters was finding something with a train theme. She is interested as our grandfather was a conductor on the New York Central freight train. Last year I gave her a calendar with a different vintage train for each month. This year I'm giving her a pair of pillow cases from kids bedding with trains all over. She will love it.

Merry Christmas Everyone.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:21 pm

I think the best memory was last year, it snowed. First time in more than a century that it had snowed in Georgia on Christmas day. And this wasn't just a little puny dusting. This was a full-fledged snow that stayed on the ground for a few days.

Maybe the funniest memories come from Christmas 1994. My brother, who was always the one who would be snooping to see what he could find before it was wrapped - and found a lot of stuff - was messing around in the presents. I was in the bedroom (was a one bedroom apartment for my parents, him, and me) playing with race cars when I hear all this yelling and stuff. Turns out he had poked a hole in one of the packages and discovered that they had gotten him and me each the hot ticket item at Christmas '94: a Power Ranger! Well, my dad was furious, he took both figures (they were wrapped a certain way) and was going to take them back, but after a few minutes he went ahead and gave them to us. We ended up repeating the process like a week later. That time it was RoboCop action figures.

In 2001, his snooping just about cost us dearly. He found that our parents had gotten us a Playstation 2, the video game Jak and Daxter for him, and NASCAR Thunder 2002 for me. He swore they'd gotten it and i told him he was full of crap and to quit messing with me. Finally he dragged me to their bedroom to show me. FIguring to do the right thing, I told my parents what he'd done. My mom blew up on both of us, even though it wasn't me. Well, Christmas Eve morning (when we'd open our gifts, we couldn't wait, haha) arrived and we were opening things. We came upon the Playstation 2 box and opened it to find....two pairs of boots. I shot him the death glare and was about ready to knock him out when our parents handed us another unmarked box. Sure enough, it had the game system and both of our games.

There's a funny thing about Christmastime, I can remember certain physical aspects and scents and stuff from each year. Sometimes I wish I couldn't because the times weren't good or things that came afterwards have soured the memories.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

smokieonefour

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:22 pm

Those were nice stories and it was nice to read them. :-)

I forgot ALL about "the cat opening the presents" - that's when you play with a cat, around the presents and the cat accidentally scratches open some wrapping paper. Well... the first time is accidental.... taking the cat's paws and raking them down selected presents is just plain wrong! LOL

MJ, sorry to hear - hope you'll be OK thru the holidays :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

<<

beaverpond

Post Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:37 am

One of few fond memories of Christmas was at my Grandparents house...that was a rarity. It only happened twice while I was growing up. This was actually one time my father told me no guessing or saying who is getting what or doing whatever it is you do. Consider this your first, last, and only warning. You know, this was probably the first time I think he actually meant it. It scared me. :shock:

Anyway, in an effort, because he did not trust me, he drove down well in advance to drop off the gifts and hid them in my grandparents garage. My sister was all freaked out that Santa would not find her and I just had to start. I actually lost gifts that Christmas. Somehow, that just ain't right. We were not at my grandparents house yet and some how I was not helping my case any. They did showup several months later at my birthday. :?
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:45 am

thanks smokie, ill be ok :)
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

NascarNanaOK

Post Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:02 am

I think my best memory about Christmas was the double Christmas. At my mother's parents, I was the only child of the only child, so I was the center of attention. And I loved my mother's parents dearly.

At my father's parents house, I was the only child of the youngest of five siblings. I may have been the youngest grandchild, but I was really just one of the many kids. This was where I sat at the kid's table, and liked it. I had cousins old enough to have kids as old as I was. I loved being in the middle of all those people and belonging.

Hope your Holiday Memories this year are fond. And I hope all who want it, receive lots of Tony, Ryan, and Danika gear! LOL
14 to win in '14

He has Risen!

Nascar Nana OK
<<

ndunn

Post Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:36 am

I really enjoyed all the back in time stories.
Have a great Christmas to all.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

muskrat3

Post Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:09 pm

I love this Idea.
I used to think the best Christmas I had was in 1978, My DaD WAS ON A REMOTE to Korea. He wasn't expected back until after the first of the year. Christmas morning I can down from my room and there was a huge present by the tree. I unwrapped it and yes it was my Dad. That same year my grandad took me out side to prove to me that Santa had been there. There were sled marks and deer tracks in the snow.(Grandad was had also got a 6 point buck that year ;) .
BUT Now this year, we got a 14 foot trampoline for my youngest son. WARNING: If the Directions start out with requires 3 strong healthy adults for assembly, BELIEVE IT!!. I was watching thier father and them attempt this task. (Pics are on my Facebook page) when I hear their Dad yell F!*&k, and closely followed by oldest son's (the marine) Double F*!k I ask what is wrong, They had set the frame up upside down. I laughed until I cried and went back in to cook dinner.
All was not lost 5 hours later the trampoline was set up and Joy was restored
I would rather be hated for who Iam the Loved for What Iam not

Return to The Lobby