FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Bye Bye Darian ???????

<<

justlisa

Post Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:30 pm

Bye Bye Darian ???????

Tony Stewart Crew Chief Darian Grubb: I'm Out Of A Job After Winning NASCAR Championship
Nov
10:07p
by Jeff Gluck

Tony Stewart's championship-winning crew chief, Darian Grubb, says he's been fired.

Grubb, speaking after he and Stewart won the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series title on Sunday night, said he was told prior to the Charlotte Chase race that he would not be welcomed back by Stewart-Haas Racing next season.

"I always wanted to stay with the organization," he said. "That's the reason I came here – to build something special."

The crew chief said "we'll see in this coming week how things change," but didn't sound optimistic he would be back.

Told the news was baffling considering his team had just won the championship, Grubb said, "it still is to me, honestly."

Grubb left the door open for a return to SHR if the team wanted him back. He said he's already been talking other teams and that the relationship between he and Stewart "was a little tough and strained" after he learned he'd been fired.

Would Grubb return to SHR if asked?

"It all depends," he said. "We'll just have to do those talks this week and see what happens."

(This story will be updated after Stewart addresses the media within the next hour)

this is the link addy http://www.sbnation.com/nascar/2011/11/ ... x.facebook
<<

longtimetonyfan

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:36 am

Re: Bye Bye Darian ???????

I know that I as well as a lot of people here have felt that Darian needed to be replaced as crew chief, but I couldn't help but feel sorry for him last nite while he was talking about this in Victory Lane. I honestly don't know what my feelings are about him as a crew chief. :?:
remember to enjoy life.....none of us are going to get out alive anyway
<<

tonycrazy

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:42 am

I really just dont understand any of this...Tony is a better person than this....there has got to be more we r not bein told....i dont see Darian lving completely and TG hangin around....that man has been a screw up since day one....Tony is loyal to his ppl....and stands behind their achievments...always has thats why he has maintained a great organization in all his ventures....Even if Addington comes over he is still short a cc...y let a great guy go when u need one....im just thinking we arent being told the whole story...

tc

<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:30 pm

Read an article this morn that said now it's uncertain now that Tony won the championship. So we'll have to see what plays out in the next few weeks.
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

ndunn

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:47 pm

This may sound a little off base but I have a theory that this was part of the plan when Tony hired Darian away from Hendricks. He would stay long enough with StewartHass Racing until they were established and then he'd go back to Hendricks Racing. Well I'd say with a 3rd championship for Tony they are established. If things aren't so great with Gibson why not get rid of him? There is way more to this than what has been let out. I never quite understood why they got rid of the competetion director except for the fact the man being a widower has a lot more responsibility with his young children and needed more time to be with the children. I'm sure this will be clear by the time to go to the Banquet in LasVegas.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

beaverpond

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:48 pm

Then it could also leave us all scratching our heads for quite some time because it is a personel matter.

I mean we have seen Tony in the Chase for the past three years and not get anywhere until this year and did not win any races until the Chase this year. There were some pretty lame calls by Darian that left me scratching my head as to why he would do that and maybe Tony had just had enough. And Tony could have just decided that this is it. Now we wait for the next move.

So do we like this chess game?
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:33 pm

UPDATE 2: Crew chief Darian Grubb, who made several key calls in helping #14-Tony Stewart win his third Sprint Cup championship on Sunday at Homestead-Miami Speedway, is looking for a job. Grubb said after Stewart won the title by a tiebreaker over Carl Edwards that he was told midway through the Chase at Charlotte that he would not be back with Stewart-Haas Racing in 2012. Sources close to the situation told ESPN.com that Grubb has been offered a job to return to Hendrick Motorsports, where worked for four seasons as an engineer and administrative assistant. Sources also said Grubb, who won a Daytona 500 as an interim crew chief for Jimmie Johnson, has been contacted by Michael Waltrip Racing and several other teams about a crew chief job. Stewart declined to discuss whether winning the title has changed his mind on Grubb possibly returning.
Among the speculation is that Stewart will hire former Joe Gibbs Racing crew chief Greg Zipadelli to be his director of competition and Steve Addington, the crew chief for #22-Kurt Busch at Penske Racing, to be his crew chief. JGR president J.D. Gibbs told ESPN.com before Sunday's finale that he planned to have Zipadelli, who is under contract for 2012 and beyond, back next season with Joey Logano and the #20 team. Sources said Addington is not expected to return to Penske Racing, but could not confirm where he would go. Grubb said he would sit down with Stewart this week and see where things stand. Asked if winning the title would change things, he said, "It all depends.'

these are just words from jayski, i dont know the truth behind them, but it makes me mad as a newman supporter to see tony making all of these changes to his team and nothing gets done to ryan's, yea i get it, its his team, he gets the best sponsors, the better crew chief, people wanna make fun of chad and mr H but #### at least they make changes when things dont go right. if tubby is back on the box in febuary, it shows the 39 team is a 2nd rate team, unless ryan is head over heels for tubby which i seriously doubt..
I miss you Frehley........
<<

smokieonefour

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:20 pm

What is bizarre.. as well... is Darian was supposed to have been fired AFTER Charlotte, which is the 6th race of the chase. Tony won the first two chase races... so was transpired 4 races later??

There is ( complete, 100% ) SPECULATION that Darian spoke up to Tony, that he didn't like the way some things are going ... and was shown the door, after the chase. Then they win... and now it's all being examined again to see if that's the way they want to go forward.

If Tony does bring Steve A over.... then man oh man, will I ever be in Heaven! :-) The man is a genius. And speaking of genius.... if one notices... Darian is always taking unconventional chances, like only perhaps the likes of Chad does. When they work, the man is a genius... when they don't, he needs to be replaced. Gets a little confusing sometimes.... LOL

As far as Tony G goes.... I remain convinced that he has some photographs, locked away in a safe somewhere, on Tony S. Hee hee hee

I hope Darian stays.
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

wolfgang

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:07 pm

When you compare the regular season to the chase,i can't help but wonder if Darian was actually calling the shots or how much HMS was actually involved at this time? Darian said, luck just began to fall their way.
WHEN THE GREEN FLAG DROPS, THE B.S. STOPS !
<<

ndunn

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:45 pm

Smoke14Wins wrote:Read an article this morn that said now it's uncertain now that Tony won the championship. So we'll have to see what plays out in the next few weeks.

After I read this post I went to nascar.com and research story headlines and couldn't find anything remotely suggesting something was wrong with the championship. I even went into the News Archives and some were dated late this afternoon. It's hard to believe they weren't sure on who was champion. On speed they showed a situation a few years back in a truck series where it took some time to determine the champion because of someone who was close to winning did something that he was black flaged over and so they had to refigure as several racers were close to being eligible. It's junk articles that are put out that is a big pain.

Didn't Helton hand the trophy to Tony?
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:52 pm

ndunn wrote:
Smoke14Wins wrote:Read an article this morn that said now it's uncertain now that Tony won the championship. So we'll have to see what plays out in the next few weeks.

After I read this post I went to nascar.com and research story headlines and couldn't find anything remotely suggesting something was wrong with the championship. I even went into the News Archives and some were dated late this afternoon. It's hard to believe they weren't sure on who was champion. On speed they showed a situation a few years back in a truck series where it took some time to determine the champion because of someone who was close to winning did something that he was black flaged over and so they had to refigure as several racer were close to be eligible. It's junk articles that are put out that is a big pain.

no NDUNN....its the Darian thing that's uncertain, not the Championship. Don't worry.
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:15 am

im all for helton taking the trophy back. haahhahaha, relax its a joke.
<<

ndunn

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:08 am

midwesternsmoke wrote:
ndunn wrote:

After I read this post I went to nascar.com and research story headlines and couldn't find anything remotely suggesting something was wrong with the championship. I even went into the News Archives and some were dated late this afternoon. It's hard to believe they weren't sure on who was champion. On speed they showed a situation a few years back in a truck series where it took some time to determine the champion because of someone who was close to winning did something that he was black flaged over and so they had to refigure as several racer were close to be eligible. It's junk articles that are put out that is a big pain.

no NDUNN....its the Darian thing that's uncertain, not the Championship. Don't worry.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. You would have thought Tony was my kid yesterday as annoyed as I was thinking someone in the press was trying to put a black mark on Tony's championship.
Whew....it's a relief. As for Tony and the Darian situation it will be settled one way or another.

<<

justlisa

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:47 pm

I am feeling bad for Darian, even know hes not my ideal pick for cc. I have been unhappy with some of his calls this year, but Tony did win a championship. I am very curious to see the outcome on all this, but I hope Darian is able to enjoy this championship.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:53 pm

not every cc makes the right call, i can count three times chad cost JJ a race by saying he had enough gas when eventually he ran out, these people are human, even tubby ( tho his whole career is based ob excuses) if the chad does get promoted in HMS, i wouldnt mind seein grubb be the new cc for the 48, i think it is lame if grubb has been let go, like some of the reports say..
Next

Return to The Lobby