FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Deadliest Catch - Season 10

<<

HiddenHollow

Post Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:08 pm

Deadliest Catch - Season 10

Deadliest Catch Renewed For Season 8

Deadliest Catch Renewed For Season 9

Discovery has ordered another season of the perilous crab fishing series.

April 14, 2011

Discovery is bringing back Deadliest Catch for an eighth season. The announcement was made today as the network unveiled its 2011-2012 upfront slate.

The series captures all the gripping action of one of the world's most dangerous jobs - Alaskan crab fishing. Season 7 kicked off earlier this week with a two-hour premiere on April 12.

(Source: TV by the Numbers)
Last edited by HiddenHollow on Thu May 22, 2014 9:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:12 pm

Re: Deadliest Catch - Season 8

Posted on October 7, 2011 - by Morgan Howard

Cornelia Marie in shipyard

As the Deadliest Catch boats prepare for the October 15th King Crab opening, the Cornelia Marie sits in dry dock. The CM has been in dry dock at Ketchikan, Alaska for a few weeks and will likely be there for a couple more. We are simply performing maintenance and taking care of some issues. In fact, I just spoke with Dave Mahler, the naval architect and marine engineer who did the extension work on the CM in 1995. He spoke about how the CM is a good, seaworthy vessel. We talked about the unique design of the CM with its two tunnels along the side of the boat connecting the engine room with the forepeak. The FV Cornelia Marie was built specifically for the rough seas of Alaska and performs as well as any boat out there. Once it’s all painted and looking good, I will post some pictures.

So where is the CM crew? Capt. Tony Lara is working the Cornelia Marie while in dry dock. Tony will take the boat back to Kodiak for more work once the shipyard is finished with her. Capt. Tony has been a big help to the CM family, we couldn’t do this work without his guidance. Jake and Josh will be fishing the King Crab opening, just not on the CM. They are fishermen and like the rest of us, need to work to make money. They are both going to be deckhands on different boats for this year’s opening. Thanks to some good friends in the fleet, they both have jobs this season. I believe Ryan Simpson is now working on the FV Incentive. Dale Pruitt is currently fish Cod out of Kodiak. Troy “Chief” Huls will continue to work on the Columbia River.

The quota for King Crab this year was cut in half. We all knew the quota would be cut but didn’t think it would be this deep. Hopefully, the price is up and the fellas catch them quickly with no injuries. However, there is some good news… the snow crab harvest nearly doubled. The fleet usually starts fishing for Opilios mid January. The Cornelia Marie is a fishing boat and a #### good one… so we’ll be back stronger than ever! Thank you to everyone who supports us and sticks by us! We really appreciate it!

Cornelia Marie1.jpg
Cornelia Marie1.jpg (58.75 KiB) Viewed 7097 times
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:23 pm

Alaska braces for "epic" storm; evacuations begin

By Yereth Rosen | Reuters – 2 hrs 36 mins ago

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (Reuters) - An "epic" storm was bearing down on western Alaska on Tuesday, the National Weather Service said, warning that it could be one of the worst on record for the state.

The storm, moving inland from the Aleutian Islands, was expected to bring hurricane-force winds with gusts up to 100 miles per hour, heavy snowfall, widespread coastal flooding and severe erosion to most of Alaska's west coast, the National Weather Service said.

"This will be an extremely dangerous and life threatening storm of an epic magnitude rarely experienced," the service said in a special warning message.

Nome and the rest of the Seward Peninsula, a section of land that juts out toward Siberia, were expected to be the hardest-hit areas, said Andy Brown, lead forecaster for the National Weather Service in Anchorage.

Powerful storms in the North Pacific and Bering Sea are common this time of year, but this event is unusual because of its trajectory, Brown said.

"It's going very far north," he said.

Officials in Nome issued an evacuation order late on Tuesday for people living along Front Street, a beachside avenue that serves as the finish line for the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race, and for other low-lying areas in town.

At least three other communities were housing residents in local shelters as of Tuesday afternoon, said Bryan Fisher, chief of operations for the Alaska Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management.

But long-distance evacuations from the remote region were not considered feasible, Fisher told a media briefing in Anchorage.

NATIVE VILLAGES IN HARM'S WAY

"Air traffic will not be flying in the weather that we're expecting in the next 24 to 48 hours," he said.

Posing an additional threat is the lack of sea ice off northwestern Alaska, forecasters said.

The last time a storm of a similar magnitude was sent in the same northward direction was 1974, but the sea surface was much more frozen then, Brown said.

"History tells that the sea ice helps subdue the storm surge," Brown said. "With no sea ice there, we could see the full brunt of that 6- to 9-foot storm surge."

Arctic sea ice this year reached the second-lowest coverage since satellite records began in 1979, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center in Boulder, Colorado.

"Forty years ago, a big storm like this would come through and the sea ice would act as sort of a buffer," said Mark Serreze, director of the Snow and Ice Data Center.

"The Bering Sea has and always will have these strong storms. What is different now is their potential destructiveness as you lose the sea ice cover," he added.

Federal, state and local agencies were making emergency preparations in advance of the storm. The state Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management set up an incident command, with numerous agencies coordinating responses.

The U.S. Coast Guard said it has staged helicopters in the region and sent a cutter to prepare for emergency responses, with a special focus on the crab-fishing fleet.

Numerous government agencies have set up an incident command, said Jeremy Zidek, a spokesman for the Alaska Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management.

Nome, with 3,600 residents, is one of the largest cities in western Alaska. The communities spread along the coastline are mostly traditional Native settlements, with a few hundred to a few thousand inhabitants, and no roads linking communities.

Although the region is sparsely populated, the storm presents significant dangers, Alaska Senator Mark Begich said in a written statement.

"I realize we are in a remote part of the country, but many people and communities are in harm's way," Begich said.

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:26 pm

'Deadliest Catch' crewmember falls ill and rescued

By RACHEL D'ORO - Associated Press | AP – 2 hrs 28 mins ago

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Rescuers flew a member of the cable TV series "Deadliest Catch" fishing crew to a remote clinic in Alaska after he collapsed and showed signs of shock and dehydration on board a fishing vessel in the Bering Sea, the Coast Guard said Tuesday.

The agency didn't identify the 28-year-old man but said he's a crewmember of the 150-foot Wizard, part of the hit Discovery Channel reality series that depicts the crab fishing industry in the dangerous waters off Alaska.

Discovery didn't immediately provide information and emails seeking details that were sent through the website of the Seattle-based Wizard were not immediately answered.

A Coast Guard helicopter crew flew the man Monday afternoon to a clinic in the Alaska Peninsula community of Cold Bay, 60 miles to the south. He was then flown to an Anchorage hospital.

Waves were only about 3-feet high when he fell ill. The National Weather Service said it occurred before the arrival of a huge storm brewing in the Bering Sea.

Wendy Whitney, a nurse practitioner at the Cold Bay clinic, said privacy laws prevented her from identifying the crewmember. But she said the man was conscious at the clinic, adding that his condition wasn't seasickness and needed further evaluation.

The man was flown Monday night to Providence Alaska Medical Center in Anchorage and was stabilized with intravenous fluids. He appeared be feeling better before he departed on the medical flight to the medical center, Whitney said.

The illness comes less than nine months after a crew member of another "Deadliest Catch" fishing vessel was found dead in an Alaska motel room. Justin Tennison, who worked on the Time Bandit, was found dead in Homer in February amid beer, hard liquor and a small amount of marijuana in a room where police believe a party had taken place the night before.

Last year, Capt. Phil Harris of the "Deadliest Catch" fishing vessel Cornelia Marie died following a massive stroke at age 53.

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

duffygoofy

Post Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:29 pm

Cant wait to watch the next season. Hope its going to be better than the last.
ImageImage
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:32 pm

From what I read & posted, it sounds like the season is off to a rough start. That big storm sounds real dangerous. Should make for interesting viewing.

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

azk8ster

Post Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:03 pm

Once i first heard about this storm, i was wondering if the fleet was already out for King season. Prayers to everyone affected, be it on land or sea.
"Faith is believing in things when common sense tells you not to"
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:15 pm

Remember, the new season of Deadliest Catch starts Tuesday, April 10 at 9PM ET :!:

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

adny1030

Post Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:57 pm

Thanks for the reminder HH.. this show is one of my big obsessions!
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:09 pm

Did you DC fans remember to watch Tuesday night? The site was down so I couldn't post a reminder.

Mrs HH & I watched. ;) :D :D

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

duffygoofy

Post Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:49 am

No i missed it. :( but it will show it again this week.
ImageImage
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:10 pm

Aw, too bad, Duffy. By all means, watch it when it is shown again. Looks like it will be aired Tuesday, at 8PM ET, just before the new episode at 9PM.

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:23 pm

OK Gang... tonight at 9PM ET. Duffy, you have to tune in at 8PM ET to see last week's episode. ;) :D :D

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

duffygoofy

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:11 am

Thanks HH.
I remembered this time.
ImageImage
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:21 pm

:D Good, glad to hear it. :D

Nothing too exciting so far this season... just their struggles with the quota being cut in half. :|

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
Next

Return to The Lobby